i'm confused about recovery images and bricking. please explain

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by tktouch12, Dec 13, 2009.

1. tktouch12

tktouch12 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    sorry i'm a noob when it comes to the droid. what does a recovery image do?
    i understand it that if you delete any system file the os wont let you update or something like that?, so if you screw up, it wont let you put a new image on. is that kind of how it is?
    so this recovery image just patches your firmware, so if you delete a system file it will just let you install anything onto your device? is that right?
    what kind of thing would brick a device or cause it to need to be 'restored' anyway.
    thanks for explaining

(p.s.- i'm pretty advanced with iphones and ipod touches)

2. tktouch12

tktouch12 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i usually get answers so quick, but can anyone help me with this?

3. tktouch12

tktouch12 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    and does a recovery image permanently keep your phone safe from mess ups? or just until you update or flash a new rom?
    thanks

4. jinx10000

jinx10000 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The G1 was virtually unbrickable. There was one thing that a bunch of people did that bricked it but I think that was about it. Flashing radio and custom spl in the wrong order.

The Droid is not there yet, but I'm sure one day it will be.

My suggestion is this. Root it and leave it alone until it gets there. If you are adventurous and don't mind shelling out for the new phone is the only way I would experiment right now.

5. tdawg5480

tdawg5480 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Custom recovery is a special recovery console that has been tweaked where as the oem would let you recover with a oem update.zip
    if you mess with the os things wont match up and the flash will fail.
    With the custom recovery we get access with adb via usb and bunch of other things and will allow us to install custom roms that the oem would reject. Custom recovery is not permanent unless you do a few tweaks to disable the revert to old recovery on reboot in 2.0.1 firmware.

someone correct me if im wrong...just trying to soak up all the info I can and help out

6. tktouch12

tktouch12 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks, maybe someone who really understands this stuff (mostly the custom recovery images and bricking, etc.) could make a thread that explains it all

7. tdawg5480

tdawg5480 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    look in the hacks forum on here boostnscoobs sig has one and a few others made some just be like me n lurk n read all the threads if you got time like me

8. jinx10000

jinx10000 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Currently no custom roms have been made or tested.

There is a thread called Custom Recovery Image with a lot of good information in it as well as good instructions to install it successfully. After you get it installed (as protection only for now). Just sit back and wait for the good stuff to come.

9. tktouch12

tktouch12 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ya, i've been lurking and reading, and i understand most things (rooting, flashing, etc) but this thread: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/8526-custom-recovery-image.html confused me about stuff. and i'm coming from an itouch so i dont quite understand bricking an android device
    thanks for pointing me in the right direction

ya, that is the thread that confused me. What exactly does that do?? protect you from bricking somehow?

10. jinx10000

jinx10000 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The current customized recovery supposedly allows you to flash any update.zip file whether it is signed by Motorola or not (it has not been tested to flash custom roms). The Motorola image requires that certain files be present or it will not flash. If you removed one of these files accidentaly or on purpose and then your phone would not boot, and a few crazy things happen so that you lose root priviledges, and you could not reinstall that file then the phone would be a brick.
    The recovery image has two possible ways of saving your phone at this point. When a custom rom comes out then you could theoretically just flash it over your current bricked image or since the recovery has adb you can push that file back where it belongs and reflash the signed Motorola rom.
    By the way, if you use adb another safety step is to set it to allow root and remember. That way if you could not see the allow button on startup you can still have root access.
    Hope this answers your question.

11. tktouch12

tktouch12 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    yes that does, thank you
    so my very last confusion would be: does this create a different recovery partition so you can always install whatever you want?
    thanks again for helping me clear this up

12. jinx10000

jinx10000 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If not , then it will allow you to install a recovery that will.

13. SwordOfWar

SwordOfWar Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No one really gave me a straight answer when I asked similar questions but this is what I think...

The custom recovery image is an unrestricted recovery image. the main advantage it has over the stock recovery image is the ability to install any update.zip even if a system file or something is wrong on the phone. As long as you can boot to the recovery menu, you should be able to apply any update file you wish.

What it does not do...
    It does not prevent any update file from reinstalling a recovery image. This means if you install any official update (or an update containing the original recovery image) you will lose your custom recovery after the install finishes.

So really there is no way to make it permanent if you are doing an update, unless this recovery is built into the update you use (a custom rom).

So when you think about at, at this point it is only helpful if you plan to play around with the phone's system files. However, when a future custom rom does come out, you will need a custom recovery image to install it, because it will not be an official update.

What I was wondering when I saw the custom recovery hack come out, is if it allowed me the option of always keeping my root access, even if I applied an update that removed it, and the answer is no. If you apply an official update higher than 2.0.1 you will lose root access (and your custom recovery) and there will be no way to get root back unless a future exploit is discovered.

What you can do, is install the custom recovery and disable OTA (over the air) updates and wait for a custom rom to be released which will automatically block official updates. Hopefully the custom rom will have a built-in function (or an app) that will allow us to automatically update. Otherwise we will have to manually go to a computer and find the latest custom rom when we want to update.

Using any official update past 2.0.1 will result in a loss of root access and no way to get it back (unless a new root method is found). As of writing this, there is no update higher than 2.0.1 but there will be in the future.

14. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Sword,

I am not sure this part is correct at this point in time. See Jinx's post 10. Because we only have 2.0.1 (with Root) right now, and as 2.0.1 requires some number of system files to still be exactly as they were from the factory, the only way to use the current 2.0.1 with root is to first manually restore these from recovery mode.

So technically you are correct, we will be able to do this at some point, but right now we cannot without additional file restoration steps. At least this is my newb's understanding. And I think this is worth differentiating, as right now we are not 100% brick-proof.

I had most of your concerns and questions you posted early in the Recover thread, and slowly many are being answered. Thanks for that thoughtful query. It has helped me to understand what I have been asking. One that is still nagging is the exact semantics of using Sirpsyco's recovery and adb. Plug into usb, boot to recovery and control from the PC? Don't know, and am to askerd to try........

Craig