Icons Disappear from Home Screen

OP
B

BriDroid

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks! I'll try it the next time it happens and report the results.

grandnoble

Reaction score
It works!

I registered here, just so I could confirm the steps listed above work!
I've been having this problem almost as long as I've had my MotoDroid.
Been too lazy to google a solution before today.

Thanks so much DarkGreen.

darkgreen

Reaction score
It works!

I registered here, just so I could confirm the steps listed above work!
I've been having this problem almost as long as I've had my MotoDroid.
Been too lazy to google a solution before today.

Thanks so much DarkGreen.

You're welcome! I've used this trick a bunch of times now and it's always worked for me. I also experimented and figured out that it was the CalWidget calendar widget doing it for me. It seems to freeze until it gets data back from a network call and sometimes the data doesn't return, nice programming there. Unfortunately I really like the calendar view so I'm keeping it!

ProtocolOH

Reaction score
Aha, there is a solution.

See here, and summarized for people:

Cause: Usually a problem with a homescreen widget.

How to get your icons back without a restart: Stop the "Home" process

* Go to Settings > Applications > Manage applications
* Menu Click and Filter for "Running"
* Find "Home" and click on it
* Click "Force Stop"

Your icons/widgets should now reappear.

I'll try this next time it happens to verify. See if you can fix it by removing a widget...

FWIW, I think "Home" was renamed "Launcher" in FroYo (2.2). At the least, there is no "Home", and "Launcher" has the same icon.

I've had the same problem on my Moto Droid, pre-2.2 and post. I tried restarting and my icons didn't come back, so I went and redeployed a new set of icons. Problem is, every once in a while, I would find duplicate or moved icons on one of my screens, presumably one of the "old" icons coming back from the dead. I've now written down what I had on each screen, trashed every icon, punted Launcher, and restarted, just for kicks. Hopefully that'll clear out any old stuff. I do have the "icon delay" problem that seems to be inherent to 2.2 as well (no active wallpaper or anything, just one widget for the battery).

EDIT: Wow, doing a "Clear Data" on "Launcher" sure does the trick. Basically reverts the home screens to factory defaults. Puts a news + weather widget on page 2, the Google search bar and a Droid helper widget on the home screen, and the Market widget on page 4. That's one way to reset one's configuration.

Last edited:

zakky12

Reaction score
Aha, there is a solution.

See here, and summarized for people:

Cause: Usually a problem with a homescreen widget.

How to get your icons back without a restart: Stop the "Home" process

* Go to Settings > Applications > Manage applications
* Menu Click and Filter for "Running"
* Find "Home" and click on it
* Click "Force Stop"

Your icons/widgets should now reappear.

I'll try this next time it happens to verify. See if you can fix it by removing a widget...

I was fooling around and stumbled on this on my own with no problems with my phone, and did it, now it has the problem CONSTENTLY! if anyone finds a permanant fix, let me know