If I install the 2.2 update over a rooted phone with a custome ROM

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by jim_stem, Jul 4, 2010.

1. jim_stem

jim_stem Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What happens? I mean, I understand Ill have 2.2 and my phone is no longer rooted. But what, if anything else should I expect?
  2. mentaloaf

mentaloaf Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If you're rooted, with a custom 2.2 ROM I don't think the ota 2.2 update will be an issue for you at all.
  3. jim_stem

jim_stem Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Its actually got a 2.1 ROM on it. Thing is, Im over seas so I sold the phone to my brother who I dont trust to load a 2.2 ROM and just ignore the update when it comes down.

Id just like to ensure that accepting the update isnt going to brick his phone.
  4. mentaloaf

mentaloaf Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm no expert, so you'll have to wait and hear from someone else, but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere on here that once your rooted you don't get the ota rom update pushed to your phone. Either way, if anything he'll lose root....I don't think he'll brick that phone at all
  5. jim_stem

jim_stem Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yea, but I think thats if you have the "do not notify me of new updates" checked. I know hes going to want the update when all his friends get it so Im trying to put him in position to receive it.
  6. Hiroller173

Hiroller173 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Someone else can confirm, but going from rooted 2.0 to 2.1, you'd get the update message, tell it to go ahead and update, and the update was blocked by sprecovery/clockworkmod. Telling it to update stops it from constantly reminding you to update.
  7. jim_stem

jim_stem Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I should tell him to just suck it up and wait until Im home at the end of Aug and Ill flash a sweet over-clocked 2.2 ROM for him. But Im afraid hes too impatient for that.