ICS Update for Motorola Droid 4 is Now Pushing Out

ikari

Reaction score
(other than restoring any bloatware you may have removed; according to some, you may be able to keep it "frozen").
That seems to be my problem. I've removed stock Swype and installed a Polish (Poland's where I come from :D) Swype Beta, so I could actually use it. Damn.
Just tried to restore /system from safestrap backup, hope this will help.

EastPhilly

Reaction score
So I have all the right files in my system folder as seen in the Droid 4 Dump in these forums (I actually have more files than the dump shows for the system folder???). I never flashed or installed safestrap. Only rooted and installed root apps and such, but the installation still fails. I thawed all frozen apps (via ROM Toolbox) and made sure everything was good, but still no go. SU is up to date. I did a temp unroot through SU and will try update again. Any suggestions if that doesn't work?

edit: also, after I had to give signal to my old phone to do a reset I re-enabled my D4 and now the backup assistant+ keeps saying it fails. Maybe that has something to do with it? I don't know why it fails. I didn't change anything and it worked before I reset the phone. All I did was have to reactivate the D$ and SIM card after I activated my D2 to get it to work.

Last edited:

cron666

Reaction score
So I have all the right files in my system folder as seen in the Droid 4 Dump in these forums (I actually have more files than the dump shows for the system folder???). I never flashed or installed safestrap. Only rooted and installed root apps and such, but the installation still fails. I thawed all frozen apps (via ROM Toolbox) and made sure everything was good, but still no go. SU is up to date. I did a temp unroot through SU and will try update again. Any suggestions if that doesn't work?

what system files are you talking about? you shouldnt have to move any files or anything.
you should just be able to use voodoo before and after you get the update.
first, protect root, temp unroot, then restore root.
let the update flash,
then restore root again and it should be good.

anyone done it differently?

EastPhilly

Reaction score
Extra system files were because there was no 6.13.219 dump when I deleted files instead of freezing. So I reinstalled files found on on the previous version. I guess some of the files may need to be updated, but I don't know which. I haven't done any ROM installs on the D4 (not sure how... it was easy on the D2) so unless I can figure it out I may need (easy) directions on flashing the ICS update.

edit: Updated SU. The installation gets about 1/5th through then the package icon turns into an exclamation point and it restarts to regular boot.

How would I Protect Root?

Last edited:

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
Don't worry about protecting root, you can always get it back using the ICS Root Tool. Just RSDLite 219or ICS.