I'm At A Crossroad Here....

Murker

Reaction score
I'm a cell phone cave man. I've had the LG Voyager for 2 years and I've been eligible for my upgrade since January. Back in late Feb, early March, I was bound and determined to pick up a Tbolt when it got released. We all know how much of a fiasco that turned out to be.

Anyway, due to financial restrictions, I held off. I was planning to pick the Tbolt up and go with the 1 year contract so I could upgrade every year if I was so inclined. Now, that's in the crapper too with the elimination of Verizon's 1 year contracts.

So here I am with my Voyager that has a battery that has limited life left in it and I would LOVE to upgrade to a Droid phone. Apple can kiss my @$$.

So it's either Tbolt or a DroidX.

Tbolt seems to be hit or miss from what I read. There seems to be 1 group that absolutely love it and have no issues with it, and another group that can't stand it and have taken it back.

I have a few co workers that have the Droid X and love it. I haven't heard too much bad yap about it.

I see it this way, the Tbolt is the latest, greatest thing and is still working the kinks out.
The DroidX has been out a while, is established and has a solid foundation of support for it.

So I am at an em pass here:

So do I go with the latest technology since I can't upgrade for another 2 years?

Is there going to be a replacement for the DroidX coming reasonably soon that I would be better off waiting for? (The Samsung Charge sounds like something I will not be interested in).

Would it be stupid of me to pick up a Droid X at this point as in, is support and the technology going to be so far outdated, I will regret the purchase?

Sigh, I'm so confused!!!!!:eek:hmy:

NurseER

Reaction score
Which phone ?

I had the LG Voyager for 3 years and loved it. I waited for the DroidX to come out before upgrading. I got the DroidX the day it released last year, and LOVE it! It's AWESOME. Battery life is decent. I was in Verizon 2 days ago w/ my daughter who is up for an upgrade and asked about the new releases that come out tomorrow and Friday. So, there are 2 phones coming out this week. I would not recommend the TB, due to the Verizon Sales person stated that the battery life on it was worse than the Incredible. She said it was poor battery. She also told me that the Droid X has been there most "stable" selling phone that people have been happy with. It was also reported that people traded in there iphones for the DroidX. It's a great phone!
Anyway, that's what I have and highly recommend. I don't recommend the TB b/c of what Verizon rep told me. I think the Droid3 is being released this week and possibly the Incredible 2...but not real sure on that.

Hope that helps
ER

I'm a cell phone cave man. I've had the LG Voyager for 2 years and I've been eligible for my upgrade since January. Back in late Feb, early March, I was bound and determined to pick up a Tbolt when it got released. We all know how much of a fiasco that turned out to be.

Anyway, due to financial restrictions, I held off. I was planning to pick the Tbolt up and go with the 1 year contract so I could upgrade every year if I was so inclined. Now, that's in the crapper too with the elimination of Verizon's 1 year contracts.

So here I am with my Voyager that has a battery that has limited life left in it and I would LOVE to upgrade to a Droid phone. Apple can kiss my @$$.

So it's either Tbolt or a DroidX.

Tbolt seems to be hit or miss from what I read. There seems to be 1 group that absolutely love it and have no issues with it, and another group that can't stand it and have taken it back.

I have a few co workers that have the Droid X and love it. I haven't heard too much bad yap about it.

I see it this way, the Tbolt is the latest, greatest thing and is still working the kinks out.
The DroidX has been out a while, is established and has a solid foundation of support for it.

So I am at an em pass here:

So do I go with the latest technology since I can't upgrade for another 2 years?

Is there going to be a replacement for the DroidX coming reasonably soon that I would be better off waiting for? (The Samsung Charge sounds like something I will not be interested in).

Would it be stupid of me to pick up a Droid X at this point as in, is support and the technology going to be so far outdated, I will regret the purchase?

Sigh, I'm so confused!!!!!:eek:hmy:

donballz

Reaction score
If you live and rarely leave an area with awesome LTE coverage, you will love the Thunderbolt. If you live in Podunk, TN you will hate it; as it will constantly search for 4G and drain your battery.

X is still a great phone, but with D3 and DX2 right around the corner, I would wait.

andylulzyou

Reaction score
Honestly don't buy a Droid X it's outdated technology that is reaching it's end of life and the locked bootloader isn't helping anything..

Personally I'd love to have the Thunderbolt but if that isn't the phone for you then just get the next best thing after that..

Don't lock yourself in for two years with the DX

Dr.Dad

Reaction score
If you really wanted something new now, you could buy a used droid x....cheap, maybe with a scratch our something. Then wait until the x2 or bionic-targa and use your upgrade. The support for the x is great, and there are always new things coming out, st lest in the near future. If nothing else came out fire my x, I would still be a happy camper until my upgrade in a year....

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Reaction score
The droid 3 is definitely not coming out this week. The droid 3 is supposed to have a late summer release. As for the OP, id hold off a little longer for the next dual core phone

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
+1 on the used DX. That way if there are delays on the latest/greatest phones, you still have a pretty fast phone to play with.

OP
Murker

Murker

Reaction score
A co worker has a Droid 1 that he will sell to me for $50 with accessories. Would this be feasible for me for a while until I use my upgrade or is that phone just too old now?

devator22

Reaction score
The D1 is great, as long as you plan to root it. It can't compare to the new dual core phones, but with an overclocked custom kernel and compcache, it can still put out pretty decent performance, at least as good as stock DroidX, which is what you would be getting with a locked bootloader. For $50 I say it is worth it. I love my D1 and don't regret purchasing it, and I am not jealous of my friends with their new phones with locked bootloaders.

davros

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
A co worker has a Droid 1 that he will sell to me for $50 with accessories. Would this be feasible for me for a while until I use my upgrade or is that phone just too old now?

I'll take it if you don't

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Take the D1 if you do plan to root and overclock. If not, a used stock DX will seem like a racecar!

king_43

Reaction score
Plus it will get you into learning the andriod OS and when the phone you cannot live without comes out then you can use your upgrade wisely! I own a TB in a non 3g area, w/ the LTEoff app, that seems to help the battery greatly pared with juice defender, other than that I do have a backup battery but it lasts me all day unless I use it excessively browsing etc. My ex had the DX, It was a great phone it seemed to have a much better battery life than mine (i'd find myself low on battery and reaching for hers to finish reading what I was reading online). The GPS seemed to work better on the DX but the update they are apparently releasing on the TB should fix the gps issue (it works great, just takes awhile to lock on to the satellites)

OP
Murker

Murker

Reaction score
Awesome. Thanks everyone. I'm going to grab the Droid 1.

I thought the same thing King_43. It would be a good way to get used to the Android OS. Since I'm upgrading from a Voyager, no matter if it's not lightning fast, it's still a big jump for me.

Hopefully I can get it activated without any hassle, right from the VW website.

I'm excited lol.

JoeyJ

Reaction score
I am kind of in this same situation. I am over due for an upgrade but unsure what I want. So I was just at the verizon store playing with the new phones out today and I still like the droid x but also like the thunderbolt and the new incredible2. But after reading this forum for the past couple days it seems like it might be better to wait until summer to upgrade.

So I think I might try to find a cheap droid x online but here is where i am unsure if I can do this. Currently on a family plan with my mom that is not a smartphone plan. Want to switch off of hers and get added to my girlfriends plan. Now if I were to switch like this and activate a droid would that use my upgrade or would it just be like using a different phone and everything would be fine I just got a new plan?

My current phone still says Alltel on it so please help