If you have FC, lag, sounds, etc and think your og droid HW is failing - READ THIS.

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by mwahlquist, Oct 13, 2011.

1. prime

prime Kernel Developer
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +74
    If MTD the mtdutils should be used, if using dd I believe you would need to specify the beginning/ending physical memory addresses of each location(partition).

More mtdutils info: http://bit.ly/tEm35Z

Memory Technology Device (MTD) Subsystem for Linux. http://bit.ly/vNtH8A

2. Pilky

Pilky New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds good, I'll stick with Pete's as well. Which brings my last question, for someone looking to just root, would it make sense to use Pete's FRG83G right off the bat instead of using FRG22D and then doing an OTA update or does it not matter either way?

Once again thanks for this thread and answering all our questions. :icon_ lala:

3. martytoo

martytoo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I was so happy to use this method to rejuvenate my Droid 0G until yesterday. I used the method of unrooting and rooting to load Liquid 3.0 . I used this all weekend and the root method and Liquid made my phone look like new. On Monday afternoon my wife called me and I had the dreaded can't pick up the phone - phone keeps vibrating problem.

I last night installed the latest Bugless. Today when she called me I couldn't answer the phone. I swiped and was driving - so I tried to turn on the speaker phone. The interface didn't completely show up. The button for Speaker wasn't there.

So I called her back and then she couldn't hear me!!!

Back to Froyo?

4. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,003
    I had some issues with Pete's latest making a call today. It's kind of buggy. I should probably go back to GPA17. That seemed best.

But we'll see. I just forced all user apps (except widgets and a few others) to my SD. They seem to work without issue, but I don't know if the free space on internal memory makes a difference (it's separate from the allocation for ram, I believe).

5. sxm

sxm Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Re-rooting removes the red Motorola logo on boot. FYI

6. mwahlquist

mwahlquist Member

Ratings:
    +8
    I don't have time to reply to everyone tonight, but those of you with call silence issues, GB has done this to me on every ROM that I have tried until I rebooted the first time. Reboot for me fixes all call issues, but I ALWAYS get the unanswerable call, and somehow I always seem to forget!

7. projektorboy

projektorboy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    For rooting a stock ROM, just use the FRG83G SBF right off the bat. It's the easiest way to ensure that you have the cleanest possible system to start with. Also it's only Android 2.2.2 and root methods for that one are a dime a dozen.

8. schwinn

schwinn Member

Ratings:
    +0
    erase_volume is being used on /data and /cache (per recovery.c)
    erase_volume is also being used on /system (per wipe_menu.c)

From what I am reading on other forums (I'm not sure if posting links from other forums is allowed), all three of these partitions (/system, /data, /cahce) are YAFFS partitions... which means it should be using the mtdutils code and mtd_write_partition to wipe them.

So, Prime, you are correct (as usual)... but I'm still not sure "how" the write is performed based on the code. Is there any verification that the write was "good" or "valid"? I see mention of "bad blocks" in the code, but I don't see where this is detected and accommodated for?

9. Pilky

Pilky New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Great thanks. Gonna try out some more apps and stuff I'v been meaning to try then I'll reload everything fresh.

10. SlammedDime

SlammedDime Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Technically, flashing a full stock SBF is what removes the red logo.

11. mwahlquist

mwahlquist Member

Ratings:
    +8
    disagree. Straight from Pete himself. Choose 22 as the post lists. I wanted to skip and do exactly what you mentioned and he said no. It is the cleanest and recommended for this process over the others.

12. JustisLewis

JustisLewis Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Internal storage is not Random Access Memory, it's much slower and thats why everyone doesn't just co-opt internal storage to use as RAM

Search tags for this page

fc, lag, sounds, etc

fcvvvjddhdlag

if you have fc

mtdutils.c

samsung stratosphere lag fix

zte warp bricked help