ICS on the OG Droid?

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by SlammedDime, Oct 19, 2011.

1. SlammedDime

SlammedDime Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Pete - Will you be making any attempts at compiling Ice Cream Sandwich for the OG?
  2. DHO

DHO Member

Ratings:
    +1
  3. RobClay18838

RobClay18838 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It'd be nice.

Sent from my DROID using DroidForums
  4. mwahlquist

mwahlquist Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Anything is possible, but I think it may be time to move on. ICS was built for phones with double our overclocked processor and 4x the RAM. It would take a lot of work and you would constantly get the random errors we sometimes see in gingerbread (and blame on hardware failures or bugs). OG has been a good friend, but I think it is time to move forward. I'll try it if someone builds it, and I'm sure someone will try, but it isn't worth putting much time into...
  5. googlelover

googlelover Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Who said it was built only for dual core with 1 gig of ram? They already said phones running gingerbread should be able to run ICS fine, and I don't think all the phones running gingerbread have those specs...
  6. hyperdude

hyperdude Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The Nexus phones are meant to be references for how to build a phone for Android. Yes, new versions can be ported into older phones, but since Gingerbread was built for phones with at least 512MB of RAM (Pete said so himself) and there's been plenty of issues and bugs getting it onto the OG Droid, I seriously doubt getting ICS onto the OG would be feasible. Probably possible, but we'd have to set low-memory settings far below what they're supposed to be by default, it would probably be laggy as hell, apps would close in the background all the time (like they often to in Gingerbread), and so on.

Since my line is eligible for an upgrade, and I'll be grandfathered into unlimited data, and I've waited on upgrading for the GN to come out, I'm jumping on it. Since it's a Nexus device, I know it'll have up-to-date Android for at least 18 months (probably longer, with the specs it has), and beyond that it'll have just as huge a dev community as the aging devices have now.
  7. googlelover

googlelover Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I know it'd be buggy and laggy, I wouldn't expect much more, but I'd still like to see ICS on the Droid. Its hard to admit the death of this little fighter... and I've had my upgrade since last year in like august. I've been waiting for that one phone. Looks like the GN will be it for me too, but I don't think my heart will let go of my OG until it sputters out completely.. Without this phone, I don't know where i'd be right now. It started my love for Android, it kick started Android into becoming a mainstream operating system. Its an amazing device and I want to see it upgraded with the new OS's until it can't run them, so I still have hope someone will port it.
  8. OneTenderRebel

OneTenderRebel Silver Member

Ratings:
    +63
    If it can run on the OG Droid, undoubtedly it will be ported.
  9. jdawg334

jdawg334 Member

Ratings:
    +0
  10. tjk629

tjk629 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +65
    GB runs fine on the OG. The issue is that we put to much "pressure" on the OG hardware.

When I got my Bionic I did a wipe on my OG and didn't install a lot on it. It runs fairly smooth and fast.

I'm sure the OG can handle ICS ok. Just don't expect it to be a power house.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
  11. mwahlquist

mwahlquist Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Let me take this from another approach. Undoubtedly someone will get ICS running in some state on og droid. The question really should be - do we want Pete pushing towards that... or would anyone rather see him working on a Bugless ICS. I think he is about 75% convinced to bring back the beast, but he needs to hear it from the community. I got setup last night with his source and plan to help him in any way I can (waiting for ICS source to drop). Lets get the beast back and start this thing all over again. I also have been waiting for this handset and ICS to upgrade... I am ready to retire my og droid (both of them) and get moving forward again. Anyone with me?
  12. SupAll

SupAll Member

Ratings:
    +0
    We don't want Pete to focus on the OG Droid. The reason he's stuck with the OG Droid for so long was because every phone released on Verizon since hasn't been a stock vanilla experience and held a locked bootloader. The Galaxy Nexus changes that and since it will be coming out with ICS, Pete will undoubtedly move towards it and develop on there. Its about time we shelved our OG Droid.
  13. googlelover

googlelover Member

Ratings:
    +1
    We don't want him focusing on the OG droid, but we don't want him to forget about it either. I don't ever want to shelve my Droid, even if I don't bring it around for personal use I still want to update it and play around.
Search tags for this page

best ics rom for og droid

highest version of android running on og droid

how to get ics on og droid

ics; og droid

og driod

og droid