ICS update causing my signal to drop now!

Olivia

Reaction score
Before ice update I had no signal issues at work. I used to get 4 bars, now I only get 2. I know some people are saying it just displays the bare more accurately but I know that's not true because on my lunch break at work I would always watch Netflix on my phone with no issues. Now that the signal has dropped between 2 to 3 bars the video is grainy and pi elated. It is unwatchable. I am very upset over this.

I even changed my network settings from global to Lte/cdma and no better. By the way why can I just not choose 3g signal anymore? That's what I always had it set to at work. Really angry about all of this!

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
ICS took away the 3G only mode from that normal menu.

You can dial in to *#*#4636#*#*

From there you can scroll down to network and change it to CDMA auto (prl), that will be 3G only. That is probably why you are having with NetFlix because you have a weak 4G signal where you are and before you were using 3G. Can't compare the two.

OP
Olivia

Olivia

Reaction score
So I actually dial that using my phone?

Okay I dialed it and it worked. Thanks!

Last edited:

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Sorry you have to click on Phone Information first, forgot that step.

Scroll down to Set Preferred Network Type

Choose CDMA auto (PRL).

Xfactorx316

Reaction score
Or you can download LTE on/off. There is a selection in there to only have 3g on.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Or you can download LTE on/off. There is a selection in there to only have 3g on.

Yes you can use this too, will get you to the same spot.

Just seemed pointless to me, I can dial into that code fast enough to where an APP to take me there didn't appear useful. But it is indeed an option if you don't want to use that code on the dailer everytime.

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
ICS took away the 3G only mode from that normal menu.

You can dial in to *#*#4636#*#*

From there you can scroll down to network and change it to CDMA auto (prl), that will be 3G only. That is probably why you are having with NetFlix because you have a weak 4G signal where you are and before you were using 3G. Can't compare the two.

I did not know this ... :hail:

So can I go back to 4G at any time just like in LTE On/Off?

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I did not know this ... :hail:

So can I go back to 4G at any time just like in LTE On/Off?

Yeah that LTE On/Off is just a shortcut to get you to the same menu dialing in from the dialer does. I just do the dial code everytime.

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yeah that LTE On/Off is just a shortcut to get you to the same menu dialing in from the dialer does. I just do the dial code everytime.

Ok does this stick after a reboot? The only thing I don't like about LTE On/Off is I have to set it to PRL again after a reboot.

And I'm thinking maybe set up a contact with that number, and just dial it up when I want to go back to 4G? Would that work?

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I just tried it ... no it still doesn't stick after a reboot. And it can't be set as a contact because I assumed I had to hit send but it took me right to the menu. Oh well. No biggie. But thanks for the info Sydman!

Xfactorx316

Reaction score

I hear ya, i'm on the opposite end where I like to just push two buttons and done lol (okay I guess it is still 3-4 ). I just wanted to throw out another option besides the dialer.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I just tried it ... no it still doesn't stick after a reboot. And it can't be set as a contact because I assumed I had to hit send but it took me right to the menu. Oh well. No biggie. But thanks for the info Sydman!

No problem. Weird thing is mine phone setting stays now since the .215 update, after a reboot or hard reset.

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
No problem. Weird thing is mine phone setting stays now since the .215 update, after a reboot or hard reset.

I'm also on .215, but it never sticks. In System Settings > More > Preferred Network I changed it from Global to LTE/CDMA ... but it never has stuck after a reboot. And I just did a complete Factory Data Reset the other night with a cache and data wipe too

Oh well, just one of them thangs LOL :)