I'm at my limits! Time for some questions

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Jim 777, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Jim 777

Jim 777 Active Member

I usually make up my mind and jump in to something without enough research or asking any questions and many times regret it. However, I am trying to change.

First, I love the phone as it is now. Dependable, almost no FC, looks awesome, does so much, and I'm always learning more about it. However, there's that lag time that is starting to wear on me a bit. So I have been more and more reading the threads in this forum and I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger on rooting. My hesitation? Mostly that I can't afford to screw it up and since I use it for work (as well as personal) I can't really go without during a week day for something that was in my control. This combined with my lack of experience and knowledge keeps me in check.... for now.

A handful of questions have been on my mind and thought it was time to throw them out there. I apologize if these are dumb questions, my search results are very hit and miss.

1) Once I decide to go with BUgless Beast or other, is that what I read as the "ROM" or is it something else?

2) With root, am I restricted soley to a whole new set of apps to install or can I still use the ones I have now?

3) Once rooted, does the phone automatically still work as a phone? I assume so as I haven't seen any threads on it.

4) I read that there is a lot of support for Bugless, if my goal is stability, app functionality, and raising my CPU speed, would this be the best way to go?

5) I see a lot of threads by new "rooters" having issues with things not working, many times it's the phone a whole. Is this a small percentage, a 50-50 thing, or rare? I understand that it more normal for someone to post a problem looking for a solution than someone posting a "all works great" thread.

My biggest drive towards rooting is the further customization (I love looking at what some people have done with theirs) and, as I do with all my computers, get more speed (SetCPU). I was drooling over the member who posted a video of his phone at 1.2Ghz, it was about as fast as his fingers would go.

I have a few others but I think I can probably find the answers with further research.
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  2. justin82

justin82 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

read above on question here is a link to do it all what i followed
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ha...ng-only-sprecovery-terminal-emulator-zip.html

hope this helps
  3. Jim 777

Jim 777 Active Member

4. freakboy2539

freakboy2539 New Member

5. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

First off, this probably should have gone under hacking help, not hacks, since you are looking for help, not telling us all about a cool new hack.

Yes, Bugless Beast is a ROM - though ROM is a misnomer, really. In the context of Droid hacking, a "ROM" is really just new system software and a new kernel packaged up for install. And by "new", it's generally just hacked versions of the normal software - changing the appearance or "theme" of the system, adding/removing system apps, changing the kernel, etc.
    You should have no problem continuing to use the ones you still have and installing new ones from the market. Some of the 2.1 roms might give you some trouble with the market, but the 2.0.1 based roms are all just fine.
    Yeah, it still works as a phone. In this case, the lack of threads on the topic is because nobody had any trouble with it - it just works.
    I'm a fan of Bugless Beast, personally, and it does have stability, functionality, and CPU speed.
    Most of the time everything works. 100% of the time when somebody thinks that they've bricked their phone, it's because they didn't listen when people told them "Install SPRecovery before doing ANYTHING ELSE". Once you have that recovery console, you can always go back to a working backup. As of now, even if the recovery console isn't working, there are still other methods of recovering a phone. Little problems do come up, but they are usually when trying to do something that is in addition to the normal operation of the phone (ie, running applications backported from 2.1, things that the phone was never supposed to do, etc). The normal things all still work fine.

The answers to most of the questions you have so far are already on the forums somewhere, and probably a great deal of the ones you will come up with in the future. Keep poking around and read all the sticky threads, you'll learn a lot. Once you're ready to root and start customizing, go slow and make sure you understand what it is you're doing with each step, and it'll go smoothly. Have fun!
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  6. DroidxRage

DroidxRage New Member

Rootyourdroid.info - best rooting guide I've seen thus far. Thanks to BigLou from this forum!
  7. NoKz

NoKz New Member

Your phone will still function how it did stock. Just more powerful and better. Just make sure you follow all instructions EXACTLY on rooting. :icon_ banana:
  8. Jim 777

Jim 777 Active Member

Yes, pictures good!

Step one done, I have the SuperUser icon in the app drawer.

I notice that in both the links, to Matt's and to one of the sticky threads HERE, there are broken links to downloads. I don't want to proceed any further without having everything ready to go.
  9. DroidxRage

DroidxRage New Member

I have most of the root files copied locally on my PC at home, if you PM me with your email address, I can probably send you whatever you need when I get home in about an hour, hour and a half if someone can't beat me to it.

And I suggest reading, and re-reading that guide, then reading through it a 3rd time while your doing it. ;)
  10. Jim 777

Jim 777 Active Member

Thanks, found the files posted at the end of the thread.

Yes! Read it twice then another thread, then back and read as doing it. Running Bugless now! Man I was nervous while typing in the terminal emulator.

Now, SetCPU is not downloading. Hoping it's just the market hanging up on something.
  11. justin82

justin82 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

remeber make a nandroid back up once oyu get your home screens they way you want them ... important step
  12. DroidxRage

DroidxRage New Member

glad to hear you got it running... what version of Bugless Beast are you running? I'm still on 7.2 actually.

per SetCPU, see if setcpu is already installed, some ROMs include the free version already ;)

I'm about to go tinker with some other hacks on top of my bugless beast, gonna load a new 1GHz kernel with temp monitoring support, and dark theme with home++ theme :D
  13. Jim 777

Jim 777 Active Member

Good idea. Did it already when the instructions indicated, but doing it again isn't a bad idea!

in the settings under About Phone, is says 0.7.5

Is that what you mean?