If Google Is Planning Smartwatches These Could Be Them!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

It has been rumored for a while now that Google is working on their own smartwatches to feature the latest and greatest versions of Android Wear. This would be like the Nexus program for smartwatches if you will. Who better to optimize hardware specs with Android Wear?!

Their is expected to be two Google made smartwatches code named Angelfish and Swordfish. According to rumors we may see these in the fall. A render of the devices has surfaced. It looks like Google will be going with a round watchface. One larger face and one smaller face. The bezel looks reasonable with one device featuring a larger flat bezel while the other device features a smaller rounded bezel. From the images it appears that these devices may not have the moto x "flat tire" syndrome. The strap appears to be rubber. I'd like to see a metal or leather band.

Would you be interested in Google made smartwatches?

Via AndroidPolice

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Whenever Google does release their own smart watches, I will be interested. Looking forward to seeing what the final version looks like and how easy it is to swap bands. I would hope these would come with Mode Bands right from the start, so you could have a rubber band for exercise and a metal or leather band for dressier occasions.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I'm just waiting for the "it's not fair Google updates their watches first" comments.

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
IT'S NOT FAIR!! GOOGLE UPDATES THEIR WATCHES FIRST!
Now you don't have to wait any longer. Oh that's right, you still have to wait for your update.;)
Can I help you with anything else today?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I'm just waiting for the "it's not fair Google updates their watches first" comments.
No....no one would ever say that!

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If AW 2.0 opens up standalone as well as Samsung has done with their Tizen ones BUT with the Android apps to work with vs the lackluster Tizen Store I'll be all over it.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'll have to find that watchface (it's note quite perfect, but close - love the shortcut widgets).

I find the standalone works quite well on my Moto 360. Problem is I find the GPS too inaccurate. Music works great, if not incredibly tempermental to actually get on the watch. Biggest hitch is some apps insist on you being connected to the internet to work, but the phone can indeed be left at home.

I'm really excited about this. And I'll admit, for fitness I would like a little bigger face than the 360 has.

I also think NFC (along with maybe a fingerprint sensor for security) would be really terrific.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I'll have to find that watchface (it's note quite perfect, but close - love the shortcut widgets).

I find the standalone works quite well on my Moto 360. Problem is I find the GPS too inaccurate. Music works great, if not incredibly tempermental to actually get on the watch. Biggest hitch is some apps insist on you being connected to the internet to work, but the phone can indeed be left at home.

I'm really excited about this. And I'll admit, for fitness I would like a little bigger face than the 360 has.

I also think NFC (along with maybe a fingerprint sensor for security) would be really terrific.
That's the Bits watch face. It came with one of the major AW watch updates last year on some watches, it was automatically installed on my G Watch. If it's not already on yours, Bits is available on the Play Store. The picture looks like an enhanced Buts face, but the current one is very close to that.

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
Winning lotto numbers for tonight?

Happy to help. Sorry I didn't get to this sooner though, I know last night would have been a little better. The numbers for yesterday are:
5-15-18-33-37-44 Kicker 540090

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

GPS inaccuracy is something that seems to plague most smartwatches as they've chosen less radio power to minimize the drain on the tiny batteries. My S was more accurate when new but took a huge hit to the battery when being used by itself . With the first firmware update I got last year the connect ability went way down but so did battery drain. An hour of bike riding with S Health mapping my ride used to use about half my battery vs about 20% now.
With the bigger onboard memory and AW2.0 having music on the watch itself ability will become more prevalent in the future and as Android used to need task killers to optimize efficiency I see AW efficiency gains helping in the regard quickly as well. Be it a phone or watch we're just not gonna get those whopping batteries we want but demand long battery life to go with multi tasking and developers are listening and acting.
What I tout over and over as standalone isn't always the phone in a different geographic location as much as the ability to do entire tasks without touching the phone at all, whether using 3g, Wi-Fi or the Bluetooth tether for data as needed. The widgets app I just reviewed is an example. I want to use Power Amp music player or Pandora on the phone but control it from the watch totally. It's much more battery friendly to do that vs using the watch's onboard music player. When checking to see the source of that thunder I just heard it's faster and easier, due to muscle memory, for me to tap the watch than open the phone and open a radar or weather app. Same with a quick note, even though I have quick notes ability on my phone. Make the note, or voice memo, on the watch, sync it to the phone as needed.
Back in the day we used to carry voice recorders, pda and music players. Then Android and iPhones made that obsolete. The future I'm excited about is that marriage of tasks we now enjoy on our phones will be even more convenient. The Neptune project carries things the opposite way, the watch being the workhorse and phone being basically a monitor, much like Splashtop app turned tablets and phones into monitors for our desktops and laptops until the Surface type of device pretty much killed that usage about the same time SP went all greedy and decided $10 a month , per device tethered to, would be their demand.
Only Apple and Google seem to have both the willingness and the cash to push things more in the direction of Neptune project.
As was discussed in another smartwatch thread, it'll be interesting to revisit these threads in a decade just to see where the technology went, be it forward or with the beta max and Bonephones ( a set of headphones that didn't go into the ear but sat on the neck and vibrations moved from the neck to bones in the ears to produce sound.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><