If you guys had an upgrade right now...

Mustangjoey

Reaction score
What would you do with it? I currently have a droid x, I like it, had the original droid before this. Never rooted either phone unfortunately. I really like htc's interface and the thunderbolt feels good in the hand, love the features, and 4g is close to where I live but not in my city yet...

Basically I'm wondering if the thunderbolt is worth using the upgrade, or if I should wait for dinc 2, X2, or even the lg phone coming out. Ugh! Decisions decisions. What would you guys do?

ajb3985

Reaction score
I have the same dilema. Im thinking im going to hold out for the bionic or something better. Have to be picky now since there are no more yearly upgrades

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
M

Mustangjoey

Reaction score
Exactly! And the bionic is VERY appealing. I've seen a few thunderbolts for sale on CL lately for under 400 new in box. Maybe I'll do that and keep my upgrade for the bionic. I don't know though.....

ajb3985

Reaction score
Yea if you got money to spend it would be nice for sure. Im rooted running liberty so i have no complaints and it wouldnt be worth it for me. Heck, this phone will be gettin gingerbread real soon too. I want a phone that would blow this one outta the water and im just not seeing it right now...

bendystrawboy

Reaction score
i couldnt imagine using a stock droidx, whenever i have to use an unrooted x it makes me sad at how bad blur really is.

I think if you were to root and install the gbread leak you'd be able to hold off for a wile, it would feel like a new phone.

ajb3985

Reaction score
Is the latest build just as stable as liberty 2.0.1? Been thinkin about it, just not sure if they were official builds yet

dansamy

Reaction score
i couldnt imagine using a stock droidx, whenever i have to use an unrooted x it makes me sad at how bad blur really is.

I think if you were to root and install the gbread leak you'd be able to hold off for a wile, it would feel like a new phone.

I've rooted my X, but haven't loaded any custom ROMs. I rooted to gain hotspot ability. Moto's stuff isn't as obtrusive as I was expecting & it's not that bad.

ajb3985

Reaction score
Hate to admit it, but id like to see the specs on the iphone coming in september..

mach330

Reaction score
i'm saving my upgrade as well. i love my dinc and if i'm swapping to a 4g phone , i need the following requirements:

- screen resolution on a 4.3" should be really good like an ips. is the bionic 900*xxxx resolution? i would want that on that qhd display
- battery life has to be pretty good
- not plasticy

thunderbolt is too big and heavy for me. the charge seems good, but i hate the plasticy of the galaxy s phones. i was really dreaming that there would be a 4" lte phone but they are all seem to be 4.3"

hence..i'm waiting a bit. who knows, the iphone 5 might surprise as i hate to say it.

guyinlaca

Reaction score
I have a Droid X, and just got the Thunderbolt. To be honest, next to a rooted Droid X, the only big advantage of the Thunderbolt is 4G data speeds, which I must say are very impressive. Here is my comparison (ratings out of 10):

Voice Quality:
DX- 9
TB- 5

The Droid X is very crisp and clear, while the Thunderbolt is tinny sounding.

Battery Life:
DX- 7
TB- 1

My Droid X can last 24-30 hours on a charge, while the Thunderbolt can only last 8-10 hours per charge

Build Quality:
DX- 10
TB- 9

I could go on and on, but I truly believe the Droid X is a better phone in most respects. That said, the 4G data speeds are amazing, and right now I'm sacrificing a bit to get those speeds. Yes, the Sense interface is clean, has great widgets, and keeps social networking well organized, it does seem a bit bloated compared to the stock Android and even MotoBlur.

The Droid Bionic will be the best of both worlds and as soon as it's released I will be getting rid of the Thunderbolt, given that it meets my expectations.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
If I had an upgrade I would wait for either the Bionic or the Galaxy S2.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

spcking

Reaction score
EVO 3D

Sent from my Evo 4G with cyanogen 7.0.3.1 using DroidForums

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'd definitely hold out. The Bionic if you have LTE, maybe the DX2 or Droid3 if you won't have LTE for 18 months or so.

And maybe unlimited data is worth something to you. In that scenario, if they announce they are going to tiers I'll grab whatever LTE phone is available. Maybe. I'm usually on wifi, so unlimited data is just a sucker play for me. But I can justify it because I'm dying for a phone more powerful than the D1.

Beka27

Reaction score
If I was using a rooted, yet stock, DX and had an upgrade available... I would definitely hold out. There is so much untapped potential on your DX. Use your device to its fullest first before trading in for something new.

OP
M

Mustangjoey

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies guys. Think I might hold out. I can try to be patient. I might try to root my X, or talk to someone who has done it before. Because I'm sort of a newb to that stuff. All I was wanting was something different. So that may hold me over fine for a while..