ics still using a lot of battery life on screen

Reaction score
It's probably because ICS is more efficient than GB. My screen % has also gone up, but my Android OS has gone down significantly. Since it always has to total to 100% it makes sense that the screen percentage would increase if other processes decrease.

NeverdelSol

Reaction score
It's probably because ICS is more efficient than GB. My screen % has also gone up, but my Android OS has gone down significantly. Since it always has to total to 100% it makes sense that the screen percentage would increase if other processes decrease.
Funny, I actually thought about that as I walked away from the computer to the bedroom. I told my wife about it, and said I was going to hop back on here and say it.

Beat me to it. :hail:

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Funny, I actually thought about that as I walked away from the computer to the bedroom. I told my wife about it, and said I was going to hop back on here and say it.

Beat me to it. :hail:

I was the first to the finish line! :biggrin:

Keep in mind that what your usage statistics are telling you is that the screen has accounted for 53% of the 70% of the battery that has been used. That means the screen has used approximately 37% of the total fully charged capacity of the battery at the point that screenshot was taken. That's not too far off from what others have reported in the past when taking into account the percentage of battery used and the screen-on time.

I've noticed since upgrading to ICS that the battery stats show the screen as using a higher percentage of the battery than was reported in Gingerbread. To me, if the ICS system itself is more efficient, an increase in the reported battery use of the screen makes sense since the screen will still draw the same amount of power as it did before (because there hasn't been any hardware changes to the screen or how the screen operates), while most system processes will draw less. With ICS, I haven't experienced any noticeable decrease in battery life, and I'm still getting pretty much the same amount of screen-on time as I was with Gingerbread. And of course, as has already been stated, the screen will always be the biggest drain on the battery unless you're using the phone for an extremely long period of time with the screen off.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I've noticed since upgrading to ICS that the battery stats show the screen as using a higher percentage of the battery than was reported in Gingerbread. To me, if the ICS system itself is more efficient, an increase in the reported battery use of the screen makes sense since the screen will still draw the same amount of power as it did before (because there hasn't been any hardware changes to the screen or how the screen operates), while most system processes will draw less. With ICS, I haven't experienced any noticeable decrease in battery life, and I'm still getting pretty much the same amount of screen-on time as I was with Gingerbread. And of course, as has already been stated, the screen will always be the biggest drain on the battery unless you're using the phone for an extremely long period of time with the screen off.

I'll buy that for a dollar!

xtor

Reaction score
R3DBAND said:
No but I switched off 4g today and was surprised with the huge battery gain, i'll need to do that from now on.

You know what kills me?, We bought 4g phone's that we have to leave on 3g because of battery consumption, and the fix was to make a razr with a bigger battery(maxx), how about moto sending us razr owners a maxx battery and rear cover to fix our razr's, size does matter

point of origin

Last edited:

jtc303

Reaction score
You know what kills me?, We bought 4g phone's that we have to leave on 3g because of battery consumption, and the fix was to make a razr with a bigger battery(maxx), how about moto sending us razr owners a maxx battery and rear cover to fix our razr's, size does matter

point of origin
Yea.. that solution isn't cool with me.. Im paying for 4G, Im not turning it off for battery gain... I get at least a days worth of battery... I guess you can't really complain... with moderate use, easily 2 days

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I can't get 4G inside my apartment because it's a concrete bunker, so I toggle it with LTE On/Off and that has given me significant gains in battery life. I would have to go outside to get a 4G signal anyway. :)

brucewayne

Reaction score
Hi All,

Hope Fox replies to this query.... Recently i see my Razr maxx using wi-fi non stop. Even though i'm not using internet. Backgroud data is turned off and so is sync. Don't know what is eating up the battery ? Kindly someone suggest...

Thanks in advance.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Hi All,

Hope Fox replies to this query.... Recently i see my Razr maxx using wi-fi non stop. Even though i'm not using internet. Backgroud data is turned off and so is sync. Don't know what is eating up the battery ? Kindly someone suggest...

Thanks in advance.

Brucewayne, first let me say welcome to the forums. Not sure if this is your situation but if your wifi is on, even though you may not be using it to go on the internet or syncing data, it still uses battery and keeps your phone in an "active" state just by being on. And if you have wifi on, when you are not where you can connect to wifi, your phone will use a lot of battery (tons and also can get hot) just because it is desperately trying to search and connect to a wifi signal. The best thing to do is either set up smart actions to disable wifi when your screen is off and when you are away from where you usually connect to wifi or to add a power toggle widget to your homescreen to easily toggle wifi off when you are not using it. The same holds true for 4g/3g being on. Hope this helps.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Welcome aboard brucewayne, that^^^^ just about covers it... :) turn off the Wi-Fi when you're not using it.

Are you using smart actions battery extender?? What's your screen brightness, wall paper, screen on time, and signal like?