ICS Browser sooo laggy it's useless after the update

youhozz

Reaction score
Someone please help, i've tried nearly everything. Ever since the ICS update the other day my browser has gone to crap. I have cleared the history and cache and tried nearly every other browser out there and they seem to all be running equally as crappy, minus the firefox beta (only slightly less crappy) I even did a factory reset today as some people in the forums were reporting improvement afterwards, but still nothing. Verizon has no solutions to this. I want GB back :mad: I use the desktop view of the internet ( i hate watered down internet) If i run mobile view of the websites it seems to work fine. Please help!!!

acejavelin

Reaction score
This sounds like a bandwidth issue, since mobile site versions are very bandwidth optimized... have you installed SpeedTest and tested your speeds?

OP
Y

youhozz

Reaction score
No sir, is that what the app is called? It just seems strange for that to instantly change after the ICS update.

HowardZ

Reaction score
I have noticed opera mobile gets slow, and associated it either with the latest 3.04.605.2 os that I installed, or that I've started using nova launcher around the same time. So instead of 6 or 7 open tabs I only use 2 or 3. I also see on rare occasions the hearts game freeze for many seconds and then come back to life. I suspect the phone is running low on memory or it is a nova launcher problem.

it doesn't happen enough for me to consider installing gingerbread, which I can do, because I have s-off.

Sometimes I think of uninstalling nova launcher which is much easier than changing operating systems. But, the slowness problems are rare.

Anyways, you must have s-off on your phone in order to go backwards in operating system version numbers. The procedure is not simple nor without risks as some have bricked/ruined their phone trying it..

You can read about s-off at unlimited.io website. do not use www in front of it. The prerequisites include unlocked bootloader via HTCdev.com and rooted.

Many also load the optional modified hboot, but I advise against it, as I see the non-stock hboots as unnecessary and can potentially brick the phone.

If you have s-off you can download the gingerbread ruu exe file, or ruu zip file to change operating systems.

Last edited:
OP
Y

youhozz

Reaction score
This sounds like a bandwidth issue, since mobile site versions are very bandwidth optimized... have you installed SpeedTest and tested your speeds?

I used the speed test while I was in 4G and its running at 6535 KB/s download and 3175 KB/s upload. My browser is still lagging and seems buggy. I have to use chrome because that seems to be the least laggy but its still not working the way it was before ICS. I don't ubderstand why it would run slow with those kind of speeds. Verizon was absolutely no help (as usual) they didn't know why I'd be having issues and offered to replace it under warranty. Chrome works enough to make me not want to throw my phone but the fact that it doesn't support flash is irratatingg because I can't watch videos in my newsfeed.

HowardZ

Reaction score
I stopped using nova launcher and my sluggish browser problem went away.

Then yesterday it was terrible, but I found out the entire neighborhood was having Comcast problems, and I was using WiFi.

If you are s-off, then I can show you how to install gingerbread.

If you are s-on one can not install an older version of the operating system. However, you can reinstall the same version (or newer) of your operating system using a ruu zip file.

Last edited:

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
youhozz said:
I used the speed test while I was in 4G and its running at 6535 KB/s download and 3175 KB/s upload. My browser is still lagging and seems buggy. I have to use chrome because that seems to be the least laggy but its still not working the way it was before ICS. I don't ubderstand why it would run slow with those kind of speeds. Verizon was absolutely no help (as usual) they didn't know why I'd be having issues and offered to replace it under warranty. Chrome works enough to make me not want to throw my phone but the fact that it doesn't support flash is irratatingg because I can't watch videos in my newsfeed.

6.5 Mbps on 4g seems slow to me but your browser shouldn't be that slow even at that speed. Try ICS Browser +. It's pretty fast even on the slow wifi we have at work. (2-3 Mbps) On my home wifi it flies. (18-20 Mbps)

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Droid Forums

HowardZ

Reaction score
6.5 Mbps on 4g seems slow to me but your browser shouldn't be that slow even at that speed. Try ICS Browser +. It's pretty fast even on the slow wifi we have at work. (2-3 Mbps) On my home wifi it flies. (18-20 Mbps)

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Droid Forums

Thanks for mentioning that ICS Browser +

However, I can't get the keyboard to pop up to reply on droidforums.net

HowardZ

Reaction score
Someone please help, i've tried nearly everything. Ever since the ICS update the other day my browser has gone to crap. I have cleared the history and cache and tried nearly every other browser out there and they seem to all be running equally as crappy, minus the firefox beta (only slightly less crappy) I even did a factory reset today as some people in the forums were reporting improvement afterwards, but still nothing. Verizon has no solutions to this. I want GB back :mad: I use the desktop view of the internet ( i hate watered down internet) If i run mobile view of the websites it seems to work fine. Please help!!!

I might perhaps have the answer for you.

Today I was laying in the sun next to the swimming pool. I started to play with my rezound. I had 3g instead of the usual 4g, and browser speed was much slower than usual 3g speeds. I checked the battery temperature and it was in the 130s.

I went to sit in the shade, but even after the battery temperature had gone down some, the phone was still very slow.

I rebooted the phone, immediately had 4g, and my normal phone speed. Perhaps ics goes into overheat protection mode and gets stuck there?

Are your periods of slow browsing coinciding with outdoor use in the summer heat?

sweaner

Reaction score
I finally got around to doing a Factory Reset after getting ICS. This seems to have fixed all of my issues since the update, including poor battery life and lagginess. If anyone is still having issues, try it. I used My Backup to backup SMS and some other settings, and it did the job.