If I buy an unlocked GSM, will AT&T detect me if I just use wifi?

Lupita71

Reaction score
Sorry if this has already been discussed. It will b my first smartphone, and I want to be sure, as they r a lot more money uncooked... Thank you-Colleen. :)

gthotie5

Reaction score
The only way the will charge you for anything is if you use one of their sim cards.

Sent from my GalaxyNexus using DroidForums

OP
Lupita71

Lupita71

Reaction score
I do have an AT&T sim card (no data plan) that I was going to put into the RAZR....?

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
Wi-Fi is yours, the phone is yours. They can't send you a bill.
Use my old DROIDX around the house on Wi-Fi all the time, TV guide, stuff like that. It will not access anything that would cause Verizon loss of revenue. SIM card still installed, FYI.

my razr won't cut an ice cream sandwich on a hot day

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Wi-Fi is yours, the phone is yours. They can't send you a bill.
Use my old DROIDX around the house on Wi-Fi all the time, TV guide, stuff like that. It will not access anything that would cause Verizon loss of revenue. SIM card still installed, FYI.

The Droid X does not use a SIM card. Also, you don't have it currently activated on an account (or want to have it activated), so the situation is completely different. The OP wants to use a currently activated SIM card that has no data plan in an unlocked smartphone for voice/text and not data. Very different from what you're doing.

Sorry if this has already been discussed. It will b my first smartphone, and I want to be sure, as they r a lot more money uncooked... Thank you-Colleen.

Once you put the SIM card in, AT&T will be able to tell what kind of phone you're using based off the IMEI number. This is particularly the case with newer phones (some older smartphones don't show up as a smartphone in AT&T's system based on the IMEI, but any newer ones will). AT&T is likely to contact you about having to add a data plan. In some cases, AT&T will automatically add a data plan.

Last edited:

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
She has 2 post and in the other one she sounds as if she is trying to cheap out because they raised the plan by 5 buck.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
My bad, for not making post and buck plurals.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
She has 2 post and in the other one she sounds as if she is trying to cheap out because they raised the plan by 5 buck.

Either way, AT&T will know that she's trying to use a smartphone with a non-smartphone plan, and they'll either contact her about adding a data plan, or they'll automatically add one for her and start charging for it.

But yeah, Lupita71, why did you start two threads on the exact same topic? That's against the forum rules and makes it difficult to maintain a constant flow of information from other users who try to help you.

OP
Lupita71

Lupita71

Reaction score
Ahhh, that's what I was afraid of. :(
I had heard about the IMEI number and AT&T being able to possibly detect me.
And there is probably no way to tell which older phones might be detected and which ones might not, huh?
Thanks, bsweetness

OP
Lupita71

Lupita71

Reaction score
Did not know it as against the forum rules. Sorry. I didn't think my "title" was very clear on the first one.

As far as being cheap, I kind of take offense to that. When I upgraded with AT&T I had a choice of about 30 nice phones. Now I've paid them all this money for three years, and I get to choose from about three really crappy phones. It wasnt so much the 5 dollar increase...that was just the straw.

Colleen

jcardona1

Reaction score
I kind of take offense to that.

;)

35oxdj.jpg

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Did not know it as against the forum rules. Sorry. I didn't think my "title" was very clear on the first one.

As far as being cheap, I kind of take offense to that. When I upgraded with AT&T I had a choice of about 30 nice phones. Now I've paid them all this money for three years, and I get to choose from about three really crappy phones. It wasnt so much the 5 dollar increase...that was just the straw.

Colleen

That is because they want people to have the smart phones so they can force them to have a data package. They don't make any money off those older phones, so they limit the choices.