If you are having weak signal issues...

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
How long did it take to fix Bionic's radio?
Is it truly fixed, or still having problems?

This will be a deciding factor for me. No matter how good the phone may be, without a good connection, it's not that great.

Kinda like the Pimp My Ride show where they would rework the car's body and add speakers and bling, but it still could stall out on the way up the road and the mechanics may use the electronics more than the owner.

Comparing the Bionic's update schedule to the Nexus is apples to oranges. Someday people will realize how important it is that Google directly updates the Nexus, this dramatically reduces update waits.

The Bionic just received it's signal software update on December 13th and the phone was released on September 8th.

baldybill

Reaction score
Comparing the Bionic's update schedule to the Nexus is apples to oranges. Someday people will realize how important it is that Google directly updates the Nexus, this dramatically reduces update waits.

The Bionic just received it's signal software update on December 13th and the phone was released on September 8th.

Did this truly fix the signal problems?

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Guys I was just posting a comment in another thread when I came across this one. Whats troubling about this whole thing is that it's NOT a connectivity problem but a poor reception issue. There's a BIG difference.

This just MAY be the best it gets. Does anyone know if a software update can increase mW's to the radios? For the sake of discussion lets just say yes it can. You are now dealing with heat and battery issues by tinkering with the radios's. So they could have already hit the "sweet spot" in regards to reception, battery, and heat. Droid Charge is still struggling with poor reception and they are using the same radio's.

Anyway, does anyone know if a software update can increase the radio's mW?

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Guys I was just posting a comment in another thread when I came across this one. Whats troubling about this whole thing is that it's NOT a connectivity problem but a poor reception issue. There's a BIG difference.

This just MAY be the best it gets. Does anyone know if a software update can increase mW's the radios? For the sake of discussion lets just say yes it can. You are now dealing with heat and battery issues by tinkering with the radios's. So they could have already hit the "sweet spot" in regards to reception, battery, and heat. Droid Charge is still struggling with poor reception and they are using the same radio's.

I would think it could, but like you said, hardware is hardware and there's likely a reason it was set the way it was in the first place.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score

This just MAY be the best it gets. Does anyone know if a software update can increase mW's to the radios? For the sake of discussion lets just say yes it can. You are now dealing with heat and battery issues by tinkering with the radios's. So they could have already hit the "sweet spot" in regards to reception, battery, and heat. Droid Charge is still struggling with poor reception and they are using the same radio's.

Yes, my OG's DB got much better over time. The first few months it was near -100, it's now around -76 -84.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes, my OG's DB got much better over time. The first few months it was near -100, it's now around -76 -84.

I guess the network side of it could also play a part?

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Definitely and if Verizon can fix their LTE network, then the people having data drop issues will most likely have their issues resolved.

As I've said before, I don't have these issues, I've had one data drop and it was in our movie theater where my OG doesn't have a signal either. I've been in constant 4g coverage since I got the phone.

baldybill

Reaction score
I haven't noticed threads about connections dropping like this in the Razr section.
However, there are still threads like this in the Bionic.
I would hate to get this phone and have problems several months later like the Bionic.

Isn't data and voice connection an integral part of the phone?

Amberite

Reaction score
I live in the NYC area, so should be plenty of 4G signal available. Today got my phone, and I cannot get 4G at all currently. It tried a few times, but at -120 to -108, and almost immediately switched to 3G. At 3G I am getting full 4 bars and -75, which is OK I guess. However, yea absolutely no 4G at all.....

wolstonc

Reaction score
Okay I feel like there's another part of the puzzle that people aren't reporting here.

Voice goes over EVD-O (I think)
Data goes over 3G
Data goes over 4G.

The signal strengths for EACH of these are DIFFERENT. You can have good signal over 3G and nothing for 4G. So just because you are showing bad signal LTE, does not necessarily mean that you are going to have dropped calls.

Make sure you also look at the 'Mobile Network Type' under the About settings menu just under Signal strength

Just seems like after reading some people's comments, that this may help them. For those that know this, move on.

For me personally, I got a White RAZR and GNEX on release day......So I've been able to compare them side by side alot! Over all the RAZR signal is better by about 20-30dBm almost anywhere I go unless I'm in a really good signal area. I've never personally had a problem with the connection in terms of dropped data or calls, but those are the numbers on LTE.

At home for eg., on LTE my GnEx has ~100 with the RAZR next to it having ~76....but then again, I have read on Anandtech that Motorola does have some sort of secret sauce when it comes to Signal strength and battery life so I may have to live with it. BUT I am going to go to the VZ store and do some more comparisons between my Gnex and others there. if they all have the same signal then it's the general state of the Samsung radio as opposed to an isolated case of something wrong with mine.

When I worked for VZW they told us evdo was the same as 3G. Like how hspa is atts 3G. Hence why you can't talk and use data on 3G, they are both done in 3G so you can only do one or the other. 4G is data only so you can surf on 4G and talk on 3G at the same time

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I haven't noticed threads about connections dropping like this in the Razr section.
However, there are still threads like this in the Bionic.
I would hate to get this phone and have problems several months later like the Bionic.

Isn't data and voice connection an integral part of the phone?

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr/188397-data.html

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...eps-dropping-data-connection-anyone-else.html

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr/188211-do-you-guys-have-problems-3g-your-razr-too.html

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr/186921-phone-not-picking-up-4g.html

Just a few I've seen in the Razr forum.

wolstonc

Reaction score
I live in the NYC area, so should be plenty of 4G signal available. Today got my phone, and I cannot get 4G at all currently. It tried a few times, but at -120 to -108, and almost immediately switched to 3G. At 3G I am getting full 4 bars and -75, which is OK I guess. However, yea absolutely no 4G at all.....

I thought the bars didn't reflect 4G strength, only 3G? Hence why you can leave 4G and go into 3G while not losing any bars? I do it every day

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Diab210

Reaction score
I was sitting at -100 on 4g with 2 bars for a while until it randomly dropped out, then it went to -83 on 3g with 3 bars. I toggled the lte off in the radio settings, and then back on and now im at -83 on 4g. -83 is what my Dad's razr had this afternoon on 4g. Seems like the radio, at least mine, has the ability to get that signal. I'll keep an eye on it and see if it drops out in a little bit.