ICS this week?

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Help! Pretty Please...

Well I pulled the OTA early this morning. Everything was going well, but then it froze on adding Apps (if I remember correctly). Waited like an hour. nothing changed. I restarted the phone and up comes ICS. I think everything seemed fine except green android instead of proper icons for certain software and Facebook, my music, WinAmp all go to blank screen and freeze or stay stuck with spinning sync icon. I am guessing something went wrong late in the OTA process. Is there anyway to reload the OTA? Any other suggestions suggestions?

Even though it looked like the phone was frozen while updating, it wasn't. My phone did the same thing while updating, but I resisted the temptation to do anything to it. It took a bit longer than an hour, but it eventually finished. I've seen several reports of this, but for those that left their phone alone, it eventually finished the process. Since you forced a reboot before the update was completely finished, I would say brad92 is correct. You'll need to do a factory reset. Sure it's a pain to install everything again, but a factory reset is always a very good idea with a new update (especially a major one like this).

eddiekeyton

Banned
Reaction score
Twitter
eddiekeyton
My friend in cincinnati ohio just got the ota push. Im in jackson michigan because i got a cagefight tonight and a few of the fighters just got updates on ther razr as well. To be exact...3 of them at the same time

"Warning: You cant shave with your RAZR. I tried!!"

WestOkid

Reaction score
Even though it looked like the phone was frozen while updating, it wasn't. My phone did the same thing while updating, but I resisted the temptation to do anything to it. It took a bit longer than an hour, but it eventually finished. I've seen several reports of this, but for those that left their phone alone, it eventually finished the process. Since you forced a reboot before the update was completely finished, I would say brad92 is correct. You'll need to do a factory reset. Sure it's a pain to install everything again, but a factory reset is always a very good idea with a new update (especially a major one like this).
Thanks. But it sucks all the same. It's just everyone was saying 1/2 hour start to finish. Some people were saying 20 minutes. I couldn't believe taking over an hour on one task was legit. I guess I will be spending the rest of the day installing software and looking for passwords.

padawan0620

Reaction score
Appreciate the information about doing the factory reset. Did that then was able to install ICS. Now for the fun of seeing what it can do on my Maxx. :hail:

jch81

Reaction score
is there any way to auto end apps on ICS like you could in task manager on GB???

Thanks in advance

Bipo1arBe4r

Reaction score
Try the 4g toggle for the thunderbolt that's what i was hearing works now haven't tried it myself but worth a shot

Bipo1arBe4r

Reaction score
So i have heard the 4g toggle for the thunderbolt works now haven't tried it yet but worth a shot

Bipo1arBe4r

Reaction score
Took a bit to get used to ics but i loved it when i got it now playing with it a few days i would not go back too gb, with that said the wait far exceeded how awesome it is(its still awesome btw) but score one for google imho but should never have taken Motorola and big red this long

WestOkid

Reaction score
Took a bit to get used to ics but i loved it when i got it now playing with it a few days i would not go back too gb, with that said the wait far exceeded how awesome it is(its still awesome btw) but score one for google imho but should never have taken Motorola and big red this long
Anybody think Moto was trying to milk GB until new ICS phones became available? This way the guys that had GB feel like they have a new phone and won't think about others for awhile. Also, people in the market for new phone may not view the RAZR as obsolete. Just seems strange that working leaks have been out since February and Moto can't get it working until HTC, Samsung, and others release stock ICS phones.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Anybody think Moto was trying to milk GB until new ICS phones became available? This way the guys that had GB feel like they have a new phone and won't think about others for awhile. Also, people in the market for new phone may not view the RAZR as obsolete. Just seems strange that working leaks have been out since February and Moto can't get it working until HTC, Samsung, and others release stock ICS phones.

There are many differences between releasing a brand new phone that comes with ICS and upgrading an existing phone that's on Gingerbread to ICS. There are a lot of existing features and potential issues that have to be addressed in building an upgrade versus starting with the new OS fresh. So, it makes sense that phones that ship with ICS would start to emerge before many ICS updates start getting pushed out. But of course Motorola wants to be able to compete with the high-end phones from HTC and Samsung, so they definitely wanted their flagship phones (which are still the RAZR/MAXX at the moment) to be as up to date as possible.