Ileagal to Tether

jgumphress

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has actually bean caught by Verizon for tethering using a private app like PDAnet or something similar. If so what did Verizon do.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
ive not seen anyone get caught for normal usage (no xbox/ps3 tethering) but u dont wanna be the first.

i suppose they could cancel your account...

OP
jgumphress

jgumphress

Reaction score
That is kind of what I thought. I've read many times in this forum of individuals using a tether app all the time. I use the VZW Broad Band Wireless right now and I'm not to happy with the speed. But with tether it is several time faster, go figure. So I was considering not updating my broad band device when it ends and using tether. Maybe even signing up with VZW's tether service.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
im pretty sure VZWs tether service is still limited.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
im pretty sure VZWs tether service is still limited.

if you pay for tethering it follows the same rules as the wireless broadband card. 5gb max bandwidth per billing cycle.

thought so. just wasnt positive.

unfortunately i'm well aware of the 5gb max as i go over that every month with my work provided broadband card... Usually have to find a hotspot or use wifi tethering.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
but to answer the OP's question...

its not illegal to tether but it is against the Terms Of Service agreement that you signed. If caught you can either be charged per megabyte for the data you used and/or have your contract cancelled which you would still be responsible for a $350.00 early termination fee per line.

The per megabyte charge is $1.99 per megabyte, and per gig its $2,037.76

To my knowledge nobody has been caught using wifi tether but thats not saying there not going to start looking into it.

RemyL75

Reaction score
I've been using USB tethering built-into Froyo, and so far no problems (I should mention that I am rooted and running Project Elite v2 rom). Had a power outage a few months ago, and needed to use it for 2-3 days. No problems or extra charges.

SupAll

Reaction score
I can't remember where I read this, but the way I understand it is that so long as you aren't doing anything excessive (ie, reaching 5 GBs in two weeks), you'll be fine as VZW turns a blind eye to things. So, no downloading Iron Man 2 in 720p.

Paul1201

Reaction score
After Googling "theft of service" this is what I found:

Theft of service is defined by state laws, which vary by state, but typically define the crime as knowingly securing the performance of a service by deception or threat, diverting another's services to the actor's own benefit, or holding personal property beyond the expiration of rental period without consent of the owner. Intent to avoid payment may be presumed under certain circumstances, such as failure to pay for an applicable rental charge within 10 days after receiving written notice demanding payment.

That is as far as I read but here is the link:

Theft of Services Law & Legal Definition

I personally doubt that Verizon would file criminal charges but civil charges for reimbursement is highly likely when Verizon finally decides to enforce this.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
To my knowledge nobody has been caught using wifi tether but thats not saying there not going to start looking into it.

And good luck winning the class-action suit that would result since VZW already claimed the Droid is incapable of wifi tethering.

I don't expect them to do anything since tiered plans appear to be inevitable. Why care how people use their 5 gigs as long as they are paying for it? Plus, people who tether will make a decent % of users who would sign up for the highest priced tiers, so it wouldn't make a lot of sense to alienate them.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I can't remember where I read this, but the way I understand it is that so long as you aren't doing anything excessive (ie, reaching 5 GBs in two weeks), you'll be fine as VZW turns a blind eye to things. So, no downloading Iron Man 2 in 720p.

but its suchh a good movie :icon_ banana:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see what VZW does.

LTE is going to be a tiered service. The new phones are going to have wifi tethering. This truly makes the wireless data cards obsolete, especially if you can still make and receive calls when tethering.

I should think VZW can increase revenues by having a universal plan that doesn't differentiate between tethering and the like = no need to carry a separate wireless card. More importantly, this might gain some customers to the full cell/data plan.

I've been trying to guess at what VZW might offer. Currently $30 for Droid unlimited data. You can get 2gigs of tethering for $20 or 5gigs for $30 (with qualitfying voice plans - 5gigs without Droid data is $60).

So, currently, unlimited Droid data plus 5gigs of tethering is $60. So the incentive is already there as getting the voice plan gives you 5gigs of tether plus Droid unlimited for $60 data plan (plus voice).

So looks to me there is a 5gig plan implied here for between $50-$60. From my perspective, I think LTE is fast enough to drop home broadband which makes my indifference price somewhere between $60-$80.

Would not surprise me to see unlimited data (incl. unlimited tether) for $80. A 5gig plan could be $60 with tether and $45 without. I suspect $30 is going to get you something like 2gigs without tether. That last one is a kick to the groin - easy to use more and more data if you listen to Pandora daily at the gym/running and maybe stream some video on the stairmaster or whatever. But you weren't doing that 2 years ago (nor do you need Pandora, can listen to good 'ol mp3's) and it's a convenience service you should expect to pay for. 2 gigs is more than enough for normal usage with some light pandora/streaming.

I hope they improve on those prices. Really, it makes no sense to differentiate tether prices on the Droid. They're targeting deep-pocketed businesses with that because they compete with hotels and airports that charge usually $10-$15 PER DAY. But economically it could be a big carrot if businesses can see the savings from going full data/voice plans with a Droid and get that tethering for "free".