If I leave GPS on but don't run GPS apps will it still drain the battery?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by DurangoJim, Jan 12, 2010.

1. DurangoJim

DurangoJim New Member

I'm wondering if I leave the GPS setting on all the time but only don't run maps or other programs that would use GPS often, will it still run down the battery more quickly than if I just have GPS set to off. I searched but couldn't find a direct answer.
  2. phone

phone New Member

From what I understand you can leave GPS on and it won't suck your battery, until an app needs it. I've seen this with the browser and google.com. GPS will pop up when loading the site, when I close the browser GPS stops. Having said that, there's always the chance an app won't work cleanly as expected, and keep GPS running after it closes.
  3. 640k

640k Active Member

you're pretty safe to leave all of your services on and still get decent battery life. gps included. i think gps is probably the most under-utilized service on the phone, which will help to extend your battery life.
  4. 92SHO16

92SHO16 New Member

There a video on youtube all about battery consumption, its an hour long, , there is the link if you interested. But if not i can tell you the talk about using various radios on the device and leaving the gps idle does suck a tiny little bit of power.
  5. 640k

640k Active Member

of course it's going to use SOMETHING... but not nearly as much as when it's on all of the time.

btw if you watch an hour long video on your DROID, you've got more issues to worry about that leaving the GPS on. LOL.
  6. soyboy

soyboy New Member

I leave everything except wifi on all of the time. Doesn't seem to make much difference in battery life.
  7. rocketman45

rocketman45 New Member

The Mobile Defense app website states that it is a myth that leaving GPS on runs down the battery. Of course, to be able to locate your phone if lost Mobile Defense needs for your GPS to be on. I've gone back to leaving GPS on all the time since I have the Mobile Defense app and I must say I haven't noticed any change in battery life which in general has been pretty good.
  8. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

I leave everything on all the time (GPS, Bluetooth, WiFi). I just checked and GPS wasn't even listed as having used battery today (6:00 am to now). My mail program was the lowest program listed and it was 2%. So GPS was less than that. However, I've not used any program today that used GPS.
  9. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Try it and find out. I think you will see that you can leave GPS on and it will not show any battery use unless of course you use it.
  10. RW-1

RW-1 New Member

I know that one of the first updates to Google maps were to fix an issue listed as that the app didn't turn off GPS after it was closed, so I would say that most well coded apps will enable/disable when needed.

I've done it both ways and didn't see a major battle change. My caviat to that is wifi, toggle when needed so it doesn't sit searching all the time.
Search tags for this page
can charging cell phones and gps run battery down
do gps only run on battery
does gps run down battery

does gps run down phone battery

does gps run down the battery on my android phone

does gps run on battery

does gps run s4 battery down

does gps run your phone battery down

does gps still run if app is closed

does gps use on droids run down batteries

does having my gps on run my battery down