If I want wireless tether, do I need to root and flash a rom?

MagicMiloX

Reaction score
I'm a couple of weeks in to having my droid inc, and I was going to stay stock, but I'm already starting to get the itch to root. Surprisingly, I like the sense overlay, so my question is, I can't just root and then magically run wireless tether, I'm going to need to flash a rom with a custom kernel, right? Consider me a low intermediate technical user.

Thanks in advance for the noobishness

GSXRADDICT

Reaction score
I am not totally sure you need a custom kernel never tried it with a stock kernel but you can flash a kernel without a rom but you have to be rooted to use wireless tether for sure.

*Droid Life*

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
+1! I don't see why a custom kernel would be necessary. Try it. Worst case, it won't work :)

I am not totally sure you need a custom kernel never tried it with a stock kernel but you can flash a kernel without a rom but you have to be rooted to use wireless tether for sure.

*Droid Life*

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
M

MagicMiloX

Reaction score
I think you fine people just convinced this young cowboy to root away...I would really just like root for wireless tether, titanium backup, shoot me, couple of apps I can't live without. Thanks peeps.

GSXRADDICT

Reaction score
No problem and if you ever decide to try a rom out I would suggest cm7 awesome battery life with the right kernel have fun with root what you thought was an awesome phone can only get better..well as long as you have a backup if it doesn't haha

*Droid Life*

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Good luck! And if green doesn't go well with your phone one the Wireless Tether app, let me know ;)

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Shiodooru

Reaction score
If you are using a stock Droid Incredible then all you need is root. It can be a bit strange depending on what version of the Wireless Tether app you use. If you are having issues I can pull my version and send it to you.

Raymondjchin

Reaction score
I was also looking to root my phone as well for wireless tether inorder for me to tether the wifi xoom when it comes out.

I am a little worried though that I will mess up my phone when I try to root. Is the steps pretty much

1. use unrevoked 3.21
2. download wireless tether from market

i've been trying to read as much as I can around rooting the droid once i have 2.2 and how to link it to the xoom. I feel like there is so much out there and everything is slightly different

tweebee

Incredible RS
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I was also looking to root my phone as well for wireless tether inorder for me to tether the wifi xoom when it comes out.

I am a little worried though that I will mess up my phone when I try to root. Is the steps pretty much

1. use unrevoked 3.21

i've been trying to read as much as I can around rooting the droid once i have 2.2 and how to link it to the xoom. I feel like there is so much out there and everything is slightly different

Yes, you would need to root first before wi-fi tether. Follow this tutorial here to root, http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...ow-root-stock-2-2-using-unrevoked-3-32-a.html.

jf7609

Reaction score

1. use unrevoked 3.21

Also check out this guys video on rooting a stock Droid Incredible. Watching this video is what put me over the edge to root my Incredible. Hope it helps! [video=youtube;dlldu2pvNZU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlldu2pvNZU]YouTube - Rooting with 2.2 HTC Incredible (How to)[/video]