ICS Leak with sense 3.6

pbickel

Reaction score
Do I need to be rooted to install the leak? I'm not rooted and was wondering if I can do this with out rooting and if need be be able to get back to GB

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

flamewalker

Reaction score
I installed the leak without rooting, but per the last reply I think you have to root to get back to GB.

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Yup, you don't need to be unlocked to install the latest leak. However if you want to go back to GB your only option is to unlock, and install a GB ROM or go through the S-Off procedure and run a GB RUU

OP
pbickel

pbickel

Reaction score
If I install this leak when the official one is released is there away to get back onto the official update path or install the ota one

Sent from my HTC Rezound

Snoking

Reaction score
If I install this leak when the official one is released is there away to get back onto the official update path or install the ota one

Sent from my HTC Rezound

I would wait a few more weeks.

OP
pbickel

pbickel

Reaction score
I also heard the leak is pretty stable. Does it have any issues at all such as camera flash or something like that

Sent from my HTC Rezound

flamewalker

Reaction score
No issues whatsoever here... have received a couple updates in the last couple weeks, but no issues here.

OP
pbickel

pbickel

Reaction score
I'm really debating whether I want to install the leak or not

Sent from my HTC Rezound

flamewalker

Reaction score
No issues whatsoever here... have received a couple updates in the last couple weeks, but no issues here. YMMV of course.

HowardZ

Reaction score

Sent from my HTC Rezound

Mr. Smith, please correct me if I am wrong

I think if you:
1. Made a nandroid backup and find a copy of your stock kernel (from the internet) to save, and
2. Install Scott's standard ROM - which is based on the leaked RUU

Then you will have ICS without the new radio from the leaked RUU.

To go back to stock you'll need to restore the stock kernel and your nandroid backup.
Then you'll be ready for the Official OTA ICS Upgrade - when it eventually is released by HTC/Verizon.

Mr. Smith, does the above sound correct?

Howard

Update: Forget all that is written above.
Cleanrom will require some kind of "old firmware update".
Nobody (but Scott) knows what the heck it does.
It most likely changes your radio firmware to the ICS Leak firmware
(which might possibly also cause incompatibility with the new S-OFF Hboot).

Once you are on the ICS Leak firmware - there seems to be no going back,
and it might prevent you from ever taking another offical OTA update ever again.

I suspect that everyone on the ICS Leak or Scotts ROMs are going to sorely regret having put that firmware in their phone after the official ICS update is released. Going back to stock will probably be difficult, time consuming, complicated, and require S-OFF.

Don't do anything to your phone unless there is a clear, simple, unambiguous, tried and tested method to return your phone to stock. The only exception is on a phone that is out of production and will never get any more updates from the manufacturer.

Examples: You unlock your bootloader? Yes you can relock it.
You root your phone? Yes, you can unroot it.
You S-OFF your phone? Yes, you can S-ON it again.
You take the leaked ICS? You are stuck on it - possibly forever.
You take Scott's ROM? If it puts the leaked ICS radio firmware, then stuck again.

I suggest staying on GB and wait for the official ICS OTA update.
This is what I have decided to do - until such time that I learn
what the heck Scott's "old firmware update" is going to do to my phone.

I think I will be quite happy to eventually run HTC/Verizon's official ICS with root and unlocked bootloader.

HowardZ

Reaction score
I am reading in other places that
if one has S-OFF,
then one can go back to stock via rru.

I don't know if it is a theoretical declaration,
or if several people have already done it.

Howard

DroidBoardr

Reaction score
I'm really debating whether I want to install the leak or not

I installed the leak last weekend, and have seen no problems at all. In fact i think my battery life has gotten better with this leak. I haven't used my phone as intensively this week, but i get home in the afternoon with more than 70% of my battery left, when i used to have less that 50% on Gingerbread (with average usage, no heavy gaming). Nothing scientific, just my observation.
(I do keep LTE turned off most of the day, unless i need to stream something.)

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
I am reading in other places that
if one has S-OFF,
then one can go back to stock via rru.

I don't know if it is a theoretical declaration,
or if several people have already done it.

Howard

It's not a theoretical declaration. You can go back to GB via RUU or ROM. The whole issue is matching firmware. Your prior post about the GB firmware patch is almost on the right trail. The "old firmware patch" allows those with Gingerbread firmware(Not on the latest ICS leak) to run on new ICS leak ROMs without applying the leaked firmware.

Once you are S-Off, you can go backwards and forwards with the firmware at will. The S-On lock is what keeps everyone else from not going back to old firmware.