I'm considering it...

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by MAzing87, Mar 26, 2010.

1. MAzing87

MAzing87 New Member

I am really considering rooting my Droid. I have been having a lot of problems with my Droid the past month from hanging black screens, not being able to make calls because the dialer won't load or it'll force close, to a lot of force closes on the home alt apps (Home++ and panda91), and even dropped calls. I called VZW and they told me to reprogram my phone once a month. It works after a day but the same problems return. Before, my gf who has a BB would call my Droid a pos, and I used to defend it, but I can't even do that anymore because of the dropped calls I've had.

I read the Hack section, and have no clue what the lingo or what most people are talking about. If I do take a plunge and root, do I need to be on a pc to start, or can I simply just save the links/files from my browser within the droid?

I hope someone can point me in the right direction to figure what I need to do to enhance my phone without bricking it. What's the first steps to root, what ROMs are the best or top of the line, etc. Thank you all in advance who decides to give input.
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  2. Yakuzagang5

Yakuzagang5 New Member

Ive been rooted since the first day lol its awesome, easy, and with SPRecovery, Ive found it impossible to brick, not that it cant be done, just saying that I put my phone through a lot and it runs perfectly.

I know I shouldn't refer somewhere else, but its the best way, video shown, how to do everything you want.

Video Guides - Rooting, Nandroid backup, Unrooting, Cust ROM

And all of this stuff CAN be done directly from your phone, but in order to download some of the files you will need Linda File Manager. After you install it reboot the phone just to make sure, and it will let you download any file from the internet.
  3. MAzing87

MAzing87 New Member

I will take a look at that link. Thank you for your post!
  4. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

5. Moondonkey

Moondonkey New Member

I am rooted, and rooting is great , but for you, I would not recommend it at this time.

If you are having problems such as lots of dropped calls and etc, you could very well have a bad phone or some other problem that Verizon could help you with. If you need their help, you need your phone to be stock.

Rooting is done by most people for extra customization, control and overclocking. It is not a fix for your problems.

I would recommend uninstalling all of your apps, especially your theme apps and see if your problems go away. Only once you get your phone to a stable state, then begin thinking of rooting.
  6. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

I'm rooted and have no regrets. If you are serious, I suggest that you read, read, read, and read some more. Watch the videos. Make a list of questions then research or post. I used Matth3W's (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ha...-phone-2-1-rom-o-c-mm-boot-animation-etc.html) tutorial because it is very comprehensive and he takes you step by step through the rooting, installing SPRecovery, Nandroid backup, and installing the rom, over clocking, etc.

I printed his tutorial made notes and rooted my phone.

Mike
  7. korp

korp New Member

The alternative homescreen apps frequently force close ... main reason why people try and get away from them if they can. When you root you get 5 screens by default .... helixlauncher is the only homescreen app that has never force closed on me. You may try that without even needing to root.

There are plenty of how-to root guides and make the process fairly simple. There are even some apps that will do everything for you even though I suggest you do it the long way first ... (like in school ... learn to add before you use a calculator). The favorite roms are basically: bugless beast, smoked glass, simply stunning, droidmod and cyanogen.
  8. MJ5150

MJ5150 New Member

Rooting your Droid is not done as a means to resolve technical issues with the device.

-Mike
  9. MAzing87

MAzing87 New Member

I can unroot right?
  10. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

11. MAzing87

MAzing87 New Member

I deleted a lot of the apps I don't really use. I even deleted Home++ and panda. Went back to stock home, and its running more smoothly like the first time I bought it.
  12. TekHawk

TekHawk New Member

+1

take that thing back to the vzw store it is still under warrenty tell them its the problems your having that you where told to do that bs once a month and it only fixs it for a day and that its impacting your productvy and that you want to swap it out with a new unit under warrenty then root the new one that works 10times better
  13. MAzing87

MAzing87 New Member

Very true. I will definitely do that.
  14. papy72

papy72 New Member

I agree with this advice. Rooting your phone isn't going to solve your problems if your problem is a bad phone to start with.

I also saw someone mention removing all your apps and seeing if that helps. This is also good advice. Sometimes apps won't work-and-play well together, or you may have mis-configured them. For example, if you have a task killer and it isn't setup correctly it can cause you one headache after another.

Hope this helps.

P
  15. korp

korp New Member