ICS battery life so disappointing...Is this normal?

jsnweitzel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Killing apps actually slows down your phone. Having a bunch of free ram in android is just wasting it. It's not like windows.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

OP
Y

yankaiyu

Reaction score
The second night, with wifi on. Fully charged and 8 hours later still 90%. However if I turn wifi-off, my phone become hot again and battery drop fast. By the afternoon it require charger again. Not sure it's still indexing files or it is the 4G LTE that causes the hot and battery life issue. Gonna wait several days and see if it can improve.

myfishbear

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
The second night, with wifi on. Fully charged and 8 hours later still 90%. However if I turn wifi-off, my phone become hot again and battery drop fast. By the afternoon it require charger again. Not sure it's still indexing files or it is the 4G LTE that causes the hot and battery life issue. Gonna wait several days and see if it can improve.
the stock profiles for the cpu drain power like no other.... my oc scripts on my rom sip power in comparison... the phone is also colder to the touch... you should try it out..
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-4-roms/223965-eclipse-ics-droid-4-a.html#post2267628

Last edited:
OP
Y

yankaiyu

Reaction score
the stock profiles for the cpu drain power like no other.... my oc scripts on my rom sip power in comparison... the phone is also colder to the touch... you should try it out..
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-4-roms/223965-eclipse-ics-droid-4-a.html#post2267628

Hi. Actually I just took your rom the day before yesterday. The eclipse 1.2.6. As u mentioned the first couple days battery life will be terrible. So i'm still waiting until the battery life becomes stable. By the way when I first installed your 1.2.6 rom I installed the 1320 oc ulv patch together without the speedscript. Then the first reboot my device get freezed on the booting logo. So i did a reset and installed your rom without any patch.

Just wanna know if it this like the speed script must be installed together with the oc patch, or it is like the first reboot requires a lot of system resources so an unstable cpu is easy to get died and I should install the patch some days later? And if I choose to install a underclock lv patch, do I need to install the speed patch? Thanks! Your rom seems to be really tight and clean. Hope it can solve my battery life problem.

myfishbear

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Hi. Actually I just took your rom the day before yesterday. The eclipse 1.2.6. As u mentioned the first couple days battery life will be terrible. So i'm still waiting until the battery life becomes stable. By the way when I first installed your 1.2.6 rom I installed the 1320 oc ulv patch together without the speedscript. Then the first reboot my device get freezed on the booting logo. So i did a reset and installed your rom without any patch.

Just wanna know if it this like the speed script must be installed together with the oc patch, or it is like the first reboot requires a lot of system resources so an unstable cpu is easy to get died and I should install the patch some days later? And if I choose to install a underclock lv patch, do I need to install the speed patch? Thanks! Your rom seems to be really tight and clean. Hope it can solve my battery life problem.
you dont need both but i recommend both... you should re dl the 1320lv oc patch, i just edited a problem with a couple profiles... thats why you arent saving power yet...
when you boot use setcpu to change the values to hotplugx and noop..
also use up all your batt till it dies and charge the phone up in the charge only mode with the stock charger... this calibrates your battery... this is the mode with the big battery on the screen

Last edited:

Zero5295

Reaction score
Hey, I'm not interesting in rooting right now, but I do have a problem. I SBF'd to ICS from a rooted GB stock that I messed up thanks to removing busybox w/o first removing safestrap (yeah I know, smart one right?). Everything works great on ICS, started lagging a little so I set the backgrounding limit to 4 apps and it was smooth again. The problem is the BATTERY: I have strong 4G, and I tried the cache clearing from the stock bootloader yesterday. I used my phone constantly: texting, emailing, and the like. I watched my phone drain down to 10% in about 4 hrs. Is this normal? Should i factory reset? If so, what should I move to my external 16gb sd card to keep from getting deleted? It also may be important to note that I DID use the "restore phone from Google" option at setup.

Zero5295

Reaction score
format both sd cards and use https://play.google.com/store/apps/...1bGwsMSwyLDEsIm5ldC5hbmRpcmMubHRlb25mb2ZmIl0. select cdma cuz lte eats battery power
on my rom i get 8 hours nonstop use, 48h light use
also drain the battery all the way, and charge with stock charger in charge only mode so the battery calibrates

Thanks for the quick reply, and congrats on recently becoming an official dev! I'll try this now. When I do root again, there's no question that I'll slap your ROM on my phone.

Zero5295

Reaction score
I'm impressed. I saw a step decline in battery life before I switched it to just 3G. Now it's just a flat line basically lol. o_O

EDIT: I ran it down with a mix of standby time and moderate to heavy use in around 11 hours. Pretty good I would say :)

Last edited:

me_droid

Reaction score
Same here, going to 3g only made a huge difference. No 4g in my immediate area so nothing lost by doing this. Wonder though why 4g on ICS would use more battery than on GB.

Last edited:

fastpat

Reaction score
In my opinion, battery life for the Droid 4, before ICS, wasn't good; now it is abysmal. With no possibility of a battery upgrade or replacement, I regard the D4 as substandard.

If there isn't an improvement soon, I'll leave the Droid/Android world for ever.

jsnweitzel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Hmmm I get 14 hours or so with wifi off and when on a good wifi I can get 30 or so.

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk 2

mattjenn

Reaction score
fastpat said:
In my opinion, battery life for the Droid 4, before ICS, wasn't good; now it is abysmal. With no possibility of a battery upgrade or replacement, I regard the D4 as substandard.

If there isn't an improvement soon, I'll leave the Droid/Android world for ever.

Have you tried booting into recovery and wiping cache? After ics update mine was terrible to but after wiping cache it was much better.

Sent from my DROID4 using Droid Forums