ICS battery life so disappointing...Is this normal?

yankaiyu

Reaction score
Just used OTA and updated to Verizon 4.0.4 ICS on my droid4. I have used the new system for about 48 hours.

Well, the body is a little hot... alright, the actual issue is that last night I fully charged my phone and went to sleep. 6 hours later when I woke up there's only 30% battery left and Android OS has taken up 85% of the power usage.... Is this normal?

Wifi off. Auto Sync/4G on. Not rooted yet, that is, the official rom state.

Well someone suggest the ICS system will first indexing the files so the battery life will be terrible for the first day. I just wanna know for you guys how long do you wait until the battery life get normal? two days a little too long?

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
It usually takes 1-2 days based on usage and how much stuff (photos, videos, etc.) that you have on your phone. Also, did you do a factory reset? It should be mandatory since it relieves most problems with the update.

sangelopez

Reaction score
Not so long ago i went to sleep for 6hrs and had a full charge and woke up 6hhrs later and it had been 6hrs on and still 100% but with smart actions on.

OP
Y

yankaiyu

Reaction score
It usually takes 1-2 days based on usage and how much stuff (photos, videos, etc.) that you have on your phone. Also, did you do a factory reset? It should be mandatory since it relieves most problems with the update.

Not really. I choose OTA partially because I don't wanna bother to re-install those apps and backup messages. Well, since factory reset is worth trying...anyway now I tried eclipse rom with factory reset. Decide to wait a couple days and see if i should use the low-voltage overclock patch. At least there are no longer so many useless pre-installed apps.

OP
Y

yankaiyu

Reaction score
Not so long ago i went to sleep for 6hrs and had a full charge and woke up 6hhrs later and it had been 6hrs on and still 100% but with smart actions on.

Ok. with the new rom i'll wait couple days. if nothing improved i'll try smart action. hope to be lucky enough to have the same battery life as yours.

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
Not really. I choose OTA partially because I don't wanna bother to re-install those apps and backup messages. Well, since factory reset is worth trying...anyway now I tried eclipse rom with factory reset. Decide to wait a couple days and see if i should use the low-voltage overclock patch. At least there are no longer so many useless pre-installed apps.

I'm running Eclipse too, good battery life and performance. It's not as customisable as other roms but at least it's not buggy.

silverfang77

Reaction score
For me, the battery drain culprit was the DRM Protected Content Storage, which ran under the Media service in the battery info screen. After freezing it in Titanium Backup, my battery performance went back to normal.

OP
Y

yankaiyu

Reaction score
For me, the battery drain culprit was the DRM Protected Content Storage, which ran under the Media service in the battery info screen. After freezing it in Titanium Backup, my battery performance went back to normal.

I see. Well in "Manage Apps">>"ALL" I can see the DRM Protected Content Storage service. I click it out and choose "disable" it. I don't know if this is an effective way to freeze a system service, or I have to use TiBu to do the work well? BTW after freezing the service how much improvement did u get?

OP
Y

yankaiyu

Reaction score
I'm running Eclipse too, good battery life and performance. It's not as customisable as other roms but at least it's not buggy.

The one I installed the the newly released 1.2.6 yesterday. Did u installed the oc ulv patch?

silverfang77

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with freezing apps natively in ICS, so can't say if that would work as well as TitBu or not. I'd say I got an 80% improvement.

Tappin' and talkin' with Tapatalk.

jsnweitzel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Yes you can disable app in ICS same as freezing. Although some can't be disabled and you have to uninstall any updates to the app first. Nice thing about this is no root required.

Regarding drm usage I heard somewhere that this can be caused by installing apps from amazon and the uninstalling the amazon app or by an older amazon app version.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

OP
Y

yankaiyu

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with freezing apps natively in ICS, so can't say if that would work as well as TitBu or not. I'd say I got an 80% improvement.

Tappin' and talkin' with Tapatalk.

wanna know before u freeze the app, is the DRM service always show if u open a task manager to see what's running? Well for my device, the service doesn't show up usually.. Freezed already anyway. I'm guessing maybe some other apps u installed is keep calling the DRM service?(I have Google Movie app installed, so this app should not be the reason)?

Last edited:

jsnweitzel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I don't use a task manager. You can kill apps, if you want with the app settings, under running apps or long press the home button and swipe. At home with strong wifi I get 30 hours and out with wifi off I get 14 hours or so battery life.

OP
Y

yankaiyu

Reaction score
I don't use a task manager. You can kill apps, if you want with the app settings, under running apps or long press the home button and swipe. At home with strong wifi I get 30 hours and out with wifi off I get 14 hours or so battery life.

Yeah I know that trick. But press the home button only show some recently use apps, not including services or widgets... Anyway task manager gives me a better view of what are running on my machine and I like the "kill all" function:)

Quick

Reaction score
Regarding drm usage I heard somewhere that this can be caused by installing apps from amazon and the uninstalling the amazon app or by an older amazon app version.

I did not see any measurable difference in battery use by freezing drm so it does indeed appear to be individual usage or non-stock app related.
On the other hand turning off Bluetooth when I'm not using it made a significant difference for me.

Anybody know off hand how the radios compare on battery consumption? For example is there a significant difference in draw (while idle and then while active using "normal" settings) between WiFi, Bluetooth, LTE, GPS?

(I know, I know... I'm off to use the search)

Last edited: