If you rooted, how long did you wait?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by OpalCat, Mar 14, 2010.

1. OpalCat

OpalCat Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Seems to me like it's best to get to know the native phone before rooting, but there was that one guy who did it within hours, so who knows??

If you've rooted your phone, how long did you wait after getting it to do so? For me it was 3 months.

2. Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +162
    It took me about 6 weeks to finally do it. After that, I was still nervous about what I did for another week or two, but now that I have access to ROM's I really like, I don't think I'll ever unroot. There's some very easy ways to root your phone now, and lots of people around here willing to help you out too.

3. OpalCat

OpalCat Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I used DM Updater and it was easy as pie. Actually, easier than pie, as making a pie has more steps and takes longer :tongue:

4. Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +162
    Yes, DM Updater makes it so simple, even old people like me are able to root. What ROM are you using? DM1.0?

EDIT: I just saw another thread of yours asking about changing the App Drawer - so ignore this one. I have no answer for you about changing the App Drawer however.

5. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Ummm...I'm older then Vulcan and I used DMupdater. Vulcan however is smarter then I am about changing ROMs and all that stuff.

6. tcrews

tcrews Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +22
    I waited about a month. My main desire was to just overclock the phone so rooting, installing an overclocking kernal and getting SetCPU was my goal.

Probably 2 weeks after that the ERE25 and then the ESE53 2.1 Rom images popped up and everyone was raving about how much "better" their phone was running one of these and I finally installed Chevy's Simply Stunning ESE53 2.1 Rom. It's been fantastic with zero issues.

Tom Crews

7. Serialkilla

Serialkilla Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think I waited the length of time it took to get home and open the box - about 15 minutes...lol

8. OpalCat

OpalCat Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Did you have previous Android experience, Serialkilla?

9. darreno1

darreno1 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Almost 4 months. Since release I've only been rooted for a week. I waited for a while to see how others were doing and was also hoping the 2.1 update would be released but my patience grew thin. No regrets and I can always go back to being unrooted but right now I don't see the point. The performance benefits are too great.

10. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6
    I waited about 30 seconds after I read the post on how to do it when it first hit...

11. christim

christim DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +2
    Got the phone a week after release date. When we first could root the only real reason for me to have done it would have been just because I could have. I didn't have the time to dig in real deep so had to rely on others to create the roms we use now. Then I read and read and read. Then I actually walked others through it before I did it myself. I wanted the 6 hour window on a Saturday to get my phone functioning "just in case" so time slipped by until that became available. Took about 3 hours from start to finish due to a misunderstanding between me and the sprecovery app. (to do a recovery you have to select it in backup first and I wasn't looking in backup I was looking in recovery!).

SetCPU purchased Feb 20th and Root Explorer the 22nd so it was right around then. according to https://checkout.google.com/main so it was about 100 days.

That also means I have not been rooted for even a month yet. It seems way longer than that:)

12. Serialkilla

Serialkilla Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I did not, but I'm stupid like that, I will jump right into it without hesitation. I was also a huge BB user/abuser/hacker - and also jailbreaking the original iphone before that,flashing motorola razrs too - And I can honestly say, after all I have done, and tried, and screwed up over the years, with these different platforms - I never perminantly bricked any device. And I have screwed up many times...lol.
    I will say, android is the most complex of all tho, and a lot more involved - but as you learn it,and get comfortable with it - it's awesome. There is a lot to learn with android, and unlike BB's,or iphones, I'm a long way away from writing any of my own files.
    There are sooo many amazing tutorials on this forum,and everyone is absolutely awesome at helping others out that have trouble here. If you do decide to jump in - I would recommend,which I'm sure you already have, read up on everything, and familiarize yourself with the system before doing it blindly and learning the hard way...lol. There is always someone here to help too, if you get stuck. Good Luck!

13. czerdrill

czerdrill Silver Member

Ratings:
    +12
    About a month, and I cant believe I waited so long...it's like a brand new phone :)

14. BlazinCaucasian

BlazinCaucasian Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I also waited a month I read a lot of the posts and tried to figure out the best way.

15. sc4fpse

sc4fpse Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Rooted February 24th, received the phone on Christmas. So, almost two months. Considering I was too afraid to so much as touch my Razr (was too afraid of bricking it with a seem edit), it's a miracle that I felt comfortable enough to root my Droid. Thank God for DroidMod. :icon_ banana: