Icons not appearing on home screen for an extnded period

linklarken

Reaction score
I have the original Droid (A855) and came a from a BB Storm and have LOVED this phone. But in the past month or 2, whenever I'd come out of an app back to the home screen, my icons on the home screen or 4 side screens won't appear for an extended period of time. Sometimes it's 1 minute, sometimes it's 10. So I went to a VZW store and was told I'd pretty much have to wipe my phone clean. I went to another store and the tech took my phone, apparently did a few tests and then installed another advanced task killer app and said if the issue continues, to call VZW and they'll send another phone. So I did that, got a 'reconditioned' phone and reinstalled most of the apps I had on my old phone. The result? Same issue. My question to the group is whether there are specific known apps that cause this, is there a fix? I LOVE this phone, but this is the same crap I was dealing with my BB Storm and I've had enough. Please advise!!!!!

Natey2

Reaction score
Do you have many onscreen folders with widgets/shortcuts inside?

Do many of the widgets/shortcuts point to apps that are in SD (instead of in the phone)?

Do you have a fast (Class 6 or better) SD card?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
Well first of all, welcome to the forum.

Now, first thing you need to do is get rid of the Task Killer. I know Verizon is pushing them but with the Android OS you do not need them and the TK actually causes more problems than it solves. Once it is gone, while the phone is on, pull the battery wait a about a minute then put the battery back in and restart your phone. You will notice better battery life without the task killer first off. Now if your lag continues you have a couple of options. You can do a factory reset yourself which may or may not fix the issue. You want to also think back to when the lag started..... did you install a new app like a replacement home?? If so that app maybe causing the lag. I would suggest removing any new apps you have installed around the time the lag started and see if that fixes the issue. If these two things does not fix the lag you may want to look into rooting your phone and putting a different ROM on it. Now this is an extreme measure and rooting is not for everyone so I would suggest you try other things before making that jump. Also if you decide you want to root, please do your homework first and read up on the process before you try it.

OP
L

linklarken

Reaction score
Natey2 - I think the only widget I have is the calendar widget which is on the main (center) screen. I can't say with any certainty where the apps are loaded, but I try to put them on the SD card as often as possible. The card itself is a 16gb micro SD HC card that came with the device when I bought it. As for the class, I don't know, there is a marking with a 2 inside of a C. Not sure if that means anything.

dlwhtrose - The apps that I have on were the ones that have been on the phone long before this issue started. As previously posted, I did receive a "factory refurb" phone and am having the exact same issue, though to a slightly lesser extent. The Flextronix guy in the VZW store on Madison & 43rd in NY took off the task killer and put on a Battery Booster and Astro File Manager v2.5.2 and told me to run it twice per day to kill all apps/processes etc. The funny thing was he ran it, then hit my home button and the screen was blank and took more than a 15 seconds for the icons to populate. He said that's normal and that you need to give the phone a minute to "refresh".

My main frustration is that this phone was buzzing like a champ for the first 8-9 months that I've owned it. Now, it's running like a BB Storm and it makes me want to throw it in the trash. Am I wrong in saying that I shouldn't have to do a battery pull/factory refresh/rooting to get this phone to operate like it was sold as? I have to imagine it's an app that's causing this, but again, I've not added any crazy apps other than mostly utility/game apps, and of those they are generally well rated as I read a lot of the comments before downloading. I appreciate your responses, and look forward to other suggestions to fix this issue.

linklarken

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
As apps get more demanding there is only so much the Droid can handle. If you don't root you might as well start to get used to it. If you're using ADW or Launcher Pro try setting them to lock in memory. That's about all you can do.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
I think at this point the best thing to do is a factory reset then add your apps back slowly and see if the lag presents itself again and if so after which app is installed. I have a feeling that an update to one of your apps maybe causing the conflict. As the newer phones and operating systems come out the developers of the different apps are updating their apps. Some of these updates, I feel, are pushing the original stock droid to its limits. My Droid 1 is rooted and I am starting to notice a lag getting back to my home screen as well. As frustrating as it is, I have come to accept that my poor Droid maybe getting tired. (I have put it through quite a bit). Sorry that I do not have a better solution for you but that is my advice.

Natey2

Reaction score
As apps get more demanding there is only so much the Droid can handle. If you don't root you might as well start to get used to it. If you're using ADW or Launcher Pro try setting them to lock in memory. That's about all you can do.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Would rooting in itself solve the problem?
He'd have to root, and then freeze some apps and/or install a new ROM, right?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App