if you arent sick of rooting questions...

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by MontanaBighorn, May 27, 2011.

1. MontanaBighorn

Ratings:
    +0
    i have an original droid (running 2.2.2) with no plans of upgrading (although i would consider it if the droid X ever comes with forward facing camera) anytime soon. i recently purchased a motorola xoom, and wish to be able to tether it to my droid wirelessly and for this i need root.

ive began my research to learn how to root my droid and while there are tutorials out there they seem to assume a working knowledge. in addition, many of the links to the necessary software required are outdated and broken.

im also learning that there are custom ROMs available for rooted droids, but no real explanation is given on what a custom ROM does for me and why i might need one.

is there a "rooting for dummies" guide available with start to finish instructions, explanations, and valid links to updated software?

any other assistance on this would be greatly appreciated.

2. wallratt

wallratt New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    There is a thread on this forum title "Root Droid 1 - regardless of os version"
    This will tell you exactly what to do. just be sure to read the ENTIRE post a few times to be sure to understand what you are doing as there is an important step to keep your phone from reverting back to the stock recovery. Also i recomend reading the sticky tread title "all in one popular thread" in the droid hacks forum, it will help you.

3. guidot

guidot Developer Relations
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +274
    First and second links in my signature.

You are welcome! :)

4. turtlegss

turtlegss Member

Ratings:
    +0
    if you are on the most updated which i think its frg83d. then you can use superoneclick and attach it to your computer and 1 click it. However... results may vary. I did it that way and have had no problem what soever you just need to make sure its compatible with whatever 1 clicker. I decided to manual root my xoom cuz I heard many brick stories... I haven't seen a true brick for OG droid ever so its fairly safe imo

5. Chizzele

Chizzele Team Sourcery
    Developer

Ratings:
    +17
    Most recent Froyo is FRG83G 2.2.2