ICS POLL .....to have soft buttons or not is the question????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Htown315

Reaction score
I agree. Luckily most roms have soft key customization built into settings and you can have up to five persistent buttons now. I just use 4 since I never use the search button.

JeffDenver

Reaction score
your analysis is just 100% wrong. There is no lag
You mean there is CURRENTLY no lag.

Just because current apps do not lag the processor yet does not mean future apps wont. As with all hardware, the Nexus will slowly become obsolete and lag will creep in as a result. We've seen this with every phone released so far. By tying the Nav buttons into the UI you are placing the UI's limitations on them. I am not comfortable with that.

I brought up moto because this is a moto thread.
This is not an issue unique to Moto phones either way. So the fact that this is in the Moto forum is incidental. It really has nothing to do with Moto specifically.

Htown315

Reaction score
Really? Predicting the future? I'm pretty sure the nexus is as future proof as you can get in android atm. My D2 still does everything I need it to so I'm sure any current dual core phone will last its two year contract.

Dejuanxg

Reaction score
Im sorry i can't see a valid point about the software buttons lagging that's really stupid because the same thing would happen if a phone with the soft touch button of hard buttons were to lag the buttons presses would also lag. I like the software buttons because they can be changed as needed by the os and are not limited by hardware.the amount of pixels they use could also be changed to have more screen. sooooo now i ask would you rather have buttons that will always be the same or ones that can change with your needs?

CrimsonTide55

Reaction score
@ Htown315. Dude don't argue with jeffdover. He'll argue any point just to argue it. He's always defending his beloved rezound against the nexus. Pretty much all his posts are bashing everything about the nexus. Dude is wack from that Denver air

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Last edited:

Dejuanxg

Reaction score
Well there are a few bolts out there he won't be able to turn and i forgot about the fact that the hardware & cap button phones still don't have the extra screen size if they wanted it look the nexus had options.

B-Unit

Reaction score
This is not an issue unique to Moto phones either way. So the fact that this is in the Moto forum is incidental. It really has nothing to do with Moto specifically.

:blink: Am I mistaken or is this the Droid 4 forum? I think that means its a Moto issue.

On the topic, the hardware buttons are ICS styled anyway, so why on earth would you want duplicate soft keys on this phone? For the D4, no software keys. On a phone built to use it, sure why not.

CrimsonTide55

Reaction score
Because the on screen buttons might lag in the future.... duh.....jeffdover already explained this to us

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Last edited:
OP
T

tdpolo26

Reaction score
Im sorry i can't see a valid point about the software buttons lagging that's really stupid because the same thing would happen if a phone with the soft touch button of hard buttons were to lag the buttons presses would also lag. I like the software buttons because they can be changed as needed by the os and are not limited by hardware.the amount of pixels they use could also be changed to have more screen. sooooo now i ask would you rather have buttons that will always be the same or ones that can change with your needs?

I wouldnt be as worried about lag as much as a program error were they didnt come up or something like that. At least my capacitive buttons always are there. I do feel it is highly unlikely that such an error would come up, and you could just do a reset, but if it was important you could be slightly annoyed.

Also screen size has nothing to do with capacative or any buttons really they could put plenty of buttons on the nexus... so lets all take a step back from that one.... capacative buttons take up little to no space ....i am not saying they are better, just i dont believe they will affect the screen size. Also to me the nexus is about as big as i would go.... the huge galaxy note thing is just way to big. BTW i am def a fan of the nexus in many ways if it had a keyboard, and better radios it would be the perfect phone TO ME.........

bishoy

Reaction score
As for ICS on other phones they will not bring the soft keys to other phones. They are specifically designed for the Nexus, not ICS.

Actually, the soft keys are not specifically for the nexus. It is a feature of ICS, taken from honeycomb. All devices running ICS (or honeycomb, for that matter) should have the same softkeys. However, since some phones that will be upgraded to ICS will have the touch buttons. I suspect that the softkeys will not be used in this situation

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

ambrown

Reaction score
I don't know, I like some things about both setups. I like having hard keys to pound on when I want to jump back and forward and the alt features of the long press are handy for multitasking. However, three thing about the OS lagging and being non-responsive carry over to the hard keys too since there have been plenty of times I've hit the home key and had to wait for the OS to catch up anyway.

I like the soft keys because then I don't have to deal with those darn blinding LEDs at night and not being ankle to dim them. And as was said by another poster, it gives the phone a little more unified look. Obviously there are times when it would be inconvenient I'm sure.

Ultimately both will likely be used for a while till some huge advantage can be seen from one or the other.

Sent from my Droid Incredible on 2.3.4 using the DroidForums app

JeffDenver

Reaction score
@ Htown315. Dude don't argue with jeffdover. He'll argue any point just to argue it. He's always defending his beloved rezound against the nexus. Pretty much all his posts are bashing everything about the nexus.
ORLY?

LOL (Post #28) - http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ga...d-i-get-rid-my-bionic-gnex-3.html#post2007862

LOL (Post #8) - http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-maxx/196997-wrong-phone-me.html#post2003190

LOL (Post #11) - http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...21-galaxy-nexus-droid-razr-2.html#post2009951

You need to pay attention a little more. I dont hate the Nexus (far from it). Would you like some ketchup with your words?

(btw, is "Jeffdover" supposed to be an insult or something? What does that even mean? LOL)

JeffDenver

Reaction score
JeffDenver: This is not an issue unique to Moto phones either way. So the fact that this is in the Moto forum is incidental. It really has nothing to do with Moto specifically.

Am I mistaken or is this the Droid 4 forum? I think that means its a Moto issue.
Did you not read my post? I quoted it again for you above. Are you trying to imply that this issue is specific to Moto phones?

Also screen size has nothing to do with capacative or any buttons really they could put plenty of buttons on the nexus... so lets all take a step back from that one.... capacative buttons take up little to no space ....i am not saying they are better, just i dont believe they will affect the screen size.
This.

In theory I guess you could design a phone where the entire front is the display, but the Nexus was not designed that way.

I like the soft keys because then I don't have to deal with those darn blinding LEDs at night and not being ankle to dim them.
Just the opposite for me...if I could force the Rezound's cap buttons to stay "on" all the time, I would. They are tied to the ambient light sensor though. =(

It annoys me enough that I would root for that reason alone if there was a hack that kept them on all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.