ICS still unable to play .wave files I see

Reaction score
So I have MagicJack home phone service. And when some one leaves a voice message for you it will send the file to your email as a .wave file. Back when I had my iPhone 3G its quick time player had no problem playing those but neither my Droid X or GN can okay these stinking files. Even trying to open them with every file,music, video player imaginable still gives me the "cannot play requested track" message.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Se7enLC

Reaction score
So I have MagicJack home phone service. And when some one leaves a voice message for you it will send the file to your email as a .wave file. Back when I had my iPhone 3G its quick time player had no problem playing those but neither my Droid X or GN can okay these stinking files. Even trying to open them with every file,music, video player imaginable still gives me the "cannot play requested track" message.

What the heck? They couldn't spring for mp3 encoding for messages?

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score

.wav files are supposed to be some of the most compatible and are the absolute best quality you can get...

Supercharged tweaked Miui.us
Primes deprimed kernel @ 1.2GHz w/ customized kickasskernel tweaks and 3g turbocharger
19.9 linpack score
1921 quadrant score
Zoom zoom ;)

Se7enLC

Reaction score
.wav files are supposed to be some of the most compatible and are the absolute best quality you can get...

Sure, but we're talking about telephone quality recordings being transmitted over email, here. I guess wav should be more compatible, and if the recording quality is low enough (8khz mono?) The file sizes won't be to ludicrous for email. I wouldn't want to have to download a 10mb wav file to get a 1 minute voicemail.

OP
untoothedyouth
Reaction score

Yeah that's the same thing I said. Who the heck uses .wav MagicJack??

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Sweettooth

Reaction score
I'm confused. Ever since Froyo I couldn't play any corporate voicemail files because they broke .wav file support. To my surprise I can now play them again and you guys are telling me there's no ICS support. What the deuce?

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sure, but we're talking about telephone quality recordings being transmitted over email, here. I guess wav should be more compatible, and if the recording quality is low enough (8khz mono?) The file sizes won't be to ludicrous for email. I wouldn't want to have to download a 10mb wav file to get a 1 minute voicemail.

True, I meant they might've opted for .wav files because its phone call quality and lowering the quality might make it harder to hear and understand? At any rate I do think wave files are just too big to be useful for that

Primes deprimed kernel @ 1.2GHz w/ customized kickasskernel tweaks and 3g turbocharger
19.9 linpack score
1921 quadrant score
Zoom zoom ;)

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm confused. Ever since Froyo I couldn't play any corporate voicemail files because they broke .wav file support. To my surprise I can now play them again and you guys are telling me there's no ICS support. What the deuce?

According to the link I have it should have wave file support? Idk unless its something Samsung did on the hardware side of things. Or maybe its the fault of the stock media player lacking proper codecs?

19.9 linpack score
1921 quadrant score
Zoom zoom ;)

abadbronc

Reaction score
I receive voicemail .wav attachments all the time in my email. I click "load attachment" then click the play button and it plays the message without problems. Maybe I don't totally understand the problem.

Just now I even downloaded one of the .wav files and it still opened and played just fine. Running completely stock on Gnex.