ICS/Jelly Bean

cece5702

Reaction score
All this talk about the rollout of ICS for this week got me thinking. Do you think ICS is rolling out sooner than expected because Jelly Bean is soon to follow? I read on another forum and Cnet news that Jelly Bean is set to rollout 3Q. Maybe thats why they are pushing ICS out sooner than we expected? Why not just by pass ICS and get the JB rollout instead? I also read that was a possibility for the Maxx on Appy Geek. Dont know how reliable Appy Geek is though. I would think JB would offer more enhancements than ICS? Any thoughts?

ka1z0ku

Reaction score
That's like saying the D1 should've skipped Froyo and went straight to Gingerbread. Froyo was a big improvement over Eclair in its own right, and we shouldn't overlook the improvements we can get now just because the next big thing is around the corner (because, guess what, right after Jelly Bean comes out everyone will be clamoring for whatever K dessert turns out to be...)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
All this talk about the rollout of ICS for this week got me thinking. Do you think ICS is rolling out sooner than expected because Jelly Bean is soon to follow? I read on another forum and Cnet news that Jelly Bean is set to rollout 3Q. Maybe thats why they are pushing ICS out sooner than we expected? Why not just by pass ICS and get the JB rollout instead? I also read that was a possibility for the Maxx on Appy Geek. Dont know how reliable Appy Geek is though. I would think JB would offer more enhancements than ICS? Any thoughts?

No. Jelly Bean coming out in the 3q means it is doubtful a handset will see that OS before 1q2013.

EDIT: This means a factory OS for a handset, not you rooters and flashers.

pbickel

Reaction score
Don't take this wrong but why worry about jelly bean at all and just be happy that we're getting ICS before anyone thought we would!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

OP
cece5702

cece5702

Reaction score
I'm not worrying about JB...I asked a question about it!!!!! Who said anything about not being happy?
Don't take this wrong but why worry about jelly bean at all and just be happy that we're getting ICS before anyone thought we would!

devdeuce

Reaction score
Key lime pie. Delicious!

pinoy_92

Reaction score
Maybe thats why they are pushing ICS out sooner than we expected?

not sure about everyone else, but i was expecting ICS for razr a few months back.. as for jelly bean, i doubt that we will see it anytime soon.

Zandar

Reaction score
The release schedule for a new Android OS to an OEM (i.e. non-Nexus phone) is usually, if we're lucky, a few months before the next OS is announced/released to AOSP. This makes us power users/geeks frustrated, but it's really how it's supposed to be. Google releases a new OS and the OEMs get to work porting, polishing, and adding/deleting. The carriers then get to testing, and we eventually get a new OS rollout. Since Google's already done the testing/polishing/etc. for their specific device (latest Nexus), they roll it out immediately.

There is nothing wrong with this. This is how a truly open OS works. If Motorola, Samsung, et al get the OS long before it's released, it's not fair to the rest of the players and the average Joe/Jane who simply wants to compile a custom Android version for themselves (or their products). This is what happened with Honeycomb: Motorola pushed Google to get a true tablet OS out the door so they could compete with Apple. It failed for Motorola, and it frustrated a lot of people because the OS was never released to AOSP (Google, from what I hear, didn't really want it released at all and ICS was supposed to be the next OS after Gingerbread).

All of which is to say: No. This is not because Jelly Bean is coming out. Ice Cream Sandwich is coming out now because it's ready now (from Moto and VZW). I'd expect to see Jelly Bean sometime late this or early next year, so enjoy your ICS. 2012 should be the year of ICS, with some devices getting an update as late as early 2013 (and some not at all). Welcome to an open source OS.

Still, I can do far more on GB than I can on iOS 5, so it's all relative. I don't care about upgrades; I care about functionality. You can get a new Kia every year and feel good about having a great upgrade cycle for your vehicles; I'll happily churn along in my 2005 WRX with incremental upgrades as I go along. Functionality is king, and 2.3 Android is still years ahead of most other OSes in this regard (WP7 and iOS, mainly).

robert70

Reaction score
I think that all of you should just be happy that your going to get ics, because everything I have read thus far says I wont be getting it on my x2 which really pi**** me off as this phone is only what nine months old? Way to drop the ball awesome!!! Anyway I the the person that said you will be lucky to see jb in the 1q of 2013 is very much on track, and I'm pretty sure that if moto and big red follow their norm, jb will be the last update for most of you,,so why be in such a big hurry to rush to the end? Just my two cents. †

Sent from the west at Westgate-Cyrus Lodge #520 F & A M.

yaterml

Reaction score
That's already out; it's called the iPhone.

The Iphone is Apple
Sweet, delicious, and and juicy at first
Then all your left with is a rotten brown core.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using DroidForums

yaterml

Reaction score
No one that should be on this forum should have bought the iPhone hook, line and sinker. Drinking the iPhone would definitely be deadly. I no brainwashed by Siri and the iPhone.