If group messaging(mms) is important you DO NOT want a Moto X

duxdad

Reaction score
My son recently switched from an iPhone to a Moto X.He immediately discovered Group messaging was not working. Messages would come up in different windows. Checking on the Motorola Moto X forum I discovered this is a very common issue. I spent and hour on the phone with Verizon, although helpful no fix. He then called and connected me to Motorola. The Motorola lady told me , yes there is an issue with the Android OS, started with Jellybean and she was not aware of any fix coming. There are several threads on Motorola's Moto X forum.
My last 4 cellphones have been Motorola, and I recommended my son switch from his iPhone to the Moto X. I have a Droid Ultra and my wife an iPhone and neither of us have this problem.
I have tried a third party app, Textra, no help
Phone is being returned to Verizon

OP
D

duxdad

Reaction score
Group messaging

It works using hangouts and go sms.

It may but he wants nothing to do with social media stuff like Google + and associated hangouts. He would like to have the native messenger app work like it does in most phones. I did try Textra with no luck. I have not tried go sms.
What I am most pissed about is Motorola total silence, except the Motorola rep I talked to through Verizon who said yes it's broke and thats that.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
It may but he wants nothing to do with social media stuff like Google + and associated hangouts. He would like to have the native messenger app work like it does in most phones. I did try Textra with no luck. I have not tried go sms.
What I am most pissed about is Motorola total silence, except the Motorola rep I talked to through Verizon who said yes it's broke and thats that.

I am extremely social networking adverse (I HATE IT) and hangouts works fine for me as just an SMS client, and it fixed group messaging.

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ya hangouts can just be used for SMS/MMS without being tangled with Google+

JoeHockey

Reaction score
Textra seems to work fine for me. I don't really use group messages but have a few friends on iPhones that use them all the time and it used to drive me nuts. Switched over to Textra and it now seems to work as it should.

zomnomnombie

Reaction score

-I think they are going to make Hangouts the default messenger app going forward.

-Hangouts can be used as a standalone SMS app.

-The Google+ functionality is not required.

kmf1

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 7 Pro Verizon
When using Hangouts, why would I want to sign in to my Gmail account;

Sent from my Droid Razr Maxx HD using Tapatalk.

b-jammin21

Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand what the issue is here. I have sent lots of group text messages and haven't had a single issue...

tbolted

Reaction score
I finally found the MMS Group Chat setting in Go SMS and now group messaging is working fine. I does also work in Hangouts.

TatDroid

Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand what the issue is here. I have sent lots of group text messages and haven't had a single issue...

The issue is that replies from some recipients (not all) get put into that person's individual text thread, rather than in the group thread. It makes it almost impossible to follow a group conversation.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
-I think they are going to make Hangouts the default messenger app going forward.

-Hangouts can be used as a standalone SMS app.

-The Google+ functionality is not required.

I think the issue the OP has is he is of the belief that the regular text app should work as expected, and it appears that no workaround will be good enough. Not sure you'll ever be satisfied with a piece of technology with that approach since every piece of technology requires a workaround some where to do things you want to do.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score