I'm asking here because I know you guys are GREAT, and this is where it started.

Discussion in 'ShadowROM' started by NewDroidOrder, Nov 25, 2010.

1. NewDroidOrder

NewDroidOrder Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Heres the problem:

D1 rooted, of course. Now on to the part that has me completely baffled.

Close to 2 months ago my phone began not holding a charge for more than about 10 hours at best, so consistently I would lose about 10% an hour. And this is weird because at the time this drastic change seemingly happened over night I had been using the same ROM (ShadowROM) and kernel (slayher) with no changes what so ever to change my battery life from lasting about 24+ hours (relevant image) 1 day 14 hours to an excruciating 7-10 hours, and this is with somewhat light use.

I have tried just about everything you could think of to fix this problem ie: wiping battery stats, clean wipe of data/cache and reflashing the ROM of choice, as well as several other ROMs and kernels. NONE of which have showed much of any improvement at all.

I even bought the Droid 2 Extended battery for 50 bucks because I thought that maybe it was just my battery being old... but even with the extended battery holding an 1880 mAh charge, it still lasts a fraction of the time that my old stock battery used to.

So what I'm wondering is if this is possibly a hardware problem as far as the phone is. The battery itself has been ruled out I do believe because I have both extended and stock, and there really isnt much of a difference.

I know that you guys here at ShadowROM do excellent work and will most likely at least throw what you believe is the problem my way. Had some good times in the IRC so I'm hoping ya'll remember me.

Thanks in advance!

#1 NewDroidOrder, Nov 25, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  2. Smokie

Smokie Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i've noticed similar problems like this with my phone.. not sure what causes it, also i don't think it's rom specific i change all the time and I've had it happen on LFY, shadow, and UD 2.0. the wiping battery stats never fixed it for me.. I let the phone die on its own and shut off.. then plugged it into the wall outlet and let it fully charge. sometimes you have to do that more then once. wiping the battery cache never seemed to change anything for me.

if you aren't using setCPU you should be. setup "power saver" profiles. that made a tremendous difference for me as well. and doesn't affect quadrant scores much at all.

oh, i also noticed if you go into manage apps and check under the whats running tab.. dumb **** like Ebay and Xiia Radio were running the background and I don't think I ever even ran either of them before. uninstalled stuff like that for good measure. hope some of this helps. 100 people looked and haven't responded so good luck. :D

3. Loki

Loki New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have experienced this same battery trouble useing CM-6 and Liquid. It only happens after running the rom for several months. It's not corrected by any means that I'm aware of ofther then flashing a new rom ( Total Data and cashe wipe ). I would also like to point out that when I was running CM-6 shortly after the battery trouble started the rom because very unstable and would crash alot for no real reason.

Some of the bigger apps I run that may be contributing to the battery thing. Launcher Pro Plus, Widget Locker, beautiful widgets, set cpu .

Also The trouble happened with chevy#1 1250 lv , p3 1000 lv, and slayher 1000 kernels so..... ..... ..... ..... ...

(Edit)
    I was told to give minfreemanager a try, Just installed it now. I don't like or use task killers but min free manager is not really a task killer or so I'm told. Not sure about the battery thing yet but so far it seems to have stoped my launcher pro plus redraws .

รถ

#3 Loki, Nov 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2010
  4. NewDroidOrder

NewDroidOrder Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well Smokie you know what the funny thing is? I believe all of this happened after I decided to see how long my battery would last. As shown above in the link I posted there is a screencap of my batter at 15% after something like 1d 14h or something like that. And I'm fairly certain that it has never been the same ever since. And because of this tremendous change in battery I do believe that my phone has ran out of batter and I have done as you stated: plug into the wall charger and charge it t 100%.

And Loki as far as using minfree or autokillet(the name doesn't mean its a task killer like ATK, its exactly like minfree) I have stopped using those because that was the REASON for my redraw issues with LP. I have done a ton of testing and research as I'm sure you have too, but ultimately I feel that apps like autokiller and minfree are not necessary because I have been monitoring my RAM usage for a long time now. On older builds of froyo I would say that memory management apps were a necessary thing because the system was not set to deal with memory very well at all, and I would find myself sitting there with only 18mb of RAM free and my phone was completely crippled because of it. But this is not the case with the new builds. For the most part there is always at least 30-54mb of RAM free when idle, or even browsing the net (sites that are not very demanding) or even listening to pandora radio.

So pretty much as far as my settings go on SetCPU and all of that they have never changed, and I have also gone through and uninstalled many apps that I suspected to be battery suckers... but with no avail. I am going to try to kill my batter right now and see if a full charge will cure it. if not.... well then I will be doing it again.

I would really like to see if any devs would like to jump in on this and throw their two cents in on this situation.

I'll be posting back what my results are.

5. bigee1212

bigee1212 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    try not using setcpu and use the built in cpu settings in shadowrom settings. this has helped my battery life

6. techguru

techguru Member

Ratings:
    +0
    How long have you had your D1? Lithium Ion batteries do lose their ability to hold a charge after about a year of use. Have you tried an alternate battery? PM me if you want my spare D1 battery (although I am honestly not sure if it is the one that came with the phone which I got the week before it was released, or if it the spare I bought about three months later). I already gave the phone to a friend (using an Incredible now, and wishing I could get 10 hours out of a single battery....).

Alan

7. billygalbreath

Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    How is ya'll signal strengths?

Low signal strength causes the radio to search harder for the network, thus using more battery.

With LTE right around the corner, I would not be surprised if VZW is having a few towers down at a time in some areas, causing weak signals and battery drains.

;)

8. NewDroidOrder

NewDroidOrder Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the responses guys.

techguru:

I bought a replacement D2 extended battery because I thought that my battery that came with the phone was just on its last leg and was dieing. However that is not the case.

and billy, for the most part I have pretty damn good reception, nothing has changed in the ways that I use my phone or signal. Well, things had not changed.

In short, when I it happened it was after I was bragging about how long my battery lasts and it came from that day that I have the screenshot posted above; after that screenshot my phone was never the same again after I let it fully charge again.

But now I have tried a few things to try to get rid of this problem. For the most part they have worked. I have let the battery fully discharge and shut the phone down about 3 times now. After the first 2 I could tell it was getting better. I have since tried a different ROM and I have currently using UD 2.1.0 because I was willing to do anything to try to squeeze a little life out of this brand new extended battery that I had just bought. And for the most part it is indeed better than it was (10 hours of life) but its still no where near what I used to get where I could be discharging for over 24 hours and still not have to worry about my phone dieing.

As of right now, I guess I could live with the battery life... but its so up and down I really cant guess how long it will last. Sometimes it lasts a lot longer than others and with no difference in use, or location. It sucks that wiping battery data in clockwork really doesnt do anything lol.

So what do ya'll think now eh am I just screwed and need a new D1/new device in general?

9. NewDroidOrder

NewDroidOrder Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'll throw another reply in here just so it hopefully sees the light of day and possibly a fix for this issue.

I heard from someone that deleting /data/system/ batterystats.bin would clear up this issue I was having... and well as you all can see that was not the case because I am still here and wondering if there is anything I can do or if it is most likely a hardware problem. I feel as though I should reiterate that I have a brand NEW extended 1820mAh battery, and I still cant get much life out of the damn thing I spent $50 on.

10. MS2SF

MS2SF Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am having a similar problem. Just bought the extended battery I hope that works. Howerver, it arrived without an extended battery cover and Motorola says they are out. Does anyone one know where I can find a battery cover of BP7X Dorid 2 extended battery?

Is it safe and can I use the extended battery without a cover?

11. NewDroidOrder

NewDroidOrder Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't use it without the door lol that is just crazy! So how did it work out for you? The extended battery that is.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

12. MS2SF

MS2SF Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The Extended Battery is working great. I can go a whole day without charging. Just like I had hoped. I did live dangerously for several days but now I found an extended battery cover on Ebay and I feel much better.

Search tags for this page
blackmart alpha always crash
blackmart alpha is it safe
blackmart alpha safe
blackmart alpha safe?
blackmart alpha safety
how safe is blackmart alpha

is blackmart alpha safe

is blackmart alpha safe?
is blackmart safe
is it safe to use blackmart alpha