If I reset my OG droid, can I still use via wi-fi?

gadget_guy

Reaction score
My wife finally exchanged her OG moto droid for a Moto Razr. We have been letting our daughter use her old phone (without cell service) as music player and to play games and such

I want to reset, but worry I will be locked out of using phone.
Without Verizon service, can I still setup this phone using my Gmail and get access to marketplace and such?

Phone is a little faster after uninstalling a number of my wife's apps, but I would like to root and factory reset to just start clean and see if the speed improves.
I just want to re-install some of the kid games over wi-fi. Gives her something to keep her busy - play games, watch movies... If we are using our phones.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
yes. and if you root too, you can remove the phone.apk, so the device doesnt search for signal, making the battery last even longer.

OP
gadget_guy

gadget_guy

Reaction score
Thanks. That is good to know.

I was just a little worried there would be some verizon signal needed to finish the inital setup. Off to work on this later this week.dancedroid

OP
gadget_guy

gadget_guy

Reaction score
OK, reset and after some other failed attempts, I was able to root via superoneclick.

I will look to remove (move) the phone.apk and maybe some other stuff.

Now, anyone know what the name of the application that wants to call and activate my phone with Verizon? Each time the phone is powered on I have to click around that process, but that is not a real big problem since it should not be fully powered off that often.

BrUhNiGGs

Reaction score
OK, reset and after some other failed attempts, I was able to root via superoneclick.

I will look to remove (move) the phone.apk and maybe some other stuff.

Now, anyone know what the name of the application that wants to call and activate my phone with Verizon? Each time the phone is powered on I have to click around that process, but that is not a real big problem since it should not be fully powered off that often.

Try deleting SetupWizard.apk in system/app using Root Explorer. Not sure if thats it but its worth a try. :p

Sent from my CushZero using Tapatalk

OP
gadget_guy

gadget_guy

Reaction score
I will try. I did manage to screw something up with Root Explorer the other day. Had removed "onetimesetup.apk" or something like that, and then removed by moving a couple other worthless things to a folder I created on the SD card. That was bad. I was stuck in an endless reboot cycle until I took out the SD card, formatted the card. Now it is working again. Re-installed the games and music I had loaded and all is working now.