ICS OTA update and Root

jamestheartist

Reaction score
The ICS update is rumored to be released from Verizon for the RAZR soon. Should we unroot before this update, or do the update rooted, then re-root with the next procedure after it? Also, is it safe to accept this update rooted?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

OP
jamestheartist

jamestheartist

Reaction score
First reason is because it gives the phone user Administrative access to the phone. Second reason is because we can. ;)

bullswife98

Reaction score
You can if you want to but as for me I'm not planning on un-rooting... its not going to hurt your phone however,it will most likely break root. But for ICS who cares if it does break root right!?! Its ICS! As long as you haven't removed any apps the update will work fine when its out.

Sent from my Updated and Rooted Razr sliced thin! :)

OP
jamestheartist

jamestheartist

Reaction score
Great! Thanks for the heads up...I was replying to na641 who asked why people do this, and I presumed he/she was asking why people root in the first place. I hadn't planned on unrooting either. ;) Just hoping that having root wouldn't somehow mess up the phone when the update came out, :)

bullswife98

Reaction score
It won't as long as you haven't removed any apps. Ota updates look for that so if you want to keep receiving updates then never delete apps.l,freeze them... and just in case back them up! Can't stress this enough lots of posters made mystakes and deleted bloat and had a hard time getting the latest update ssooo don't delete them freeze them its just as good if not better as its still there but disabled. As long as you do this anything that's pushed out as an ota you'll be fine it won't hurt the phone. Hope it helps and Happy romming!

Sent from my Updated and Rooted Razr sliced thin! :)

djzachtyler

Reaction score
I hope you are right, and ICS gets here soon... GB has been a total pile IMHO... broke my DX... seeing the same pattern of fails on the RAZR (minus the keyboard issue)

Wish I had a Cyanogen release for the RAZR... O-Well waiting to actually root this one till I get the latest update.

Einsteindks

Reaction score
For all market updates, I had TB integrate them into the ROM, and I think that's why my OTA fails; not finding an OE, odexed program. No biggie. Reset, flash stock ROM, take OTAs, wipe, reset, reroot, restrap, restore data, voila. I don't care if it takes so much. It gets me a setup I can like.

bogginblazer

Reaction score
For all market updates, I had TB integrate them into the ROM, and I think that's why my OTA fails; not finding an OE, odexed program. No biggie. Reset, flash stock ROM, take OTAs, wipe, reset, reroot, restrap, restore data, voila. I don't care if it takes so much. It gets me a setup I can like.

How would u reroot if there is no root for ics on razr?

Einsteindks

Reaction score
Because I mistakenly neglected to mention this was for the .748 update. ICS is not officially available OTA for our Razr.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
jamestheartist

jamestheartist

Reaction score
I am certain that after the ICS update, the Dev gods will have root methods within the week! ;)

shizumie

Reaction score
Just use voodoo ota rootkeep. The leaked ota 6.12.173 broke root and you cant root it (yet) however if you used voodoo to suspend root updatehen restore root, all is well. Im guessing it will be the same when ics is released.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk