If you are having memory issues with (L)GB ROMS, try this...

Discussion in 'Liquid' started by rsimpson, Aug 16, 2011.

1. rsimpson

rsimpson Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Like many of you, I've been plagued with too little memory on the OG on any GB ROM. I've tried Supercharger this, AutoKiller that with very limited success. I have a lot of apps running at any given time so it is what it is. Apps like Google Maps, the camera, Tweetdeck, Google Voice, start to not work reliably. However...

I'm on LGB 2.6 now and it is great. I don't run any supercharger scripts or Autokiller. I do use Swapper2 however and man does it make a difference. I can say, for the first time since I've been on a GB ROM that the OG is singin' along very nicely and with LGB powering things, life is great. I got a new Anker Battery for the OG (Amazon.com: Anker 1500mAh Li-ion Battery for Motorola Droid 2 II A855 A955; Motorola Milestone 2 XT701 XT702 XT720 - White: Electronics) and am going on 23 hours since my last charge on moderate use. For some reason this battery doesn't give battery temps (does anyone know why?) but I do use SetCPU to monitor the CPU temps and it rarely gets over 110f (that's the cpu, not battery). I'm running Chevy .9ghz LV 5/31 kernel w/ min clock of .25ghz.

All is well in the land of the OG. The sad thing is... I just turned the corner on my contract and am up for the $50 discount on new phone (big woop right?). Will hold off till the Vigor and/or rumored "Nexus Prime" arrives.

Cheers all.

#1 rsimpson, Aug 16, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  2. b-jammin21

b-jammin21 Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Could you enlighten us on what your settings are in Swapper2? I would like to use it, but I have no idea what it is, what it does, and what settings would be best. Thanks.

3. thaDroidz

thaDroidz Silver Member

Ratings:
    +42
    Is this same principal as using compcache that us built into liquid's roms?

posted tomorrow using the space time continuum app on my D1...

4. rsimpson

rsimpson Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It basically uses your SD card as swapspace effectively giving you more working RAM. I'm just using the default settings. If anyone has advice for good OG Swapper2 settings, we'd love to hear.

5. rsimpson

rsimpson Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Good question. I don't know how the guts of Swapper2 works (does it compress the swap similar to compcache?) but the principal seems to be similar for both. I've never enabled compcache so I can't speak for it. If anyone has experience with either/both and can share knowledge, that would be great.

6. metalspring

metalspring Silver Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Compcache compresses a portion of the ram and stores some of the data of recently opened apps for quick access, so it does use a small part of your available ram.
    Swap however uses a portion of the sdcard as uncompressed additional ram and stores recently opened app data there. BUT it tends to be slower because most sdcards dont have great read/write speeds AND swap hurts your sdcard and can ruin the sdcard over time

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

7. danceswithbongs

danceswithbongs Active Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Metalspring has a good point as far as swap file is not the greatest for sd health. But instead I partitioned my sd with an ext partition and a swap partition. ROM MANAGER can set this up. But copy sd to computer, as the sd will be reformatted. This is important because now rather than creating and destroying a swap file on the regular main part of the sd which impacts health, you have a designated space for your swap which is formatted correctly for swap. Apparently swap uses a different file system or management so the swap partition is specifically formatted for swap data. You could never move or store any apps on the swap partition as they need to be stored in a place with the correct file system set up.

I have found that since I began using only swapper2 with my partition and completely dropped compcache, my experience has been great and I have seemed to avoid many of the issues that lack of memory causes.

There are several possible reasons behind the smoother results. Also I will provide my swapper2 settings below. Basically compcache needs to have memory available to do what it is supposed to, which is compressing and decompressing memory and exchanging it or dumping it.
    The issue is that sometimes compcache hits a virtual bottleneck where it can't decompress and recompress because everything is all trying to go through the same "doorway" all at the same time. Think Three Stooges but in RAM form.

My setup for swapper2 is as follows :
    256mb linuxswap partition
    Erased the swap folder name on first settings page and checked all the boxes.
    Set swappiness at 100
    Now the advanced settings page, check yes or on for all options
    No need to type in the location of the swap partition, as the app will populate that field with the correct info
    Enter busybox location in field provided, usually /system/xbin/busybox

Give a reboot and see what you think. One last thing is I also up my vm heap to 60 plus or minus 2 just depending if I am trying to see if there is a particular sweet spot. But never any glitch with vm between 58 to 62.

But I definitely don't have too many apps that run constantly and demand a lot of RAM.
    I like to freeze apps like maps or others with a giant memory footprint. Takes 10 seconds to unfreeze and open, and it still has the settings you had when you froze it.

But there is a definite tipping point of too many widgets and apps that are constantly re syncing like Facebook, twitter, live scrolling news feeds or a live scoreboard widget.

Hope any who try this, find they have great results.

walkin the walk while tappin the talk
    danceswithbongs

8. rsimpson

rsimpson Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Awesome, thanks for the ^ info. Very helpful. Some questions...

When you do the SD partition and copy all SD content to PC before hand... are there any more details about that? For example... seems like if you copy SD to PC, then partition the SD and everything on the SD is lost... what about all the apps that are stored there? I mean, I know all that will come back when you copy back from the PC, but in the mean time... just after the partition is created... won't the system get hosed up?

What do you mean by "freeze"?

And, there is so much talk about SD card degradation doing things like swap... what is your take on that? I've got the same card in there since I've had the phone... two years now. I read somewhere an analysis of what it would take to reach the tipping point on an SD card and it's something like 5 years with heavy IO.

#8 rsimpson, Aug 17, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  9. danceswithbongs

danceswithbongs Active Member

Ratings:
    +5
    rsimpson
    I am on tapatalk so I will answer within your quote below in CAPS since I can't change my font color

HOPE THAT HELPS AND I HAVE FOUND THAT AS LONG AS YOU HAVE A GOOD BACKUP OF A ROM ON YOUR COMPUTER, IT'S PRETTY DIFFICULT TO ACTUALLY BRICK THE PHONE. DIFFICULT NOT IMPOSSIBLE.
    I JUST MESS AROUND AND LEARN THROUGH TRIAL AND ERROR. AND WHEN TROUBLE REARS ITS UGLY HEAD, I FIRST TRY TO MACGYVER MY WAY OUT. THEN, I COME HERE AND SEE IF ANYONE CAN HELP ME WHERE I'M STUCK.

THIS IS A VERY HELPFUL COMMUNITY FULL OF MEMBERS WHO ARE GENEROUS WITH THEIR TIME AND SHARING THEIR KNOWLEDGE.

BASICALLY STANDING ON THE SHOULDERS OF GIANTS.

GOOD LUCK AND IF YOU ONLY WANT TO MAKE A SWAP PARTITION THERE ARE A LOT OF FREE SOFTWARE FOR PARTITIONING THE SD ONCE INSERTED INTO A COMPUTER. ONE I BELIEVE IS MIN PART TOOL OR A SIMILAR NAME.

walkin the walk while tappin the talk
    danceswithbongs

10. lfylove

lfylove Member

Ratings:
    +1
    When I hit on it just says please wait? Droid 1 v6 supercharger aggressive 1, cm7 nightly 158

Nvmind it worked
    Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

#10 lfylove, Aug 17, 2011
  11. 666ogre666

666ogre666 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    @danceswithbongs So I made a 256mb ext partition thru rom manager, how do I go about setting it up to work in that partition, Im new to swapper but Id like to get it set up

edit: I may have gotten it but it says "turning swap off(partition) FAIL" -> swapoff: /dev/block/mmcblk0p3: Invalid argument, then formatting enabling are both OK

Double secret edit: After it reboot it says its all ok. Any way i can check beyond just performance gains?

#11 666ogre666, Aug 17, 2011
  12. rsimpson

rsimpson Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Doesn't Clockwork Recovery have a partition SD option anymore? I can't seem to find it.

I'd like to do everything while in recovery... copy sd data to the pc... partition the sd card, then copy everything back. then reboot.

#12 rsimpson, Aug 17, 2011
Search tags for this page
dalvic cache heapsize

dalvik cache heap size

dalvik cache size

dlvik cache hipsize

does swapper dump degrade your sd card
droid x virtual memorr
invalid argument swapper2
swapoff /dev/block/mmcblk0p3 invalid argument
swapper2 error swap off fails