If you have FC, lag, sounds, etc and think your og droid HW is failing - READ THIS.

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by mwahlquist, Oct 13, 2011.

1. mwahlquist

mwahlquist New Member

So I have been a faithful droid head since the beginning... and like many people, I am barely hanging on with my OG droid malfunctioning, etc. I had flashed back and forth, always faithfully wiping, and cache, and dalvik... 3x, etc... everything. With my issues (and knowing it wasn't Pete's code or anyone else's) I settled on the fact that it must just be hardware failing. After a talk with Pete, I found out this is not the case.

Regardless of how much wiping we do, the options we have available don't actually wipe the entire handset. Only the RSDlite method using SBF to stock will do this. After returning my handset to Pete's 22D version STOCK like from verizon, and then starting over rerooting, ROM, etc, my handset again works like a champ. (i still don't believe it and can't account for it... but it just worked... amazingly)

FC's are gone. I even had issues where the phone would keep vibrating through answering the phone. Loud and obnoxious noises coming from my handset at random times. It was quite a mess. So if you are in this same boat, and no ones ROM seems to work "like you remember"... you may have a similar issue.

ps - i work in the field of digital forensics and am going to try to do more research into exactly what we aren't "touching" during our normal wipe/install path. It is obviously something because my handset isn't even the same and I really don't understand why. I even admit to temporarily trying many different ROMs as I troubleshot through my issues and nothing helped.

Let me know if anyone else gets similar results. I have a brand new og droid again and now I KNOW I can hold out for that Nexus Prime.

EDIT:
    Unroot - How To: Unroot the Motorola Droid | TheUnlockr - I replaced the stock version with pete's stock 22D (at his reco).

You should not need to activate, only login through google. If you stay on the stock baseline long enough, your service provider (verizon) may try to send you an OTA update. The OTA may put your handset into a mode where it needs to be activated, I don't know cuz I won't accept the update. Reject and move to rooting and ROM replacement.

Reroot - Root Droid 1 - regardless of OS version

These were my main resources, I hit a few more sites just to confirm steps and such. I also used RSDlite v5.0 instead of the legacy version listed in these guides.

EDIT AGAIN! SBF Section, not OTA.
    [TABLE="class: filecabinet-table, width: 596"]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: td-file"]FRG22D
    View[/TD]
    [TD="class: td-desc filecabinet-desc"]SBF file used to flash device back to stock using RSDLite.[/TD]
    [TD="class: td-size"][/TD]
    [TD="class: td-rev"][/TD]
    [TD="class: td-time"]Aug 18, 2011 5:33 PM[/TD]
    [TD="class: td-user"]Peter Alfonso[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

http://download.peteralfonso.com/sholes
    8 people like this.
  2. TheIceCable

TheIceCable Member

I have developed a problem/habit with flashing ROM's just about every week. I like to see what options are available and how they run on my OG. Anyway, I was thinking this a couple weeks ago. I have been having some issues with FC's and lag on ROM's that used to be GTG......so I sbf'd back to stock, rooted it and flashed SS 5.5 and now it just hums right along. I too, have zero idea why, and it may be just in my head, but my phone seems to be acting more like it just came out of the box.
  3. jcardona1

jcardona1 New Member

Interesting. Can somebody point me to a thread that talks about using RSD to go back to stock? I know I've seen it somewhere, should have bookmarked it! I used RSD to root a long time ago
  4. mwahlquist

mwahlquist New Member

5. droid2drummer

droid2drummer New Member

Great post brother! I am always sbfing before fresh installs and have NEVER had an issue unless ROM or my own user related issues...your write up could save many people headaches and actually save verizon and asurion many headaches....lol Thanks again, and please, if you find more, pass it on!:) peace! the drummer:)

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums
  6. jcardona1

jcardona1 New Member

Thanks! Now to set aside a few hours to wipe this damn thing and hack it again :icon_ banana:
  7. mwahlquist

mwahlquist New Member

no prob guys, happy to help

That feeling when you first installed BB for the very first time... its BACK!
  8. JSM9872

JSM9872 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Good suggestion for sure. IMO there is nothing like a completely clean slate every now and then to ease the mind and issues.
  9. Plague1001

Plague1001 New Member

this is very awesome fix, and I want to try it on my og droid, but where can I download pete's 22d file. I went to his site and wasn't able to locate it.
  10. CptSashimi

CptSashimi New Member

Wow. Gotta try this. I actually "upgraded" to a hand me down X because of problems like these. Thanks

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
  11. ufcfan72

ufcfan72 New Member

I took your advice on this issue a few months back. It fixes all of the issues with lag for me.

Sent from my DROID using DroidForums
  12. mwahlquist

mwahlquist New Member

EDIT AGAIN! SBF Section, not OTA.
    [TABLE="class: filecabinet-table, width: 596"]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: td-file"]FRG22D
    View[/TD]
    [TD="class: td-desc filecabinet-desc"]SBF file used to flash device back to stock using RSDLite. [/TD]
    [TD="class: td-size"][/TD]
    [TD="class: td-rev"][/TD]
    [TD="class: td-time"]Aug 18, 2011 5:33 PM[/TD]
    [TD="class: td-user"]Peter Alfonso

[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

Sholes - Peter Alfonso
  13. jcwilliams

jcwilliams Active Member

I just might have to try this!
  14. DHO

DHO New Member

Im in the same boat, but been counting the days to Prime
    If the weekend is kind, I might try this.
  15. InfernoX51

InfernoX51 New Member

This actually works out really well - I came across the benefits of doing this shortly after Gingerbread builds started popping up at the beginning of the year (and I was flashing a new ROM 2-3x a day). Along with the full SBF wipe back to stock, I also recommend completely clearing out your SD Card (after backing it up of course), and then just manually put necessary files/pictures/rom zips back on. That way you have even less random crap floating around.
  16. jcardona1

jcardona1 New Member

Just wanna say thanks again for this thread. Used one of Pete's sbf files and flashed the phone back to stock, then re-rooted. Phone is running just like I remember it back in 2009. Let's hope it stays that way for a while. I've always just wiped data/cache before, so this will be my new way of doing things.

Sent from my DROID using Tapatalk
  17. droid2drummer

droid2drummer New Member

Um...I use my computer for sbfing when I have to, but I'm not sure if you all on the awesome OG have the .zip flashable sbf via team black hat app or not...It would be so worth checking in to...Of course you will get the failure to update radio error, but it works flawlessly...I use this when I'm not around a computer to flash a clean ROM...Hope this is available to you folks...When I had the OG droid, it didn't exist when I was on it...but it should since our devices are very similar...honestly after having the D2 since it came out, I miss the durability of the OG , and don't think they will ever build a phone again as solid....Peace!

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums
  18. joebro84

joebro84 New Member

Whatever was wrong with my Droid is now fixed because of this post. Thank You!! My Droid runs perfectly now. It even remembers my SD Speed Increase settings after I reboot, whereas before it did not.
  19. Plague1001

Plague1001 New Member

Ok, so I did this over the weekend, and the phone is rooted and romed with Pete's 2.3.5 load, but I just found out today that I have no sound when I get a phone call. Anyone have this issue? or know how to fix it? I guess I will go back to stock again and see if the phone works then.

Update:
    I went back to stock, and the phone is working now.
    I flashed SP Recovery, still working.
    I flashed Root, still working.

Ok, so I flashed Pete's 2.3.5 again, and the speaker doesn't work again. I don't get it.
  20. mwahlquist

mwahlquist New Member

Plague,
    There were some issues with that on some of Pete's older ROM's, most reported that a single reboot would fix the issue, or that it would only happen once. It could be a clocking thing. Gingerbread was meant for phones that had many more ponies than og droid. Pete did an amazing thing by pushing these sets of ROMs out, but keep in mind you are trying to run Gingerbread on half the processor and half the RAM that was intended. That's why Moto didn't even bother updating.
    Bump your clock up.

A second thing. I never had any luck dipping my lower clock region down. Things like this would happen because the phone wouldn't "wake up" fast enough. Just a thought.

I try to at least be 600-1k range.
Search tags for this page

fc, lag, sounds, etc

fcvvvjddhdlag

if you have fc

mtdutils.c

samsung stratosphere lag fix