I'm a new guy

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid' started by Diordna, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Diordna

Diordna New Member

Ok so yeah my first post/ thread.

I have been reading this sites forums about the Droid for hours and I read a lot from addicting apps to problems people face with the phone to everything else this phone provides.
    I personally do not have the phone yet but I will be getting it and I've watched a lot of reviews on youtube and read a lot around the web too to tell me I'm making one of the best choices ever.
    Btw I have some crapy flip phone from MetroPCS right now so it's going to be a lot better I know.

But for this specific thread, just wondering all in all about this device. Maybe I've read to much negative thing on this site like the problems people have with it but seems like most problems got fixed so I'm glad I found this site.
    I can't wait to get it and also wondering if getting it you guys use it a LOT. Not just the first week but still use it a lot for games and even nice apps like My Coupons to save money in stores and browsing ect.

One more thing so far. I really don't feel like having trouble with buying it and I want it the cheapest I can get. I heard that the wirefly sell on this device is one if not the best. Anyone else buy it from here or at least know if it's a good idea because thats what I've been thinking of doing.

Here:

Special Offer

Anyways, really hope to get a nice un-hassling healthy Droid soon and be in the hopeful awesome experiences everyone else is having.

-Cody
  2. Benjamin Crist

Benjamin Crist New Member

I've not dealt with Wirefly, so I can't tell you about that.

I can tell you that I've found only a few minor things with the Droid that are annoying, but nothing major. I would have to say the two things that are the worst about the Droid/Android platform:

1) The lack of games that take advantage of what the Droid can do. The hardware is impressive, the processor and screen are great, but there aren't any jaw-dropping games.... yet. I suspect some will be out in the next year or two since android 2.0 and droid are so new. There are lots of fun games, just not a lot of games with amazing graphics.

2) The hours of time I have lost of my life..... spend playing with this phone and learning about it. It is not only a great tool, but a fun toy!
  3. Diordna

Diordna New Member

Oh finally some reply! Thanks!
    I understand about the graphics, it is quite a hardware on this device.
    And as for the hours you lost, I'm excited to do that to haha

It seems like it's going to be hard to get use to everything but I think I'll manage.

I have to make a gmail account or something right?
    I don't understand the synching thing to well. I know it saves your contacts and what not and if you lose them you can synch them back in.
    Thanks
  4. get quad

get quad New Member

Only going to get greater over the following months :greendroid:
  5. BlueBus

BlueBus New Member

That is the great thing about the synching, you don't have to understand it. It just happens.
  6. vzwdroidtech

vzwdroidtech New Member

The only negative about not buying from a corporate store is the inability to get a new replacement on the spot if something is wrong in the first 30 days. Other than that, have a ball...
  7. Sam

Sam Premium Member Premium Member

the tech is right.. if you have issues, you will likely find it hard to get help or a replacement. BUT, you might not need it, most of us didn't ;)

welcome to the machine!
  8. crspang

crspang New Member

Check out the VZW website to see what they would be willing to sell it for, I got mine for $149 from there with instant rebates and discounts.
    Also keep in mind that people that have problems with their phones tend to post about it, those are not the majority! If everyone was having trouble/issues with the DROID it would not be approaching 1million units sold.
  9. Corinacakes

Corinacakes DF Super Moderator Theme Developer

I've had mine since day 1 and i'm still spending hours with it everyday.

unlike benjamin crist said the games with great graphics ARE starting to trickle in. i have 4 or 5 with GREAT AMAZING graphics.
  10. Magdroid

Magdroid New Member

Any issue I've had with the Droid has been resolved. Hardware issues are easily taken care of by Verizon. They replace the phone, and it has solved any hardware issue I've had. (only 1..random reboots). Software issues get fixed in Over The Air updates. They have had 1 so far, and it has been very successful. Another is scheduled in january. The thing you will love about this phone is it will be updated continuously and fixed. No issues. And games ARE now coming out that take advantage of the processor. Toon Wars for example.
  11. Diordna

Diordna New Member

Ok sweet deal guys lol
    Got pretty positive responses.

There is a youtube video called like Droid Issues or something and the guy loves the phone and stuff but he sent it back cause it is bad at being a phone. Like I guess it's hard to end calls he said??
    And like there isn't no green or red visible call buttons and such. I personally don't talk on phone a lot so idc about this anyways lol
    Im a texter, and I heard great things from Swype
  12. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

The Droid is a great phone. I really have not experienced any problems in hearing people or having people hear me. As far as an on off button, it's on the screen, the moment you pull the phone away from your face the screen lights up and then you have your hang up button. There is a call button you push for making calls. Further, when someone hangs up the call ends automatically so I don't know what that guy is talking about.
  13. Diordna

Diordna New Member

lol gotcha. Either do I then @.@
    Thanks!

I just really want the freaking phone lol
  14. sal33n

sal33n New Member

If you love to tinker with stuff than this phone is for you. Yes it has it's issues. I personally cannot stand the keyboard. I never use it cuz I have to try to use my fingernails since the keys are so small and I have average sized hands. But all in all I enjoy this phone. It is so much more than a phone. there is plenty you can personalize. And also there are quite a few apps that u can find that are just amazing. Shazam, Shopsavvy, Sportstap, and not to mention the built in GPS with google maps which is fricken awesome.
  15. Diordna

Diordna New Member

Thank you, do you mind explaining what Shazam and stopsavvy does?
    Also I heard the My Coupon app is pretty helpful
  16. sal33n

sal33n New Member

Shopsavvy scans barcodes with the camera then looks online and finds prices for the same item from someone else either online or locally. Most of the time there are not too many local hits but it's still cool. Doesn't work too well on food items but anything else it's pretty good. I was at Meijer the other day just going around scanning different things... Toys, Tv's, DVD players, etc. They are selling a Sony LCD for like 499. I scanned it and found it online for 399. Oh.. also I had just boughten the new Super Mario for Wii for 49.99 their too. Not thinking about it at the time of purchase I forgot to scan it. After I bought it I scanned it and Best Buy had it for 10 dollars cheaper. I tried to pricematch at the service desk but those duma$$es wouldn't do it even though i showed them on the screen. Had to be a printed ad! WTF! this is the internet age!! I was pretty pissed.

Shazam is a program that will recognize music you are playing like in your car and tell you the name and artist and ablum it is then give you links to it on youtube and amazon. I have had 100% success in it recognizing what was playing on the radio and from some mp3s playing from the speakers on my PSP. It's a really fun piece of software.
  17. Benjamin Crist

Feel free to call me Benjamin, less typing :)

What games are good? Maybe I just missed them? I've made a google document of all a bunch of applications I want to play with, but my girlfriend doesn't want me to ignore her for my new phone, so I've not had as much time as I wished to play with the new phone!
  18. Benjamin Crist

I think I might have seen the same youtube video you refer to. If it's the same one, he said in it that he thought they unit he had was bad, but the overall phone was good and that he was taking the phone back to get a new phone because he did like it.

I believe Verizon has sold about a million units if the numbers being quoted are correct... they will likely have a few units that are faulty, as with any product.

Also, remember you are on the internet. I challenge you to find ANYTHING that people won't complain about. I personally searched for anything bad I could find about about the droid a week or two after it was out and I couldn't find hardly any complaints for such a hyped product. Of course there were people complaining about the keyboard and some minor issues that are usually personal preference. If you have a Verizon store nearby, go play with a demo unit. That's what I did and I was very happy with my experience, so I did more research on this forum and other places and found the phone was great, so I bought one and have been very happy with it.
  19. Corinacakes

Corinacakes DF Super Moderator Theme Developer

Inferno and mystique are a couple ones with great graphics (i'd list more that i've seen with great graphics but i recently had to do a hard reset and haven't reloaded them so i dont remember the names lol). for simple fun i like zilch and uno :)
  20. 82bohica

82bohica New Member

To backtrack.... In my opinion, you should not buy from one of these online sites that offer the phone for like $120. Reasons being of course the exchange if you do have an issue... but also that you can goto verizon for general help and the several sites that do sell a cheap Droid just sells it, nothing else. Bear in mind this phone is so customizable that even the VZW reps may not be able to help fix your problem, but they will of course know how to reset or if need be they can exchange your phone. Also, most of these 3rd party sellers can sell the phone for so cheap because they are setting you up with a new service plan and will charge your exorbitant fees for changes and cancellations on top of what VZW charges. I got a Best Buy giftcard for my birthday before christmas and considered using it towards my Droid, but VZW said if I had any issues I HAD to goto them. Don't get me wrong, Best Buy has been GREAT to me, but if I'm dealing in phones, I want to go to the people who eat, sleep, and breathe phones and not the jack of all electronics. Just my opinion, I'd rather spend a little more getting the background perks than save a buck upfront... doesn't do you any good if you have any issues.