ICS this week?

ricks

Reaction score
I like the stock ICS launcher myself, though I haven't used Go Launcher because the icons aren't my style. I want a launcher with more customization like icon packs and colors. I know Go Launcher is fairly open to customization just not the parts I want to change.

<--{Droid Razr Maxx °Celcius}-->
They have a lot of icon packs.

DroidMomof9

Reaction score
I have been using Go for awhile now.... and there are a ton of icon / theme packs.....

If ICS launcher has icon packs.... where do you get them?

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I have been using Go for awhile now.... and there are a ton of icon / theme packs.....

If ICS launcher has icon packs.... where do you get them?

You can't get icon packs for the stock launcher. Motorola didn't design it to have interchangeable icons. The only way to change the stock icons would involve rooting.

FastKatt

Reaction score
If you are looking for a replacement launcher, check out Apex Launcher!
I'm lovin' it!

Sent from my Eclipsed RazrMaxx!

Swis21

Reaction score
Since ics I've noticed battery life has taken a toll. Any apps that help save battery would be nice. Any ideas?

Squeak87

Reaction score
FastKatt said:
If you are looking for a replacement launcher, check out Apex Launcher!
I'm lovin' it!

Sent from my Eclipsed RazrMaxx!

Does the Apex Launcher have the customization features that Go Launcher has? And are most of the Go Launcher add-ons free or paid?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Squeak87 said:
Does the Apex Launcher have the customization features that Go Launcher has? And are most of the Go Launcher add-ons free or paid?

The apex launcher is great imho. But it does not have nearly the themes that go has and you cannot create folders in the app drawer (you can on the home screens). After using go for years, it is the only feature I miss so far. I didn't use themes much in go, though because I use my own wallpaper, widgets & simple text app labels.

View attachment 52723

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums

lovemyram4x4

Reaction score
I've also made the move from go to apex launcher. The only thing I've missed was a couple of the transitions go had that apex doesn't (yet).

I found apex seems to run better on the ICS update than go did, never gets laggie & transitions are always smooth.

Apex also seems to support more customization. Up to 10 rows/columns which can be set differently between portrait & landscape, which makes it so you can keep your Widgets from stretching out & have rows/columns of icons/Widgets that only show in one rotation. Multi touch gestures. Minimum scrolling(transition) speed. More dock settings, etc.

I also like how with apex you can just flick through pages(only needs a quick short swipe) & it uses stock looking menus. It also supports default auto-rotation so your home screens only rotate when docked.

Apex does support themes for Go, ADW & Apex, but most of the non-Apex specific themes will only give icons, fonts & wall paper.

1339708296469.jpg

Last edited:

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Finally installed a 3rd party launcher...

Soon after I upgraded it...

Running APEX PRO....
reminds me of launcher pro back on my D1....

----posted MAXXED OUT WITH dessert----

holligl

Reaction score
Since ics I've noticed battery life has taken a toll. Any apps that help save battery would be nice. Any ideas?
Checkout the built in battery monitor. Settings/Battery. It will detail where the drain is coming from. You probably have an AP or two open that you can close from the battery monitor. I had the MAP AP drawing ~10% yesterday. Blue tooth and WiFi can be easily controlled with the built in Power Control Widget. I went 12 hours with 50% yesterday even with some wasted on that. Use what you need and shut down what you don't. The Data monitor provides similar insight to the data usage by each ap.

helron

Reaction score
My biggest battery drain is 4G. So, I use LTE ON OFF app. It allows me to switch to 3G.
Also: run phone with less brightness when possible.
Display off in 2 min
Try to stop or close all apps not needing.
Check running apps and close.
I love Razr SMARTACTIONS, especially theBattery saver for night. Go to Moto,or google smartactions to find or create choices that fit your use. I found that battery saver monitors or apps drained my battery,which is whymI,LUV Mototola /mart actions app pre.loaded on phone.
Good luck!

joshxdroid

Reaction score
helron said:
My biggest battery drain is 4G. So, I use LTE ON OFF app. It allows me to switch to 3G.
Also: run phone with less brightness when possible.
Display off in 2 min
Try to stop or close all apps not needing.
Check running apps and close.
I love Razr SMARTACTIONS, especially theBattery saver for night. Go to Moto,or google smartactions to find or create choices that fit your use. I found that battery saver monitors or apps drained my battery,which is whymI,LUV Mototola /mart actions app pre.loaded on phone.
Good luck!

Is 4g really your biggest drain? I have assumed that everyones screen Is their biggest drain. I used to set my screen on auto brightness and when i check my battery usage it would have used 80 -85% now i set it on 25% brightness unless I'm in the sunlight i switch to auto. And have reduced that to 70 - 75%

lovemyram4x4

Reaction score
The other day 4g somehow got turned on(maybe due to the removal of in pocket protection). Normally with screen on I'd lose just over 10% per hour(slightly more than on GB). With my screen on for only 2min & 4g on for unknown time(probably since I put it in my pocket after removing g from dock) I lost about 15% in 1hr. Odd thing is battery stats showed screen using 85% & nothing about 4g/data. Normally screen will only use 85% if it was on during most of the time & I was in brighter ambient lighting(I use LUX to control screen brightness) & closer to 40% for light-moderate use. I'm really not sure what happened but it kind if seems like 4g was thrown into screen usage.

Even on days that I didn't have something on to cause high battery drain like 4g and little to no on-screen time, ie 5hr on battery, screen on 15min but used around 50% of the 50% of battery drain(these stats are just made up but are similar to what I've seen). Numbers like that just don't make sense when on days with heavier usage I'd get something like 3hr on battery with 2hr on screen using 60% of the 25% battery drained.

I wish would have checked my battery stats the other day when I was at a customer's shop & after only 5min there data had heated my Razr up to 120F and drained around 5% of the current charge(level after removing from car dock). IIRC ICS doesn't reset battery stats until you reach 100% charge so with several car docks(screen on 100% of the time) & moderate use in between docks I don't think they really show much for that short time frame. I'll have to remember the next time I need to go to this customer to show up with a full charge & see what happens.

1339708296469.jpg

Swis21

Reaction score
joshxdroid said:
Is 4g really your biggest drain? I have assumed that everyones screen Is their biggest drain. I used to set my screen on auto brightness and when i check my battery usage it would have used 80 -85% now i set it on 25% brightness unless I'm in the sunlight i switch to auto. And have reduced that to 70 - 75%

I would like to say it seems the screen is using more. Mine is always over 70% now and it was almost never about 50 before ics. Software change gave the screen an extra boost of brightness?