I'm At A Crossroad Here....

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid X' started by Murker, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Murker

Murker Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a cell phone cave man. I've had the LG Voyager for 2 years and I've been eligible for my upgrade since January. Back in late Feb, early March, I was bound and determined to pick up a Tbolt when it got released. We all know how much of a fiasco that turned out to be.

Anyway, due to financial restrictions, I held off. I was planning to pick the Tbolt up and go with the 1 year contract so I could upgrade every year if I was so inclined. Now, that's in the crapper too with the elimination of Verizon's 1 year contracts.

So here I am with my Voyager that has a battery that has limited life left in it and I would LOVE to upgrade to a Droid phone. Apple can kiss my @$$.

So it's either Tbolt or a DroidX.

Tbolt seems to be hit or miss from what I read. There seems to be 1 group that absolutely love it and have no issues with it, and another group that can't stand it and have taken it back.

I have a few co workers that have the Droid X and love it. I haven't heard too much bad yap about it.

I see it this way, the Tbolt is the latest, greatest thing and is still working the kinks out.
    The DroidX has been out a while, is established and has a solid foundation of support for it.

So I am at an em pass here:

So do I go with the latest technology since I can't upgrade for another 2 years?

Is there going to be a replacement for the DroidX coming reasonably soon that I would be better off waiting for? (The Samsung Charge sounds like something I will not be interested in).

Would it be stupid of me to pick up a Droid X at this point as in, is support and the technology going to be so far outdated, I will regret the purchase?

Sigh, I'm so confused!!!!!:eek:hmy:

2. NurseER

NurseER New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Which phone ?

I had the LG Voyager for 3 years and loved it. I waited for the DroidX to come out before upgrading. I got the DroidX the day it released last year, and LOVE it! It's AWESOME. Battery life is decent. I was in Verizon 2 days ago w/ my daughter who is up for an upgrade and asked about the new releases that come out tomorrow and Friday. So, there are 2 phones coming out this week. I would not recommend the TB, due to the Verizon Sales person stated that the battery life on it was worse than the Incredible. She said it was poor battery. She also told me that the Droid X has been there most "stable" selling phone that people have been happy with. It was also reported that people traded in there iphones for the DroidX. It's a great phone!
    Anyway, that's what I have and highly recommend. I don't recommend the TB b/c of what Verizon rep told me. I think the Droid3 is being released this week and possibly the Incredible 2...but not real sure on that.

Hope that helps
    ER

3. donballz

donballz Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If you live and rarely leave an area with awesome LTE coverage, you will love the Thunderbolt. If you live in Podunk, TN you will hate it; as it will constantly search for 4G and drain your battery.

X is still a great phone, but with D3 and DX2 right around the corner, I would wait.

4. andylulzyou

andylulzyou Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Honestly don't buy a Droid X it's outdated technology that is reaching it's end of life and the locked bootloader isn't helping anything..

Personally I'd love to have the Thunderbolt but if that isn't the phone for you then just get the next best thing after that..

Don't lock yourself in for two years with the DX

5. Dr.Dad

Dr.Dad Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If you really wanted something new now, you could buy a used droid x....cheap, maybe with a scratch our something. Then wait until the x2 or bionic-targa and use your upgrade. The support for the x is great, and there are always new things coming out, st lest in the near future. If nothing else came out fire my x, I would still be a happy camper until my upgrade in a year....

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

6. Domestic violence

Domestic violence Active Member

Ratings:
    +59
    i played with a Tb the other night in a VZW store. god damn i did NOT like it.

7. random190user44

Ratings:
    +0
    The droid 3 is definitely not coming out this week. The droid 3 is supposed to have a late summer release. As for the OP, id hold off a little longer for the next dual core phone

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

8. tgyberg

tgyberg Silver Member

Ratings:
    +324
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL & C
    +1 on the used DX. That way if there are delays on the latest/greatest phones, you still have a pretty fast phone to play with.

9. Murker

Murker Member

Ratings:
    +0
    A co worker has a Droid 1 that he will sell to me for $50 with accessories. Would this be feasible for me for a while until I use my upgrade or is that phone just too old now?

10. devator22

devator22 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The D1 is great, as long as you plan to root it. It can't compare to the new dual core phones, but with an overclocked custom kernel and compcache, it can still put out pretty decent performance, at least as good as stock DroidX, which is what you would be getting with a locked bootloader. For $50 I say it is worth it. I love my D1 and don't regret purchasing it, and I am not jealous of my friends with their new phones with locked bootloaders.

11. davros

davros Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +32
    I'll take it if you don't

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

12. tgyberg

tgyberg Silver Member

Ratings:
    +324
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL & C
    Take the D1 if you do plan to root and overclock. If not, a used stock DX will seem like a racecar!