Im confused

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by sir2545, Dec 27, 2009.

1. sir2545

sir2545 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I rooted my phone this morning and just changed my Boot Animation. I want to do more things but I dont know exactly what I need. I have ADB installed, but some of these codes require busybox??...whats the difference? What do all these different programs do and why do I need them? I can figure things out pretty quickly, I just need to know what everything does? I've looked at tutorials, and youtube videos to get me this far, but I need a little better explanation of these programs..Thanks in advance

2. tdawg5480

tdawg5480 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    busybox-----read this BusyBox - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    honestly if you dont know you shouldnt be tinkering and modding, a stable reliable full function custom rom has not hit the scene yet. when the droid custom rom era is in full force like the G1 I can see wanting to. Dont rush and search is your friend. If you searched as you said busybox wiki would of been the number one on googles search page. Not trying to be rude btw either....Nandroid is your friend if you tinker

3. Berzerker

Berzerker Member

Ratings:
    +0
    you mainly need busybox for functions like "cp" (copy), which can be worked around by going into recovery mode and using "mv" (move) or "cat /file > /output/file" which also copies.

4. p0rk burn

p0rk burn Member

Ratings:
    +0
    "honestly if you dont know you shouldnt be tinkering and modding, a stable reliable full function custom rom has not hit the scene yet. when the droid custom rom era is in full force like the G1 I can see wanting to. Dont rush and search is your friend. If you searched as you said busybox wiki would of been the number one on googles search page. Not trying to be rude btw either....Nandroid is your friend if you tinker"

Hear, Hear! Remember we aren't being asses so much as we are trying to protect you from yourself. Even if you get the missing steps its way too easy to jack up your phone. Most of the stuff you will end up with, if you do it right, isnt worth the risk of screwing your phone if you do it wrong. I've made more than a couple of mistakes trying to push my own learning curve that would have resulted in a bricked phone if it werent for Nandroid. Almost all of this stuff beyond the boot animation can ruin your phone if you dont know what you are doing and haven't taken the right steps.

Now, dont let that stop you if you want to keep going otherwise nobody would get to where they are today. Just be sure you understand the talk of bricking your phone isnt standard scare tactics or blanket disclaimers. It does happen and will happen to you, just hopefully it will be after you installed a custom rom with nandroid.

Also, Tdawg, go Boys!

5. sir2545

sir2545 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys, Ive been reading as much as I can about this stuff, and have no intentions of going any further until I have a full understanding of what I'm doing. I dont really care for the roms and things like that...I can wait. I just want a better understanding of what these programs do so Ill be ready when the more stable ROM's start popping up in case I do mess something up.

Also, I am reading the Wiki article and is it correct that you need Busybox because there are certain commands and executions that adb does not recognize or support?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  6. Berzerker

Berzerker Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No. You don't need busybox for anything. Again, you can workaround busybox by going into recovery mode and doing commands there.