ICS POLL .....to have soft buttons or not is the question????

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
T

tdpolo26

Reaction score
I really like the capacative buttons i have big fingers hence buying the droid 4 cause i hate touchscreen typing and i do a ton of emails. the capacative buttons dont cause me to have miss hits things like that. they are a bit bigger and spread out... and they are always there so i can do alot of things with out looking, not to say eventually if i was used to the gnex i couldnt. I am def not speaking poorly about the gnex i think it is a good phone slightly over rated hardware wise but very very solid performer.

Htown315

Reaction score
@ jeff..I hear what you are saying but its just not like that trust me I own the device and owned 4 motos prior so if anything I'm a MOTO fan boy.

aqworldthunder

Darth Droid
Reaction score
Soft buttons its just more comfortable ^…^

-AqworldThunder ;) ^…^ ¶.¶ *.* Thank me if i helped please!

JeffDenver

Reaction score
@ jeff..I hear what you are saying but its just not like that trust me I own the device and owned 4 motos prior so if anything I'm a MOTO fan boy.
I dont know what Moto has to do with anything. It isn't just Moto that will not be adopting the no-buttons approach. HTC is obviously ignoring Google on this as well.

It is one of those things that seems like a good idea on paper but doesn't work as well in real life. I have actually used a Nexus, and more than once. IMO, it adds nothing to the experience and actually makes the phone harder to use. It has some aesthetic appeal, but thats it. I don't think most people (especially non-nerds) will want to sacrifice the screen real estate and functionality for the Aesthetics. I predict this is something that will stay only on the Nexus.

A lack of hardware navigation is something that always annoyed me about the iPhone...I do not want to see that standard adopted by Android as well.

aqworldthunder

Darth Droid
Reaction score
Jeff's right It would suck if it was for Droid.

OP
T

tdpolo26

Reaction score
I dont know what Moto has to do with anything. It isn't just Moto that will not be adopting the no-buttons approach. HTC is obviously ignoring Google on this as well.

It is one of those things that seems like a good idea on paper but doesn't work as well in real life. I have actually used a Nexus, and more than once. IMO, it adds nothing to the experience and actually makes the phone harder to use. It has some aesthetic appeal, but thats it. I don't think most people (especially non-nerds) will want to sacrifice the screen real estate and functionality for the Aesthetics. I predict this is something that will stay only on the Nexus.

A lack of hardware navigation is something that always annoyed me about the iPhone...I do not want to see that standard adopted by Android as well.

i def agree......... except there is plenty of room on any phone to add capacitive buttons. the nexus people say it is to add to screen size in all reality there is room for two rows of buttons on that thing (i am not saying it should have them). I think everyphone should have a standard menu and back button

aqworldthunder

Darth Droid
Reaction score
Hard buttons and flip phones are the enemy!

Insidious

Reaction score
You know I like how they add a clean look to the phone but even Jerry Hildebrand agrees.they're too inconsistent. I like ics better without them.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

aqworldthunder

Darth Droid
Reaction score
I had a apple laptop it broke D=

iGrizz

Reaction score
I don't know about all you but I have not had any lag with my soft keys. I love how I can change the color of them. Sure I somewhat miss the button set on my Thunderbolt but these soft keys are growing on me.

As for ICS on other phones they will not bring the soft keys to other phones. They are specifically designed for the Nexus, not ICS.

Htown315

Reaction score

I brought up moto because this is a moto thread. That is your opinion and I as well as most people who actually own the device will disagree. It works perfectly, your analysis is just 100% wrong. There is no lag and there is never an instant where you need button that are not there. They act exactly the same as cap. buttons. This is purely referring to the tech itself as for phones with old school buttons it would be unneeded in ics I agree.

Bigfoot77

Reaction score
Thats exactly what I dont like about them. I dont like having to rely on the OS to get access to Nav buttons. If the OS lags, the buttons will lag too.

I understand you mean the soft buttons don't immediately appear if there is lag, but hard buttons do not make you immune to OS lags, either. There have been plenty of times I have hit a button and had to wait for a response from the system. I do agree that it would be stupidly redundant to have duplicate navigation keys, and I doubt any stock versions would be that way.

Abs

Reaction score
I brought up moto because this is a moto thread. That is your opinion and I as well as most people who actually own the device will disagree. It works perfectly, your analysis is just 100% wrong. There is no lag and there is never an instant where you need button that are not there. They act exactly the same as cap. buttons. This is purely referring to the tech itself as for phones with old school buttons it would be unneeded in ics I agree.

In my experiences with the nexus... the only part that I hate is the search for the menu dots game that you have to play whenever you open an app. I haven't ever noticed any lag with the soft buttons at all.. although I haven't done anything hardcore with the phone. I think that either devs should decide on a default place for the menu dots or google should stick them in with the softkeys. I would certainly prefer the latter

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

Status
Not open for further replies.