Ideal Video Format?

Stigy

Reaction score
what would be a great video converter for the droid...i know of a couple but im wondering which is the preffered

I use Handbrake for all video conversions and its pretty fast and does everything I need to do.

I am going to be using it for my Droid conversions.

guyu

Reaction score
I heard that you set only the height box under picture settings on handbrake. I will let you know when it is done. set to 480

sethmo

Reaction score
I encoded some short clips with Super(mentioned earlier) off of Vimeo @ 800x480, 29.97fps, 1200bitrate, and 128kbps for audio and they turned out great. I also did some with the PSP settings which was 480xsomething and I noticed a quality loss(obviously). But between the 800x480 and the 480x? files, the 800x480px was only 1mb or so bigger(10mb vs 11mb for a 3min video).

Currently encoding a full movie with the same settings.

guyu

Reaction score
I finally got audio working but my video still does not work i am trying to leave out the width hoping that will help

Got the audio working on one file and then the thumbnail works for another and it tries to load but says "sorry this video can not be played" wtf... i put in the same setting as up top

Last edited:

sethmo

Reaction score
I just encoded a full movie with these settings. No audio issues, video looks and plays great! Original video was 719mb 624x352, after encoding to MP4, it was resized to 838mb @ 800x480(Didn't realize the original was smaller haha).

guyu said:
hi what program do you use to encode? I was trying handbrake
I tried Handbrake but it got an error encoding after 2 seconds and the encoded movie size was always 24kb, couldn't figure it out.

So I switched to Super.
SUPER videos
(Scroll down all the way and click 'Download Super Setup File')

Here are the settings I used last that worked for both audio and video. You can change the res to whatever you want, but I didn't think it affected the file size enough to downsize from 800x480.
super.jpg

rushmore

Reaction score
Does Droid scale 480X320 standard iPhone res files to fit the screen (keeping correct aspect of course)?

Also, you can use H264 option and vids will look better, less blockies at lower bit rates than without.

guyu

Reaction score
A very big thanks to Sethmo for posting that screen shot.

His setting worked:
Mp4 - Mpeg-4
Audio: AAC LC
Resolution: 800x480
Aspect: 16:9
Fps: 29.97
Sampling: 24k
Channels: 2
Bitrate: 128kbps

Super was free and faster than handbrake and also the video worked. WMV file was used.

JTAC

Reaction score
I was messing around with Hand Brake the other day and managed to get Terminator Salvation (DVD Quality) on my phone....took lots of playing around but the main thing is to set it up with only "480" in the width box. I would continue to use Hand Brake to convert all of my torrents and DVD's but lately when I try to convert a DVD I get an error saying the disc is a protected format; anyone know a work around for this?

In the meantime I will continue to use Format Factory, pretty darn good freeware program for converting all types of video.

Does anyone ever use the "encode 2 pass" option in their converters?

Last edited:

JTAC

Reaction score
Not finding it. Are you referring to Aigo Converter?

netboy47

Reaction score
I was messing around with Hand Brake the other day and managed to get Terminator Salvation (DVD Quality) on my phone....took lots of playing around but the main thing is to set it up with only "480" in the width box. I would continue to use Hand Brake to convert all of my torrents and DVD's but lately when I try to convert a DVD I get an error saying the disc is a protected format; anyone know a work around for this?

SlySoft AnyDVD removes all protections from DVDs. It's not cheap (about 39 euros for two years), but I've never run across a DVD that it can't unlock (close to 1000 movies & TV shows so far).

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
i used that SUPER converter its great but the quality isnt as good as it was on the original video :mad:

sprke81

Reaction score
How do I get rid of the horizontal black bars on video playback on my Droid? Does it have to be a specific resolution?

Last edited: