1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

If I want wireless tether, do I need to root and flash a rom?

Discussion in 'Droid Incredible Hacks' started by MagicMiloX, Mar 15, 2011.

1. MagicMiloX

MagicMiloX New Member

I'm a couple of weeks in to having my droid inc, and I was going to stay stock, but I'm already starting to get the itch to root. Surprisingly, I like the sense overlay, so my question is, I can't just root and then magically run wireless tether, I'm going to need to flash a rom with a custom kernel, right? Consider me a low intermediate technical user.

Thanks in advance for the noobishness
  2. GSXRADDICT

GSXRADDICT New Member

I am not totally sure you need a custom kernel never tried it with a stock kernel but you can flash a kernel without a rom but you have to be rooted to use wireless tether for sure.

*Droid Life*
  3. Droid DOES!!

Droid DOES!! What iDoesn't Theme Developer Premium Member

+1! I don't see why a custom kernel would be necessary. Try it. Worst case, it won't work :)

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App
  4. MagicMiloX

MagicMiloX New Member

I think you fine people just convinced this young cowboy to root away...I would really just like root for wireless tether, titanium backup, shoot me, couple of apps I can't live without. Thanks peeps.
  5. GSXRADDICT

GSXRADDICT New Member

No problem and if you ever decide to try a rom out I would suggest cm7 awesome battery life with the right kernel have fun with root what you thought was an awesome phone can only get better..well as long as you have a backup if it doesn't haha

*Droid Life*
  6. Droid DOES!!

Droid DOES!! What iDoesn't Theme Developer Premium Member

Good luck! And if green doesn't go well with your phone one the Wireless Tether app, let me know ;)

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App
  7. Shiodooru

Shiodooru New Member

If you are using a stock Droid Incredible then all you need is root. It can be a bit strange depending on what version of the Wireless Tether app you use. If you are having issues I can pull my version and send it to you.
  8. Raymondjchin

Raymondjchin New Member

I was also looking to root my phone as well for wireless tether inorder for me to tether the wifi xoom when it comes out.

I am a little worried though that I will mess up my phone when I try to root. Is the steps pretty much

1. use unrevoked 3.21
    2. download wireless tether from market

i've been trying to read as much as I can around rooting the droid once i have 2.2 and how to link it to the xoom. I feel like there is so much out there and everything is slightly different
  9. tweebee

tweebee Incredible RS Premium Member

Yes, you would need to root first before wi-fi tether. Follow this tutorial here to root, http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...ow-root-stock-2-2-using-unrevoked-3-32-a.html.
  10. jf7609

jf7609 New Member

Also check out this guys video on rooting a stock Droid Incredible. Watching this video is what put me over the edge to root my Incredible. Hope it helps!
Search tags for this page

do i have to flash a kernel to access wifi tether on a droid

do you need to root galaxy s4 to tether

does android need to be rooted to tether

needs my droid to be rooted