If this is a developer phone then...

shanimal92

Reaction score
why does unlocking the bootloader void my warranty? also, does google make the Nexus line with the hacking community in mind? could they make it so that rooting and unlocking the bootloader wouldnt void our warranty?

alienware777

Reaction score
Verizon gives your the warranty, not google. Google can't do anything about that unless they wanted to replace your phone instead. As for why verizon voids it, theres always a change you'll brick your phone, or hurt it by letting it overheat from overclocking it and such. They just don't want to take the risk.

captdroid

Reaction score
why does unlocking the bootloader void my warranty? also, does google make the Nexus line with the hacking community in mind? could they make it so that rooting and unlocking the bootloader wouldnt void our warranty?

Who knows... I'm not worried about it... if I need to return the phone I will flash it back to stock and lock it back up. If Verizon has anything to say at that point I will plead ignorance and tell them they must have sold it to me that way then! HA :) Or I have no idea what buttons I pressed to have that problem... lol

scdown

Reaction score
Because they can't always know everything you did to the device - if you installed a kernel that overclocked it too high with an aggressive governor, you could fry the thing, and nobody should have to replace the device because of that.

I would be in favor of a two-way-street approach to the warranty:
  • If you unlock the phone, you are out of warranty protection
  • If you can get back to a locked state, you are back in warranty protection
That way, benign activities that don't contribute to device failure don't hurt you. If you can't get back to a locked state, it's probably because of something you did, and that's on you.

They say, upon unlocking, that you may void your warranty. Has this been clarified yet?

captdroid

Reaction score
Because they can't always know everything you did to the device - if you installed a kernel that overclocked it too high with an aggressive governor, you could fry the thing, and nobody should have to replace the device because of that.

That way, benign activities that don't contribute to device failure don't hurt you. If you can't get back to a locked state, it's probably because of something you did, and that's on you.

They say, upon unlocking, that you may void your warranty. Has this been clarified yet?

Where does it say that... that font was really small and hard to read... lol :p And I didn't sign anything... was there a signature line there to authorizing this? lol :)

If I can't flash the phone back to stock and lock it back up then Verizon aint going to do anything with it either!

xliderider

Reaction score

Sorry, it's a one way street, unlock your device and you void the warranty. Just because you can lock it again doesn't mean you didn't do something while it was unlocked to mess it up.

Edit: But then again, how Verizon will know is another thing. ;) The only way they were basing whether your device was altered previously was if the OTA updates were being rejected by your device. But just unlocking your bootloader won't affect getting OTA updates. Rooting and romming is a different animal.

Last edited:

captdroid

Reaction score
Sorry, it's a one way street, unlock your device and you void the warranty. Just because you can lock it again doesn't mean you didn't do something while it was unlocked to mess it up.

Yup one way street... my Galaxy Nexus has a hardware problem I'm getting it replaced under warranty. If I happen to flush it down the toilet well then it will cost me 100 bucks insurance replacement :D

smokiedabong

Reaction score
How is this not unlocked? You have access to everything, it doesn't have an encrypted booltoader or other crap like other phones .
You said it's a developer phone, it may seem complicated to you but for a developer to enable root on this phone is as easy as going into settings and pushing a button. It has a default bootloader and a preloaded screen with the unlock sign to let you know it's in unlock mode so it's been designed to be unlocked. The phone is also a flagship phone sold to millions of people who may not be all developers, of course they won't sell it unlock by default, it needs a minimum protection to prevent some moron messing his phone up. What you expect , to have instructions on how to flash bootloaders in the Owner Manual ?

captdroid

Reaction score
Ummm... yea that would be cool smokiedabong... Verizon could add a section for kernel and ROM selection install do's and don'ts ... ROFL :big smile:

OP
S

shanimal92

Reaction score
How is this not unlocked? You have access to everything, it doesn't have an encrypted booltoader or other crap like other phones .
You said it's a developer phone, it may seem complicated to you but for a developer to enable root on this phone is as easy as going into settings and pushing a button. It has a default bootloader and a preloaded screen with the unlock sign to let you know it's in unlock mode so it's been designed to be unlocked. The phone is also a flagship phone sold to millions of people who may not be all developers, of course they won't sell it unlock by default, it needs a minimum protection to prevent some moron messing his phone up. What you expect , to have instructions on how to flash bootloaders in the Owner Manual ?

I like to think the best about people. I like to think that someone would not treat me like a fool because i dont know everything about a piece of hardware. You, sir, are treating me like a ignorant fool, apart from what your intentions might be.

smokiedabong

Reaction score
I like to think the best about people. I like to think that someone would not treat me like a fool because i dont know everything about a piece of hardware. You, sir, are treating me like a ignorant fool, apart from what your intentions might be.

Sry , from what I read initially I understood that you asked why isn't this phone unlocked if it's a developer phone, silly me. Beer may have something to do with it.

captdroid

Reaction score
Sry , from what I read initially I understood that you asked why isn't this phone unlocked if it's a developer phone, silly me. Beer may have something to do with it.

Ah that reminds me smokiedabong... time for a shot :biggrin:

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
What he's trying to say is Google has to lock the boot loaders to prevent any random person who has no clue what they're doing from downloading an overclocking rom and melting their processor.

If you take the time to learn to unlock/root then you probably will take the time to learn how to not kill your phone.

Verizon can't risk the returns at all, so they say it voids your warranty to prevent issues down the road.

You have to remember, Verizon purchases these phones from Google, they can't risk the high prices they pay for the devices for people to screw them up and attempt to return them.

Having said this, you can almost always unroot/re-lock your phone and return it anyways so it's really a non-issue.