ics still using a lot of battery life on screen

ddfuji

Reaction score
One of my biggest complaints with the ice leaks was when I went into the battery Info to see what apps were using how much battery. the screen was always at top with a percentage always greater then 40. It was like that with .84 so when I went to the newer ics leak I though this problem might have been fixed/ improved on. But no, same problem. So now with the new official ics release I thought they really would have fixed it since this is the official version that millions will be on. But as it turns out it is the exact same. I'm posting screen shots of the official ics. I addressed this problem on xda with the earlier versions of ics but I thought it was because it was the unofficial versions.

View attachment 51662

Its just unbelievable how much battery is being used. I also thought that maybe ics is so battery efficient, but if that was true my battery life wouldn't be so bad. On gb i was getting about 12-17 hours. On ics I get about 11-15. 50% of the battery being used on screen that is on only about a fifth of the time the phone is on is crazy. Maybe this is a way to get the regular droid razr users to upgrade to the Maxx :p

View attachment 51663

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
What is your brightness at? With is only being off battery 5 hours and screen on 1 of those to be down to 33% left seems like a lot.

OP
ddfuji

ddfuji

Reaction score
Forgot to add that. I keep my screen 15 to 30%

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Man that is crazy, not sure what could be causing that. I have had my screen on time be up in the 3-4 hours and still be over 50% battery left.

OP
ddfuji

ddfuji

Reaction score
And I've had two razrs on ics so I don't think it is the phone. Both phones have done this

R3DBAND

Reaction score
My screen also takes up most of my battery life but I still get pretty good battery life, I would say normal. How long do you use your RAZR at a time? View attachment 51677

OP
ddfuji

ddfuji

Reaction score
Normal day about 13 hours. On gb I normally got at least 15

boom. headshot

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Moving to ICS subsection

neoterixx64

Reaction score
Are you on 4G, 3G, WiFI?

The screen is always going to be the highest on battery consumption.

Caesars

Reaction score
I have seen MANY reports about the same issue :-(. One theme that seems common is the auto brightness is reportedly far too high in moderate light conditions, people are saying its automatically going to th max brightness inside under normal lighting....hope this and the 4g only bug is fixed prior to launch or normal razr users are going to be pissed :-(

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
For what it is worth, I installed ICS today and I am seeing the same thing. Screen is at the top of battery life with 79% on 5h unplugged and at 70% discharging. And I have my brightness pretty low as well, so at least you are not alone.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Keep in mind that what your usage statistics are telling you is that the screen has accounted for 53% of the 70% of the battery that has been used. That means the screen has used approximately 37% of the total fully charged capacity of the battery at the point that screenshot was taken. That's not too far off from what others have reported in the past when taking into account the percentage of battery used and the screen-on time.

I've noticed since upgrading to ICS that the battery stats show the screen as using a higher percentage of the battery than was reported in Gingerbread. To me, if the ICS system itself is more efficient, an increase in the reported battery use of the screen makes sense since the screen will still draw the same amount of power as it did before (because there hasn't been any hardware changes to the screen or how the screen operates), while most system processes will draw less. With ICS, I haven't experienced any noticeable decrease in battery life, and I'm still getting pretty much the same amount of screen-on time as I was with Gingerbread. And of course, as has already been stated, the screen will always be the biggest drain on the battery unless you're using the phone for an extremely long period of time with the screen off.

Last edited: