Ignore Predictive Text... But only once...

djharris

Reaction score
So, I'm wondering how I can ignore predictive text WITHOUT adding the word I want typed to my personal dictionary.

Example: I want to type the word "teh" but NOT add it to my custom dictionary.

If I type it in, and press the space bar, it will replace it with "the"

If I click on the word when it gives me suggestions, it will add it to the dictionary, and this is not the desired behavior. (nor do I want to have to go in and delete it from my custom dictionary after the fact)

I'm using the HTC Thunderbolt using stock software, no rooting, alternate keyboards, or anything like that... yet.

--Dave

Graymayre

Reaction score
Just backspace over the space and the word reverts back. If you then space again it stays that way.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

Graymayre

Reaction score
Also, if you want it for extended periods of time, you can go into settings, select Language and Keyboard, then Multitouch Keyboard, and deselect Autocorrect errors.
Your menu options may be slightly different.

OP
D

djharris

Reaction score
Just backspace over the space and the word reverts back. If you then space again it stays that way.

Darn it! Tried it and that method adds it to the dictionary. I want it to not add it to the dictionary.

imgoinghome

Reaction score
Type the word, don't hit space or anything, then just tap the screen elsewhere on the text. It should keep it as 'teh' but not show the message that teh was added.

sidsixseven

Reaction score
Also, if you want it for extended periods of time, you can go into settings, select Language and Keyboard, then Multitouch Keyboard, and deselect Autocorrect errors.

That's not an option. You can "check spelling before making suggestions" or turn predictive text off entirely. No in-between where you still have predictive text but it doesn't autocorrect. Pretty stupid, IMO.

Regretting that I didn't download Swype while it was free on Amazon.

Graymayre

Reaction score
You don't have swipe? I have it and don't use it. And how would you get it from Amazon, I've never heard of this.

OP
D

djharris

Reaction score
Type the word, don't hit space or anything, then just tap the screen elsewhere on the text. It should keep it as 'teh' but not show the message that teh was added.

only way I can figure out to have the desired affect, but it's annoying. there should be a quicker, more in-line way.

OP
D

djharris

Reaction score

That's not an option. You can "check spelling before making suggestions" or turn predictive text off entirely. No in-between where you still have predictive text but it doesn't autocorrect. Pretty stupid, IMO.

Regretting that I didn't download Swype while it was free on Amazon.

Anyone can get the Swype beta for free.

Swype | Text Input for Screens

Personally, I'm pretty new to Android, so I don't want to muck around with swapping out major system components like text entry/keyboard stuff just yet. Especially if it's still in beta.

In fact, the FAQ on the Swype Beta indicates that Swype will never be available as a direct-download service because they need heavy integration with a specific device. If you really want it, the Beta's not a bad idea since you get a text entry option you'd like better, while giving Swype feedback to help other users of your same phone.

Pratyusha

Reaction score
text input software

@Dave and sidsixseven

If you are not using any specific text input software, perhaps Adaptxt might be a good option to try with. Its a host of features. It would provide you "teh" and "the" both without adding to dictionary unless asked for.

May be u can give a shot at its latest release Ovi Store: Adaptxt or its website Adaptxt Home | Adaptxt