If October release is true...

alboboy10

Reaction score
What exactly is a nexus device and what are the advantages.

As of now having owned couple of motorola phones and one htc I prefer htc but I really think after google partnered with them, motorola is going to make better devices in the future.

Reaction score
I would love to have this but wouldn't want it size is just large especially since the bezel will just be the same as any other large phone. Plus why is this forum called droid prime nexus is marketed as nexus not droids them selves

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Prime is the phone to have but I'm not going to wait for it. I'll get it when it comes out if I think I'll like it, but for now, I'll stick with the Bionic.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
What exactly is a nexus device and what are the advantages.

A Nexus device is a pure Google experience device. Fully unlocked, free from any carrier bloat and running the very latest os from google (in this case it will be Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0). It's a developer's dream phone, as well as mine and probably about 95% of the forum here, who have been waiting on a Nexus for Verizon.

I would love to have this but wouldn't want it size is just large especially since the bezel will just be the same as any other large phone. Plus why is this forum called droid prime nexus is marketed as nexus not droids them selves

1. Your statement about the bezel is completely incorrect. This device will be the first without capacitive buttons, and the screen is supposed to extend nearly all the way to the sides. Little to no bezel means they can fit a 4.5-4.6 inch screen into the same space as 4.3 inch phones right now. Picture your average sized Thunderbolt, Charge, Revo, whatever, and extend the screen over the entire face, that's what you should expect. If 4.3 phones are still too large for you, then this will not be the phone for you.

2. There's been no confirmation on the actual name of this device. BGR's source credibility has been called into question, so no one really knows what this device will be called. It could be a true Nexus device, called Nexus Prime, or it could be a Verizon branded Droid Prime (non-Nexus). Hell, we don't even know 100% that this is coming to Verizon. I am hopeful, as are most of us. A lot of us here have been waiting patiently for a device like this. We just have to wait and see. Google or Verizon should give us some answers fairly soon.

jseah

Reaction score
There will always be something better coming out two months later, so eventually you have to pull the trigger on something.

For me it'll be the Bionic. Having the Lapdock will remove my need of having a phone AND a tablet.

Isn't the Lapdock ridiculously expensive though? At the rumored pricing of $300, you might as well buy a tablet. At least it is cheaper than the Lapdock that came out with the Atrix (I think it was priced at $500). And from what I had heard, with the Atrix, AT&T required a tethering plan in order to use the Lapdock.

alboboy10

Reaction score
A Nexus device is a pure Google experience device. Fully unlocked, free from any carrier bloat and running the very latest os from google (in this case it will be Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0). It's a developer's dream phone, as well as mine and probably about 95% of the forum here, who have been waiting on a Nexus for Verizon.

Haha you sound very passionate about it. Thanks for the explanation. My friend has a nexus one and it was a great phone. Can't wait to see this one. Personally I love htc now but I would love to take a look at this phone when it comes out.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
Haha you sound very passionate about it. Thanks for the explanation. My friend has a nexus one and it was a great phone. Can't wait to see this one. Personally I love htc now but I would love to take a look at this phone when it comes out.

Not necessarily passionate, just excited.

I guess mostly just annoyed that Verizon is late to the party with a Nexus device. The OG Droid, which I'm still rocking is the closest Verizon customers have ever come to a Nexus device. If the Prime turns out to be a Droid instead of a Nexus, lets just hope Verizon gives it to us like the OG - vanilla and bloat free (wait, Verizon and bloat free, that's an oxymoron right?).

At least it's Samsung, and will be easily rooted.

Reaction score
Ignorant question here but since this will hopefully be an open dev phone does that mean that it will receive exclusive apps faster than others. An example would be Netflix app, how a lot of the lock down phones didn't get them until later.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ignorant question here but since this will hopefully be an open dev phone does that mean that it will receive exclusive apps faster than others. An example would be Netflix app, how a lot of the lock down phones didn't get them until later.

In a way, yes. Since a Nexus device is completely unlocked, and is carrying the cutting edge technology, every app (no matter how "exlusive") should work. Remember though, the Netflix app wasn't really exclusive and could be installed on a lot of rooted devices before it was officially available in the market. The main thing you can expect are prompt Google updates (i.e. software updates, bug fixes, etc.). Nexus phones are always the first to get major updates, where as every other phone updates have to go through the manufacturer and then through the carrier.

You may be missing the point of a Nexus device. They're essentially the latest and greatest hardware picked by Google to be used to showcase their latest os (ICS). The bonus for us and dev's is that they're unlocked (so we can flash roms or do whatever) or we can leave them stock and receive our updates directly from Google. Lots of options.

b-jammin21

Reaction score
In a way, yes. Since a Nexus device is completely unlocked, and is carrying the cutting edge technology, every app (no matter how "exlusive") should work. Remember though, the Netflix app wasn't really exclusive and could be installed on a lot of rooted devices before it was officially available in the market. The main thing you can expect are prompt Google updates (i.e. software updates, bug fixes, etc.). Nexus phones are always the first to get major updates, where as every other phone updates have to go through the manufacturer and then through the carrier.

You may be missing the point of a Nexus device. They're essentially the latest and greatest hardware picked by Google to be used to showcase their latest os (ICS). The bonus for us and dev's is that they're unlocked (so we can flash roms or do whatever) or we can leave them stock and receive our updates directly from Google. Lots of options.

I think you probably just sold some Nexus Primes with that post. Haha.

Now I'm just keeping my fingers crossed for a release sooner than later and hopefully it's coming to verizon.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think you probably just sold some Nexus Primes with that post. Haha.

Now I'm just keeping my fingers crossed for a release sooner than later and hopefully it's coming to verizon.

You and me both. I may just pick up a Bionic to hold me over, then ebay it when the Prime comes along. My poor OG is ready to be out to pasture...

alboboy10

Reaction score

May have sold me with this post...I was looking forward towards the vigor but idk. I'm sorry of excited about future motorola phones since google bought them now

Reaction score
You and me both. I may just pick up a Bionic to hold me over, then ebay it when the Prime comes along. My poor OG is ready to be out to pasture...
You and me both. I'm rocking the first build of the OG. Yes, the bubble keyboard. She has seen temps over 150 a couple of times, needless to say the CPU died a long time and she doesn't know it yet.

EFGantry

Reaction score

You and me both. I'm rocking the first build of the OG. Yes, the bubble keyboard. She has seen temps over 150 a couple of times, needless to say the CPU died a long time and she doesn't know it yet.

NEVER!! the OG is still a beast... :)

actually, my main purpose in posting was this, from the "fwiw" category: New Samsung Verizon Device Hinted at by Samsung Support? - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog