id Software coming to Android?

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
idsoftware_gamasutra.gif

Anybody who has played a computer game in the last 19 years should know who id software is. For those of you who don’t, they are the studio behind such landmark games as Doom, Quake, and Wolfenstein. A posting at gamasutra.com reveals the company is currently looking for game programmers to help develop mobile games for the Android platform. If the demo of their game “Rage” running on the iPhone is any indication of what we can expect from them on Android, then this is something to be very excited about.

[video=youtube;yAZO0zjP40Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAZO0zjP40Q]YouTube - id Unleashes Impressive Rage On The iPhone[/video]​

Source: MetalHead, id Software to develop for Android? - Sprint Android Forum

REMilk

Reaction score
I love their Commander Keen games. Still play them in a DOS window under Windows XP and 7. I hope these are ported over.

OP
danDroid

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I can still remember playing Wolf3D viewing through the smallest window size because my first computer was barely fast enough to play it :)

Droidfish

Reaction score
Wolfenstein, because I would eat dog food for the chance to kill nazis:)

Sent from my Castle Wolfenstein using Tapatalk

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Wolfenstein, because I would eat dog food for the chance to kill nazis:)

Sent from my Castle Wolfenstein using Tapatalk
I remember when Wolfenstein3D was ported to the Mac.

Good times. Good times...

And your Tapatalk is now awesome. :D

rcjames

Reaction score
Damn not so long ago i playd wolfenstien 3d couple months ago. I still play quake series games too. Man i cant wait for id to support android operating system. I already have q3 in my droid x.

MichaelW

Reaction score
Mein Leiben!

Seriously I have no idea what you guys are talking about! LOL

Although I have been known to play Doom in DosBox as long ago as last night. It's pretty cool that you can now download these old dos games for free. Got the whole Doom series a year ago and funny how the maps come back fast from dusty old memory.

Yeah my Droid will sport some ID software. dancedroid

WVOz1970

Reaction score
Wolfenstein... that was a lot of fun on Apple... An Apple IIe!

Am I dating myself with that statement? LOL!

HALT! Kommen Sie! Ausweis... Sent via Tapatalk.

Beardface

Reaction score
Pretty cool... Had Wolf3d and Doom on my iPod Touch before basically ignored it after getting my Droid

Now if they can only port a game like Descent using the accelerometer of the phone... Yeah, that would be awesome

chtorr281

Reaction score
I have Doom Resurrection and Doom 2 RPG for my iPod Touch, and they're both great games which would be nice to have on Android. Especially Doom Resurrection which is one of the prettiest mobile games ever made. Hopefully they'll port these along with some newer games.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I love their Commander Keen games. Still play them in a DOS window under Windows XP and 7. I hope these are ported over.

Agreed. I love the Commander Keen games.

At least with Android, you can look forward to some kind of bluetooth controllers you can put your phone in/on and not have to use on screen virtual controls. At least I hope so.