ICS 4g/3g Enable/Disable Battery Drain

subaruwrx88011

Reaction score
Got the update for ICS for my bionic. Was initially excited because it is about time.
Having alot of slowdown problems like everyone else, however.....

I can't (or is isn't an option) turn off LTE and just run the phone on 3g. That is what I have done ever since I got the phone because LTE drains the battery in 3ish hrs. 3g only, my phone will last all day.

Anyone know how to do this, or did Motorola just make my phone operable for only 3 hours by "upgrading" it?

*I HATE THIS PHONE and MOTOROLA*.

mattjenn

Reaction score
On my DROID 4 and bionic I have used HTC lte on/off from the market works great on most moto phones make sure read instructions though you wanna be on cdma auto prl I believe

Sent from my DROID4 using Droid Forums

dg5301

Reaction score
Yes, that app works for most folks, but I've got to ask whether you have cleared your cache or tried a factory data reset since the upgrade. In the last month or so on ICS .246 and .247, I've averaged 1.5 to 2 days between charges with extended battery, and my wife always gets at least a full day out of her regular battery. It's going to vary depending on each person's data use, but it just seems like something else has to be going on.

pjgrethel

Reaction score
Battery Drain Since Software Update of 10-22-12

Got the update for ICS for my bionic. Was initially excited because it is about time.

I can't (or is isn't an option) turn off LTE and just run the phone on 3g. That is what I have done ever since I got the phone because LTE drains the battery in 3ish hrs. 3g only, my phone will last all day.

Anyone know how to do this, or did Motorola just make my phone operable for only 3 hours by "upgrading" it?

I too am having a battery drain since I downloaded the latest software updates. I went from having my phone last all day (and more) to having it last about 3 hours. This happens even with everything turned off except the basic phone and I'm not even using it. According to the battery app, the O/S is using 59% of the battery life. I went to my local Verizon store and they told me they were getting many complaints about this but that it was a Motorola problem and that I should contact them or I could purchase a $60 extended battery....yeah, right. I contacted a service agent who gave me some directions on re-booting the phone and doing a recovery and partition wipe, but that has not worked. It still only goes 3 hours.

I agree, Motorola sucks. Before I buy an extended battery, I'll buy a new phone and it won't be a Motorola...every again. Give me back the old software!

Reaction score

There is an app in the Play Store for toggling LTE: "LTE OnOff"

bbrnkyle

Reaction score
OK.. First time posting on here.. Got the OTA update to 4.0.4 on my bionic.. Downloaded LTE on/off to kill the 4G due to SERIOUS battery drain.. Switched it over to CDMA auto.. No problem. Went right into 3G.. Worked great for the first few days.. Now I cant get the 4G to turn back on at all. When I put it back on LTE/CDMA/EvDo the network type shows up as unknown:0 GPRS also shows disconnected.. It still works on a co-workers Bionic.. I'm at a loss here.. I have tried leaving the battery out for about 10 minutes. Holding the power button with battery out.. Nothing.. I figured it would reboot to factory settings.. NOPE!!!

UPDATE!!! Figurd it out!!! DON'T go into wireless & networks /Mobile Networks while in CDMA auto.. This sets the phone to 3G only. To get the 4G back I had to set it to LTE/CDMA/EvDo, pulled the battery and waited a minute.. When it rebooted I had 4G back.. I hope this helps other people that may have this same problem..

Last edited:

2THEXTRM

Reaction score
I ended up with an FDR to fix the same problem. LTE on/off switch started acting up immediately after i installed it and without wifi my data was sporadic.

Not sure what caused this, the app itself or another app not playing Nice with it, either way, i haven't reinstalled after the FDR and i just deal with weak a 4g area.

Sent from my Supasonic Bionic!

bbrnkyle

Reaction score
I ended up with an FDR to fix the same problem. LTE on/off switch started acting up immediately after i installed it and without wifi my data was sporadic.

Not sure what caused this, the app itself or another app not playing Nice with it, either way, i haven't reinstalled after the FDR and i just deal with weak a 4g area.

Sent from my Supasonic Bionic!
FDR meaning reset?? Not good with short hand.. lol

bbrnkyle

Reaction score

Don't hate the phone... Hate the update..