1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

IInstalled 2.1 rom, then back to stock, then to real update, problems

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Sam Fisher, May 7, 2010.

1. Sam Fisher

Sam Fisher New Member

I have a moto droid and i thought i had everything figured out, i installed droid root helper, with the custom boot menu and went back to stock so that i could have the actual OTA update. i recieved the update with minamal issues, and a couple days ago i recieved a notification telling me that a new update was ready to be installed, and the problems arose. i downloaded and installed the new update, but when it went to reboot, its stuck now. it does the droid animation, followed by the normal droid eye, then just keeps looping the animation, but never boot the phone. i did a battery pull, (or seven xD) and try to get back to the boot menu, and i get a picture of an exclamation point inside of a triangle, next to a phone. WTF!?! ive looked everywhere and cant find any1 that has had the same problems under the same circumstance... HELP!
  2. beneharris

beneharris New Member

so are you rooted? that seemed a little bit unclear.

the exclamation point wiht the triangle is your recovery mode, thats a good thing.

and your not bricked, don't worry. your just gonna need to flash the phone back, and im sure someone will be along shortly to tell you how to do that. in the meantime, search around, this isn't an uncommon thing
  3. jntdroid

jntdroid DF Super Moderator Premium Member

4. Tallica

Tallica Premium Member Premium Member

5. Sam Fisher

Sam Fisher New Member

i cant figure out why my device wont show up. i plugger it in and it says battery ok ready to program, transfer modeusb but rsd lite cant see it, im unsure what im supposed to do
  6. jntdroid

a couple of things to make sure of
    - if you're running windows vista or windows 7, make sure you right-click on rsdlite and run it as administrator
    - did you install the correct usb drivers (i.e. 32 bit vs 64 bit) per the instructions?
  7. christim

christim DF Super Moderator

You can not install the wrong drivers, a pop-up tells you to use the other ones, but it won't tell you if you installed no drivers. You definitely need the drivers.

The link (mentioned above and 3rd in my signature) has a suggestion if your phone is not showing up, use the config menu.

If you have another computer to try RSD Lite on you might want to give that a try too.

There also is a chance the rebooting you are seeing is due to a low battery. Sometimes the phone just thinks the battery is low, and others times it really is run down. Leave the phone plugged into a wall outlet for an hour or two and see if the phone stops doing a partial reboot and fully loads the OS.
  8. Sam Fisher

Sam Fisher New Member

hey guys thank you so much for the support, however, the battery is not low and i have both drivers installed but rsd lite ( no matter what i do in config) does not seem to see my droid... my other comp has same problem. there must be something simple i am over looking...
  9. Sam Fisher

Sam Fisher New Member

mabye im not properly running rsd as admin? im trying here but i cant figure this out... is this the only means of getting my phone back?
  10. jntdroid

what OS are you running?
  11. Sam Fisher

Sam Fisher New Member

im running vista
  12. jntdroid

when you open rsdlite, hold down shift and right click it, then choose "run as administrator"... you should get the annoying vista warning and just yes it and you'll know you're running it as administrator
  13. Sam Fisher

Sam Fisher New Member

ok progress made... model: SE Flash... port no.1 port type USB... Status connected but still cant "start"
  14. jntdroid

Hmm... ok -please know I'm in no way trying to question your intelligence with any of these questions, just trying to cover all the bases!

Now that you have rsdlite seeing your phone:
    1. The .sbf file that you select through the "...", is it on your desktop or in another directory? For whatever reason, I've read it can't be on your desktop
    2. You've ensured you have the right usb drivers installed - i.e. you're running vista 32 bit and you installed the 32 bit drivers
    3. You're using the usb cable that came with the Droid
    4. The battery thing christim mentioned

I've read about that before, and for the life of me can't remember what solution was used to get it to where you could start it... especially if you've been through all of the above already...

Still thinking.
  15. jntdroid

any luck? about to cut out for the night
  16. Sam Fisher

Sam Fisher New Member

ok so i finally got a message saying that the device drivers were properly installed, and shortly there after i moved the file in "..." to my documents directory, and after a few trys i was able to get a start button, but it would start then imediatly after is says flash failed, i am going to try and redownload the file and put it somewhere else... i will report back... thanx for stickin with me.
  17. Sam Fisher

Sam Fisher New Member

ok, now i feel sort of stupid... the more i look at it the more i think that i may already have SPRecovery installed to my phone, so now i just need to either find what program to flash so i can get to that screen on my phone or maby find a way around the boot screen or something, but it still is failing to flash that SPRecovery through rsd... i will keep looking
  18. jntdroid

A lot of times rsdlite will say "failed" even when it hasn't, but normally it will do something and THEN say failed, it won't say it failed immediately after you start. If the phone reboots, then it hasn't failed.

The best way to see if you have sprecovery installed is to power down your phone, open the keyboard, hold down X and power it back on - keep hold X until you see a menu screen. If you see a droid image in the background and things in the menu like "reboot phone" or "install" or "backup/restore" then you're good to go.

Check out this video and you can at least see what yours should look like - Video: Flashing SPRecovery SBF to Stock 2.1 | Droid Life: A Motorola Droid Blog

I probably should've posted that video for you earlier!
  19. Sam Fisher

Sam Fisher New Member

ive gone as far as i can go without furthur assistance, i downloaded the 2.01 stock sbf file to see if it would flash that and i still get "flash failed" in rsd... not sure what im doing wrong...

phone is plugged in, and charged
    bootloader is running
    rsd is running as admin, and file is selected
    i hit start and its starts for a second
    then it says failed

i start phone holding x
    the same picture of the ! in a triangle comes up

i start the phone normaly and it does the partial boot loop

i cant get to SPRecovery screen and i cant seem to flash= bricked
  20. jntdroid

crap man... as long as you've got the right drivers installed, i don't know any more to help you out i don't think... if it makes you feel any better, i don't think they've had a single bricked phone out of any issues brought up on this forum

maybe someone from the rescue squad can help out some more...might repost in there, or mention this post in there, or maybe someone will move this over there

i'll be following this to see what happens!
Search tags for this page
moto cliq stock sbf

motorola cliq stock rom download