If you DON'T have 4G in your area...

If you don't have 4G coverage in your area, what phone will you purchase?

• HTC Thunderbolt (4G)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Motorola Droid Bionic (4G)

• Motorola Droid 3

• Motorola Droid X2

• HTC Droid Incredible 2

• Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

acles003

Reaction score
What phone would you buy if you were due for an upgrade.

Would you still get a 4G phone like the HTC Thunderbolt? Droid Bionic?

Or wait until 4G comes to your area and go with a (rumored) 3G phone like the
Droid 3, Droid X2, or Droid Incredible 2?

OP
acles003

acles003

Reaction score
Bump for more responses. Im in this situation and want others opinions.

jr313

Reaction score
I live in Detroit and 4g isnt here yet but i am getting the Thunderbolt as soon as its available...i'll run 3g untill 4g reaches my area which by Verizons claims shouldnt be too much longer...

Bxrider117

Reaction score
I'm extremely interested to hear what download speeds people will get with the Thunderbolt. I will have to see a huge jump in order to use an upgrade for a 4g phone this year. If not I'll rock my DX until next year.

bendystrawboy

Reaction score
i upgrade every 10 months, but if i were on a normal 2 year upgrade path i think i'd wait for a dual core phone.

Reaction score
I live in a semirural area so I don't think I'm going to get 4g any time soon but if the 4g is 29.99 I'm getting the thunderbolt. It's going to be a awesome phone even without 4g coverage!

Beka27

Reaction score
I would be tempted to get a 4G phone since it's rumored that the $29.99 unlimited data plan may just be for a temporary period. But if you had an existing contract, that price would be grandfathered in. Of course I'm cheap, so anything to save a buck. ;o) You have to remember that the 4G phones are pretty snazzy all by themselves, 4G is just going to make them better! Now is the Thunderbolt (minus 4G) ENOUGH of a draw? No dual-core?

The DX2, DI2, and D3 are all big question marks. The specs are not truly known.

Detonation

Reaction score
Without specs of the other phones you can't really make a decision. I'll probably still get a 4g phone though, it will be in my area by the summer (hopefully) and it sounds like at this point 4g pricing will be the same, so why not?

randy10786

Reaction score
Im currently sitting on an upgrade, but the Thunderbolt and Bionic dont interest me. I really love my Droid 1 and having a physical keyboard so I see no reason to upgrade. I voted Droid 3. Even though we dont know much specs, I am still gonna hold out for the new 3G phones. I find 3G to be plenty fast enough so why get 4G yet?

9wire

Reaction score
I dunno. Local VZW guy said our 3g was out of bandwidth and overdue for an upgrade so they're going to go with 4g. Impossible to get any official kind of info, isn't it?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

timothytim

Reaction score
Yes & No

VZ is my carrier. I don't have LTE-4G where I live yet, but did upgrade to a LTE-4G phone. I do a little bit of traveling and the service is excellent when I am in an area where they have LTE-4G. Major metro areas already have it. More rural areas generally do not unless they are along a major interstate. It makes sense for VZ to build the network where it will be used most. Here are some considerations. (1) If you don't have LTE-4G and don't travel outside your area, a 4G phone isn't going to give you any performance boost as it will still operate in 3G. (2) New phones with more features, newer Android versions, and fewer problems are constantly being introduced. (3) Some existing 4G phones lack features that you would expect them to have. For example my phone has Android 2.2. Although it has front and rear facing cameras, only the rear facing camera will work with Skype. Phones with Android 2.3 promise to be able to use both cameras (4) If you have lots of $$$ and don't care if you keep your phone for two years before getting a new one, go ahead and upgrade as often as you need to keep current. (5) If you are like me and generally keep a phone for at least two years, consider waiting to upgrade until they light up 4G in your area. Wait until it is working - don't move on a promise or rumor. (5) I am not unhappy with my new phone, but probably would have waited a while longer if I knew then what I know now. (6) My new Android phone is much better for doing non-phone things than my old phone, e.g. the camera is better, it has lots more memory to hold music, videos, etc., but as a phone or for web surfing & email, it is not any better than the old one unless I travel to a 4G area.