Ics

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by dolpns13, Aug 28, 2012.

1. dolpns13

dolpns13 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just got the ICS update and I have to say it's absolutely horrible. Has anyone else experienced problems?

This is what I'm experiencing with ICS that I didn't experience with Gingerbread:

1. Navigation no longer works. Every time I use navigation now my phone restarts.

2. I use Dolphin Browser but both Dolphin and default browsers pages take twice as long to load now and sometimes are pixelated so I then have to refresh.

3. Embedded videos - Where I could forward and advanced a video to the middle and it would play immediately, I am no longer able to do this. Now when I advance into the middle of a video, the video turns black until it loads to the point Where I want it , then plays when the buffering is done.

4. Handcent - With GB if I read a text by pulling down the notification bar, and tapping and opening the text, Handcent would mark it as read. Now with ICS, if I do this same thing, the message doesn't get marked as read. I have to manually go into the text via the homescreen, and tap the message itself.

5. The homescreen launcher is faster, but definitely not as fluid.

So has anyone else experienced similar issues? So far for me ICS is garbage. Is there a way to go back to Gingerbread?

2. joshxdroid

joshxdroid Senior Member

Ratings:
    +56
    What phone? RAZR? Do an FDR to start. Most ics problems can be cleared up that way. There is an ics discussion thread in the RAZR section of this forum as well

3. dolpns13

dolpns13 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It's a Rezound. What's FDR? Factory reset? I'd rather not do a factory reset.

4. joshxdroid

joshxdroid Senior Member

Ratings:
    +56
    I know a factory reset its a pain, but it's very worth it. I won't be as much help cause i only have experience with ics on RAZR. But i still think the fdr is essential. Also, apps that aren't working like dolphin you should uninstall and reinstall

5. Xander Crews

Xander Crews Active Member

Ratings:
    +27
    This is a bug. You can uninstall updates for Google Maps until it is resolved, that will take it back to a working version. HTC and Google are working on a solution.

Do a factory reset. It will be quicker than trying to figure out all of the issues.
    I am not having any issues whatsoever with ICS.

• Like Like x 1
  6. bsweetness

bsweetness Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +754
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    As Xander pointed out, the navigation issue is a known bug (here's an ongoing thread about it - Do not install maps update on your rezound). As for the rest, a factory reset will probably go a long way in correcting them. As much of a pain as a reset can be, it's often necessary after a major update like this.

7. Xander Crews

Xander Crews Active Member

Ratings:
    +27
    Why not? It will be well worth it. You say your phone is pretty much unusable. A factory reset should fix your issues.
    Back up everything and you can restore it after the factory reset is done.

8. dolpns13

dolpns13 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Eh, it's just a pain to go through all that again but I'll give it a try when I get home. As for the maps I uninstalled the updates (Wow I can't believe how old the original maps looks).

I assume Google is working on this fix.

9. dolpns13

dolpns13 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    How do I do a factory reset? Should I take out my SD card before I do it?

10. joshxdroid

joshxdroid Senior Member

Ratings:
    +56
    Menu/system settings/privacy/factory data reset. You can take the sd card out just to be safe, but you shouldn't have to. Also you might want to make sure all your pictures, videos and music files are moved to the sd card from internal memory. You can do that from system settings/storage/manage internal storage

11. dolpns13

dolpns13 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. I didnt se the "manage internal storage" but I just used it as a disk drive and moved everything to my SD Card from my laptop.

12. dolpns13

dolpns13 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ive never done a factory reset myself but I did look at the Verizon support website and it says a factory reset will erase the google account, and all system data. What does this mean? Does this mean ill have to go through the same initial set-up that I went through when I first purchased the phone?