Ideal Video/Movie resolution(s) for Galaxy Nexus

sonnydroid

Reaction score
I use DVD Catalyst too. Been using it since the OG Droid days. Works flawless for the nexus as well.

jasplat88

Reaction score
I'd recommend using DVDFAB as it provides the most flexibility for copying/ripping DVD and Blurays. MKV containers are quickly becoming the industry standard and I personally like using H.264 codec and use "audiocopy" which copies the original audio format of the DVD/Bluray for use in my home theater. Blurays are ~30-40GB each if uncompressed, and as a HT buff, struggle with compressing them down too much which means you need a lot of storage space.

For viewing on the Nexus (or my tablet) however, compressing movies down to ~2GB MP4s makes sense and you won't see a difference - I also change audio to 2Ch stereo. Your target bit/pixel rate should be in the .3-.5 range and I would recommend changing your frame rate to 29.97fps.

soulshot96

Reaction score
Most of mine are 720p to 1080p in mp4 at 23-24 frames per second and they play fine. They also avg around 700mb.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

JTAC

Reaction score
I cannot say. Never ripped from a Blu-Ray before. I just use 720p MKV's (x264).

If you have a 720p movie that is only 700 MB...I think its safe to say...you're not getting the full quality. Now if it was around 1 GB or more. Yeah...definitely better quality and picture/sound.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

movieman999

Reaction score
I've found amazing results ripping from Blu-Rays right from DVD Catalyst, you need the latest version which supports bluray.

As previously stated, anything above 1280x720 is unnecessary, as that's the highest and ideal resolution for the screen. Anything higher is a waste of file size. Same with audio quality, anything above 320 kbps stereo would be a waste unless you're hooking it up to a system. But, typically, that's not the case.

I'm on my phone now, so that's as in depth as I can get. XD

OP
ksaul

ksaul

Reaction score
What program do you use to rip Blu-ray? DvdCatalyst is great for DVDs

Well I don't rip them personally:-x they come from "other sources"..lol

I will do def check out DVD Catalyst, but has anyone heard of or used ImToo programs? I used them for my OG Droid (but I only did it for 2-3 regular DVD movies - not bluray) with good success.

I don't have a lot of movies in mind only 4 or 5 right now and I want to keep the size down because I have a **** TON of phone shot pictures and movies and I dont want to run out of disk space on my phone especially since I cant expand it =\

----------------------------------------

I cannot say. Never ripped from a Blu-Ray before. I just use 720p MKV's (x264).

If you have a 720p movie that is only 700 MB...I think its safe to say...you're not getting the full quality. Now if it was around 1 GB or more. Yeah...definitely better quality and picture/sound.

In the same boat, but all my video files are ATLEAST 2gigs... average is probably 4gigs

OP
ksaul

ksaul

Reaction score
please read my post directly above this one

And can someone post a link to a tutorial or a step by step means of cobverting MKV h.264 movie files to a rich in quality .mp4 for my galaxy nexus(with whatever your favorite and most comfortable program is)? I am assuming it is going to take some time for these conversions from start to finish so the less chances I have of making mistakes and needing to do it over and over the better lol

Thanks in advance!!

(p.s. I use windows 7 ans/or Ubuntu 11.04 so please dont post Mac tutorials)

Vakharn

Reaction score
For a conversion program I'd use handbrake. It's got presets for a lot of devices, and while I'm not certain if it has one for the GN it's a very good free converter with a lot of options including batch conversion and support for most codecs. The batch conversion feature is especially useful since you can set it up to convert an entire TV series and leave it to run overnight.

edit: Download page: HandBrake

OP
ksaul

ksaul

Reaction score
For a conversion program I'd use handbrake. It's got presets for a lot of devices, and while I'm not certain if it has one for the GN it's a very good free converter with a lot of options including batch conversion and support for most codecs. The batch conversion feature is especially useful since you can set it up to convert an entire TV series and leave it to run overnight.

edit: Download page: HandBrake

Do you think the iphone4 present will suffice for a good quality video for the galaxy nexus?

HandBrake's preset for the iPhone 4 is optimized for viewing on its 960x480 display.
https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/BuiltInPresets#iphone4

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
Do you think the iphone4 present will suffice for a good quality video for the galaxy nexus?

https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/BuiltInPresets#iphone4

I wouldn't use that preset. 960x480 isn't 16:9 and will distort movies or put black bars on them.

Ideally you want the video to be 16:9. This isn't always going to happen, especially once you get into DVD or standard definition sourced material. I personally plan to keep everything in it's native resolution, unless it is over 1280x720. Since the phone can play 720p fine, I see no need to drop it down below it unless the source is lower than it to begin with. Since you seem to want to save space though, you probably could drop it down below 720p and still be fine. Try and keep the aspect ratio the same if you do this, or the video will be distorted.

I am not familiar with handbrake. So I can't really answer your question properly, sorry.

OP
ksaul

ksaul

Reaction score
I ended up with DVD Catalyst 4, and it has multiple presents for the Galaxy Nexus (standard dvd, action/racing HD/BluRay, standard HD/BluRay) and the conversion process didnt even take that long for 4 movies of 4gigs each.. I am transfering them over to the phone now to see how the look and audio sync is.

Snow02

Reaction score
I ended up with DVD Catalyst 4, and it has multiple presents for the Galaxy Nexus (standard dvd, action/racing HD/BluRay, standard HD/BluRay) and the conversion process didnt even take that long for 4 movies of 4gigs each.. I am transfering them over to the phone now to see how the look and audio sync is.

Sweet. Let us know.

cupfulloflol

Reaction score

Yeah conversion shouldn't take that long, especially if you have a decent PC.