1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

ICS battery life so disappointing...Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 4' started by yankaiyu, Sep 12, 2012.

1. yankaiyu

yankaiyu New Member

Just used OTA and updated to Verizon 4.0.4 ICS on my droid4. I have used the new system for about 48 hours.

Well, the body is a little hot... alright, the actual issue is that last night I fully charged my phone and went to sleep. 6 hours later when I woke up there's only 30% battery left and Android OS has taken up 85% of the power usage.... Is this normal?

Wifi off. Auto Sync/4G on. Not rooted yet, that is, the official rom state.

Well someone suggest the ICS system will first indexing the files so the battery life will be terrible for the first day. I just wanna know for you guys how long do you wait until the battery life get normal? two days a little too long?
  2. orangechoochoo

orangechoochoo New Member

It usually takes 1-2 days based on usage and how much stuff (photos, videos, etc.) that you have on your phone. Also, did you do a factory reset? It should be mandatory since it relieves most problems with the update.
  3. sangelopez

sangelopez New Member

Not so long ago i went to sleep for 6hrs and had a full charge and woke up 6hhrs later and it had been 6hrs on and still 100% but with smart actions on.
  4. yankaiyu

yankaiyu New Member

Not really. I choose OTA partially because I don't wanna bother to re-install those apps and backup messages. Well, since factory reset is worth trying...anyway now I tried eclipse rom with factory reset. Decide to wait a couple days and see if i should use the low-voltage overclock patch. At least there are no longer so many useless pre-installed apps.
  5. yankaiyu

yankaiyu New Member

Ok. with the new rom i'll wait couple days. if nothing improved i'll try smart action. hope to be lucky enough to have the same battery life as yours.
  6. orangechoochoo

orangechoochoo New Member

I'm running Eclipse too, good battery life and performance. It's not as customisable as other roms but at least it's not buggy.
  7. silverfang77

silverfang77 Member

For me, the battery drain culprit was the DRM Protected Content Storage, which ran under the Media service in the battery info screen. After freezing it in Titanium Backup, my battery performance went back to normal.
  8. yankaiyu

yankaiyu New Member

I see. Well in "Manage Apps">>"ALL" I can see the DRM Protected Content Storage service. I click it out and choose "disable" it. I don't know if this is an effective way to freeze a system service, or I have to use TiBu to do the work well? BTW after freezing the service how much improvement did u get?
  9. yankaiyu

yankaiyu New Member

The one I installed the the newly released 1.2.6 yesterday. Did u installed the oc ulv patch?
  10. silverfang77

silverfang77 Member

I'm not familiar with freezing apps natively in ICS, so can't say if that would work as well as TitBu or not. I'd say I got an 80% improvement.

Tappin' and talkin' with Tapatalk.
  11. jsnweitzel

jsnweitzel Developer Developer

Yes you can disable app in ICS same as freezing. Although some can't be disabled and you have to uninstall any updates to the app first. Nice thing about this is no root required.

Regarding drm usage I heard somewhere that this can be caused by installing apps from amazon and the uninstalling the amazon app or by an older amazon app version.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
  12. yankaiyu

yankaiyu New Member

wanna know before u freeze the app, is the DRM service always show if u open a task manager to see what's running? Well for my device, the service doesn't show up usually.. Freezed already anyway. I'm guessing maybe some other apps u installed is keep calling the DRM service?(I have Google Movie app installed, so this app should not be the reason)?
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  13. jsnweitzel

I don't use a task manager. You can kill apps, if you want with the app settings, under running apps or long press the home button and swipe. At home with strong wifi I get 30 hours and out with wifi off I get 14 hours or so battery life.
  14. yankaiyu

yankaiyu New Member

Yeah I know that trick. But press the home button only show some recently use apps, not including services or widgets... Anyway task manager gives me a better view of what are running on my machine and I like the "kill all" function:)
  15. Quick

Quick New Member

I did not see any measurable difference in battery use by freezing drm so it does indeed appear to be individual usage or non-stock app related.
    On the other hand turning off Bluetooth when I'm not using it made a significant difference for me.

Anybody know off hand how the radios compare on battery consumption? For example is there a significant difference in draw (while idle and then while active using "normal" settings) between WiFi, Bluetooth, LTE, GPS?

(I know, I know... I'm off to use the search)
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  16. jsnweitzel

Killing apps actually slows down your phone. Having a bunch of free ram in android is just wasting it. It's not like windows.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
  17. yankaiyu

yankaiyu New Member

The second night, with wifi on. Fully charged and 8 hours later still 90%. However if I turn wifi-off, my phone become hot again and battery drop fast. By the afternoon it require charger again. Not sure it's still indexing files or it is the 4G LTE that causes the hot and battery life issue. Gonna wait several days and see if it can improve.
  18. myfishbear

myfishbear Developer Developer

the stock profiles for the cpu drain power like no other.... my oc scripts on my rom sip power in comparison... the phone is also colder to the touch... you should try it out..
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-4-roms/223965-eclipse-ics-droid-4-a.html#post2267628
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  19. yankaiyu

yankaiyu New Member

Hi. Actually I just took your rom the day before yesterday. The eclipse 1.2.6. As u mentioned the first couple days battery life will be terrible. So i'm still waiting until the battery life becomes stable. By the way when I first installed your 1.2.6 rom I installed the 1320 oc ulv patch together without the speedscript. Then the first reboot my device get freezed on the booting logo. So i did a reset and installed your rom without any patch.

Just wanna know if it this like the speed script must be installed together with the oc patch, or it is like the first reboot requires a lot of system resources so an unstable cpu is easy to get died and I should install the patch some days later? And if I choose to install a underclock lv patch, do I need to install the speed patch? Thanks! Your rom seems to be really tight and clean. Hope it can solve my battery life problem.
  20. myfishbear

myfishbear Developer Developer

you dont need both but i recommend both... you should re dl the 1320lv oc patch, i just edited a problem with a couple profiles... thats why you arent saving power yet...
    when you boot use setcpu to change the values to hotplugx and noop..
    also use up all your batt till it dies and charge the phone up in the charge only mode with the stock charger... this calibrates your battery... this is the mode with the big battery on the screen
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
Search tags for this page
android 4.0 battery life issues
android 4.0.4 battery drain
android 4.0.4 battery life
android 4.0.4 battery problems
android ice cream sandwich battery drain
android ics battery drain
battery life thunderbolt 4.0

drm protected content storage

drm protected content storage battery drain
drm reset in ics